PDA

View Full Version : Drilling a hole in high speed steel

Tiger
6th November 2009, 10:31 PM
I need to drill a 5 mm hole in 3 mm thick high speed steel, is that possible with common workshop tools?

DavidG
6th November 2009, 10:35 PM
Yes. I bought a special drill at Bunnings to drill out a HSS drill I broke off in a hole.
Went thorough it like going through butter.

Tiger
6th November 2009, 10:42 PM
Dave, is that a special drill or special drill bit? Have you got more information?

DavidG
6th November 2009, 10:45 PM
Just the drill bit. About $5.00 i think.

Woodlee
6th November 2009, 11:04 PM
I need to drill a 5 mm hole in 3 mm thick high speed steel, is that possible with common workshop tools?

I've used a masonry drill in the past , sharpened and run at slow speed with plenty of coolant .
If you run the masonry drill at too high a speed the silver solder that hold the tip in will melt and then you are in the proverbial.

Kev.

neksmerj
7th November 2009, 03:50 PM
DavidG,

When you say "special drill bit", can you be more specific. For example, was it a solid carbide bit?

If not, what type of drill bit was it?

Ken

Kody
7th November 2009, 05:13 PM
You need a solid tungsten carbide drill without any twist in the flutes. Use a slow speed, about 100 to 120 rpm with a good cutting lubricant. Be very careful as the drill breaks thru, the part can chip out or even shatter. It sounds like you are drilling thru a power hacksaw blade. Are you making a knife or is this something special? You may need a slower speed that what I suggested. Don't put too much pressure on the drill and make sure you wear safety goggles and protective clothing. When HSS shatters, it explodes like a bullet.

Kody

China
7th November 2009, 10:02 PM
You can buy a "cobolt" drill at most decent tool suppliers and that will do the job, but be aware what ever you use you will need to take your time

Tiger
8th November 2009, 08:23 AM
Thanks, guys.

Kody, you're right, I was planning to make some knives out of HSS power hacksaw blade. Yet to find some rivets though.

wheelinround
8th November 2009, 08:55 AM
Thanks, guys.

Kody, you're right, I was planning to make some knives out of HSS power hacksaw blade. Yet to find some rivets though.

Thanks Tiger for bring up the HSS drilling question.

Hope you have better luck with the rivets than I have had. I got some brass and alli at last off a friend. Blackwoods do have them in catalouge but when Fletty went to pick them up :no: none in stock, being a division of Wesfarmers owner of Bunnings what you reckon :roll:

BobL
8th November 2009, 09:13 AM
Be very careful as the drill breaks thru, the part can chip out or even shatter.

I've used a range of sharpened TC masonry bits and cobalt drills etc
One way to minimize this is, if you can, once the drill breaks thru to start drilling from the other side.

I've never had any HSS shatter or silver solder melt but I've had several TC bits crumble from too high a pressure.