PDA

View Full Version : Remote on/off switch

GC
7th November 2009, 12:15 AM
Hi All,

Has anyone seen a movable or remote on/off switch available somewhere.
I am not a massive fan of leaning passed the wood to turn the lathe off.

Ideally I would like a magnetic one that can be attached to the right side of the lathe. At worst a powerboard with on/off buttons.

Thanks in advance

GC

steck
7th November 2009, 05:51 AM
I bought a powerboard from Bunnies with a foot control button. It is fine for switching off, but my lathe (Jet 1642) has a magnetic safety switch so I cannot use the powerboard to switch it back on. A bit of a PIA drawback but a cheap way to safely turn off.
It has spring loaded shutters over the power points to keep dust out!

rsser
7th November 2009, 06:46 AM
Look at the Aussie PWS site (forum sponsor here); they have a couple of mushroom switch boxes that are inline with the power supply. Stick your own rare earth magnet on with superglue. Here: http://www.woodworksupplies.com.au/category105_1.htm

Don't buy cheap foot switches ... at least not without looking at the earth wiring inside.

hughie
7th November 2009, 10:35 AM
GC,

As Ern has mentioned they are available, another alternative is to make your via a tame electrician .

I'm not a real big fan of floor switches etc, they tend to get buried in the chips etc and can hard to operate in an emergency.Plus the earthing issues, although if wired according to Aust standards they will be fine.

I have one and don't use it as when I get turning especially roughing out. I am often knee deep in chips and curlies. This pretty well renders my floor switch useless, not too mention hard to find :U

Ed Reiss
7th November 2009, 12:54 PM
on the other hand, I swear by using a foot switch...even with a bunch of curlies on the floor I make sure that it stays clear of shavings. The switch comes in particularly handy when doing a hollow vessel with a smallish hole...I want to be certain that the lathe has stopped before retrieving the cutting edge...don't want to bugger up the rim.:doh:

rsser
7th November 2009, 01:54 PM
Well if you get a mushroom switch in a box you can put it wherever best suits the current need. Knee, elbow, foot, forehead ...

metester
7th November 2009, 06:21 PM
I bought an Arlec version from Home Hardware. It comes with a remote control and four seperate units that plug into standard power outlets. The remote control has four seperate on and standby buttons and the individual units can be programmed for each button. I use it to remote power on and off my dust extraction unit. I also added some velcro so I can place it wherever is handy. It works quite well. I also have one that is suited for outdoor use and it controls my outdoor lighting.

The link for the outdoor one is here (http://arlec.com.au/display.php?pid=75). I couldn't locate the indoor one.

scotty60
7th November 2009, 11:35 PM
Ive got the same with lathe, disc sander, scroll saw saw and light connnect to it and it works a treat,just use the button on the remote to turn on and off.

rsser
8th November 2009, 06:30 AM
So GC is it an emergency switch you are looking for or just a remote?

GC
8th November 2009, 10:57 AM
An emergency stop switch which I can locate on the right side of the lathe instead of having to lean passed the work.

Thanks for suggestions so far

GC