PDA

View Full Version : Floating floor, first time renovator!

nine-to-fiver
13th August 2004, 12:13 PM
Hi Guys and gals,
Undertaking a very large reno, 100mts sqr +. We are going to, i think put down engineered hard wood floating floor called BIG RIVER. We have read and the sales stuff now we want to here the truth.....
If anyone has used this product befor, or if anyone has any feelings on engineered hard wood floating flooring, any feed back would be great.

Thanks,

Scott.

nik
13th August 2004, 12:27 PM
the only thing that I have done is laminate flooring a couple of times, and that stuff is so simple to put down even a toddler could do it. But I have no idea about the stuff you are talking about. Is it a solid timber floor with a click system or is it like a natural flooring which is like laminate but it is actually real timber? If it has one of those simple click systems then how hard can it be? When I done the laminate flooring I used just the tongue and groove with glue and it turned out great.

nine-to-fiver
13th August 2004, 01:08 PM
Hi nik

The best that i can do is post the link,

www.bigrivertimbers.com.au (http://www.bigrivertimbers.com.au)

It look very good to me but i have never used floating floor befor.

Regards,

Scott.

nik
13th August 2004, 01:28 PM
well it looks like nice stuff. All i can say is take your time, follow the instructions and make sure you have the tools for the job, that is the little kits that they sell to install the flooring. It looks like tongue and groove, so make sure that you have a nice tight fit between joins and then you will be set. As i said, i've never actually worked with this stuff before, but i have used laminate flooring which is thinner, but it has it's pro's and cons, i.e nomatter how blind you are the laminate will always look like just that, laminate.

Good luck.

Nik.

Trav
13th August 2004, 03:50 PM
I've laid floating floors before. They are really good, but don't think that it will look or feel exactly the same as solid timber.

Laying is easy. Start along your longest wall (assuming it is parallel to the direction you want to lay the boards). If you are doing a whole house it is often the hallway/loungeroom.

Make sure you keep your spacing around walls etc. Normally 10 mm or so. First board goes down with the tongue against the wall. Glue goes along the bottom of the groove and then tap the next board in.

I suggest that you lift the skirting boards before you start - otherwise you can use that beading stuff, but I think lifting skirting boards looks much better. It is hard to get the beading to fit perfectly around doorways etc.

Good luck

Trav

TassieKiwi
13th August 2004, 04:41 PM
We get all of our formply from this lot, which is A1 stuff. Our contact is Aaron Martello - good bloke.

Cassandra
13th August 2004, 07:30 PM
we just put in a new floor in the kitchen. If you go back in the pervious posts you'll see info and pics. It was industfloor. Avaiable in Sydney near the airport........Hubby thought it was hard at first but ended up to be ok. It is ownderful and so easy to keep clean. Hasn't got a mark on it!
I think it's beautiful.
Cass :)