PDA

View Full Version : Tumble Rings

joe greiner
7th November 2009, 02:07 PM
I thought it would be interesting to make a set of tumble rings (aka magic chain or drop chain illusion) of wood in lieu of metal. It turned out to be more interesting than I wanted. I'd made a set from split metal rings about 30 years ago, and saved the instructions. But after moving from Long Beach CA to Seattle, and then from Seattle to Tallahassee, and then once within Tallahassee, both the rings and the instructions were hard to find. It was easier to start over, with assistance from Google. And I came upon a video with an elegant assembly procedure to make things even better. The only hiccup in the searches is that "tumble rings" and "magic chain" can refer to other devices.

I initially intended to make a set with only 8 rings, because that would be sufficient to illustrate the mechanism. But before assembling them, I decided to make another batch. With an extra ring to allow for mistakes, and an initial test ring, the total became 18. I took some WIP photos of the second batch, including the assembly process.

The timber is mahogany, a roadside orphan salvaged from a neighbour's billiard table. It had been damaged by basement flooding during last year's hurricane Fay. Most of the upper frame was in good condition, and it's been stored in my timber cache. It was likely originally kiln-dried, and it's very stable now.

I turned the outsides of the rings on a faceplate. I mounted them on my large Longworth chuck to turn the insides, re-mounted to turn their other faces; and used the same process for sanding the insides. And again for polishing with EEE, as well as for applying and buffing paste wax. On the first batch, I hogged out the insides, the same as for turning a bowl; for most of the second batch, I got the brilliant idea of coring them to retrieve the cores for later projects. This worked reasonably well. The brightly-coloured mason's twine on the template is an aid to recovering the template from piles of shavings.

I mounted the rings on my small Longworth chuck to polish and wax the outsides. I found that in expansion mode, the buttons didn't need to be tightened, because centrifugal force (or centripetal, if you must) is adequate for the task at hand; I won't rely on that for finishing bowl bottoms, though.

Only half of the rings need to be broken for assembly. I labelled the broken rings to preserve the mating relationships. I assembled the whole set, using masking tape as temporary bandages, to verify proper construction and operation. I glued each broken ring with CA, while maintaining the assembly. The makeshift bridge assisted in holding the parts. I abandoned the food wrap and the proctologist's gloves, probably too soon. I used masking tape to clamp the glued joints, and that was also not a perfect solution; some of the glue extruded from the joints, and had to be cleaned afterwards.

I replaced the labels with burnt dots, similar to pips on a die, in case of future breakage. When the glue has finally cured, and breakage is unlikely, I'll address re-finishing those regions.

To the best of my knowledge, this is the only execution of tumble rings made of wood. Each ring is 5-1/2" OD, with 5/8" diameter body. The overall assembly is about 6" wide x 42" high. In operation, they're slightly louder than conventional sets made of metal.

I suppose they could have been made from dowels, steamed and bent, but that would have been a PITA itself.

The first picture is a stereo pair, with exaggerated baseline of about 5" vs. 2-1/2" normal eyeball separation. It can be free-viewed by aiming each eye on the separate images. If the images on your monitor are more than 2-1/2" apart, you should adjust your monitor's resolution for best results. I've included clues to how I combined the images into a single picture.

Cheers,
Joe

jefferson
7th November 2009, 02:13 PM
Joe, you have a serious problem...... Time much time on your hands. :D:D:D

I'll tackle that project in 2028.

PS. I don't like the look of that nasty tool, second last photo.

I wish you guys would stop flooding my head with information. But I do admire what you all do. :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

joe greiner
7th November 2009, 02:25 PM
Not as nasty as it looks, Jeff. Even the thumbnail image is three or four times actual size. The blowup is horrendous.:oo:

Cheers,
Joe

jefferson
7th November 2009, 02:49 PM
Sorry, Joe. I don't believe you. It looks damned nasty. What's so wrong about rolling beads with a gouge??? :?

You would cut your hand off in no time flat with that beast..... It's got me wondering.... :D:D:D

joe greiner
7th November 2009, 10:21 PM
Ah. A slight misunderstanding here. The second to last photo is merely cleaning up the glue squeeze-out after final assembly - all stationary. There were a total of 43 pictures in the sequence; I selected 10 for upload, including the stereo combination.

All of the real turning was done with a bowl gouge (the timber is cross-grain). And, except for some rough shaping, only the coring was done with the Oland tool. The tool rest contains the core against orbiting.

I hope this allays your concerns. When/if I use an X-acto knife or razor blade for turning, it won't be that way.:oo:

Cheers,
Joe

Ed Reiss
7th November 2009, 11:11 PM
neat project Joe :2tsup: ....tried the stereo thing, had to get real close to the monitor to get the effect, but my eyesight is so bad that it was blurry.....old age !!! :(

artme
7th November 2009, 11:27 PM
Clever lad!!1:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Obviously you have lots of patience.:U

jefferson
8th November 2009, 07:48 AM
Ah. A slight misunderstanding here. The second to last photo is merely cleaning up the glue squeeze-out after final assembly - all stationary. There were a total of 43 pictures in the sequence; I selected 10 for upload, including the stereo combination.

All of the real turning was done with a bowl gouge (the timber is cross-grain). And, except for some rough shaping, only the coring was done with the Oland tool. The tool rest contains the core against orbiting.

I hope this allays your concerns. When/if I use an X-acto knife or razor blade for turning, it won't be that way.:oo:

Cheers,
Joe

Now I get it.... Slow learner here, Joe. :B

Impressive project too.

hughie
9th November 2009, 08:47 AM
Nice one Joe, you have more patience than me :no: :U

joe greiner
9th November 2009, 10:10 PM
neat project Joe :2tsup: ....tried the stereo thing, had to get real close to the monitor to get the effect, but my eyesight is so bad that it was blurry.....old age !!! :(

The stereo effect seems to work on the thumbnail, Ed, although not as pronounced. Free-viewing takes some practice, though; aiming far away, but focusing closer - hard to make them independent, especially at our ages.

More persistence than patience, mates. If I really had patience, the glue joints would have been better.:-

Cheers,
Joe

govarney
9th November 2009, 10:24 PM
I printed the stereo image out at 125% of orginal size. Made it easy to view.

joe greiner
9th November 2009, 11:17 PM
That's close to the limit for expansion, G.O. Just about 2-1/2" image separation (usual eyeball distance apart). Beyond that, you'd need to go wall-eyed. Please don't jeopardize your vision for the sake of this trick.

Cheers,
Joe