PDA

View Full Version : Hare & Forbes Sale

brisbanefitter
7th November 2009, 06:06 PM
Hi All,
As I am sure a few of you are aware the Hare & Forbes sale is on next weekend.
They are doing sale prices early (in Brissie at least) if you want to get in before the rush and secure the stock they have on hand.
I was in Brisbane store the other day and was offerred sale prices on the spot from the flyer, and I didnt even know the flyer existed, the guy went inside and got it when we were at the desk sorting the invoice and next thing he is chopping the price down on my lonely little drill set purshase, and they were even going to take a punt and guess what the sale prices for items not listed in flyer would be.
If anybody is thinking about getting something during the sale, try it out before it starts as the feeling I got from the sales guys up here is it might be a bit busy come Thursday, Wednesday even.

YeahNah
10th November 2009, 07:50 PM
Good to know. I am keen to know what the price reductions will like as I am planning on buying a dust extractor and either a Table Saw or jointer. Their show prices were quite good, so I am hopingthey at least match them. Considering our dollar is up, I think there's cause for optimism.

Jimako
10th November 2009, 08:50 PM
Hi, I was there on Monday and i got the AL336 Package of the catalog at the special sale price, They were happy to give me the sale price as long as i paid for it in full. Ill be picking it up not this Saturday but the next when i hopefully finish building my trailer.

So it might pay to get down there early to beat the rush,

Big Shed
11th November 2009, 09:39 PM
I was at H&F Melbourne today, looking at a new wood lathe, and some of the prices they are offering on their machinery, metal and wood working, are very impressive.

Not just the stuff in the brochure, but most gear is discounted.

In fact they knocked off a further 10% on the wood lathe price, without being asked, only valid during the sale.

If you are in the market for machinery, the next 3 days might be worth a visit to H&F.

One of the prices I noticed was on the AL-30 Mini Lathe, priced down to $720 inc GST.

brisbanefitter
11th November 2009, 10:28 PM
definitely worth a look, I was in the Brisbane store again today (for work, picking up some spares for a tool holder and some inserts) and there is a buzz about the place, you could get a good deal on just about everything.
In Brisbane it turns out there will be a guy demonstrating an AL-336 lathe, I think something to do with welders and demo on uses of the multitool, plus sausage sizzle etc. Wish work would have sent me tomorrow so I could get a few free sausages :U

YeahNah
11th November 2009, 10:34 PM
I think I will definitely head to there Saturday morning. If anyone goes tomorrow or Friday, I'd love to get an idea of the type of discounts i.e 10% or better.

artme
12th November 2009, 06:32 AM
Nuff to make a bloke cry!:C

Here I am thousands of kms. away, drooling.

Good luck to those who can get there!!!:2tsup:

Dave J
12th November 2009, 02:57 PM
We could send you a sausage sandwich (as there free), but it would be stale by the time it gets over there.
Dont worry I am only an hour away and wont be getting there. After buying a shaper my funds are limited at the moment.
Dave

.RC.
12th November 2009, 06:52 PM
Here I am thousands of kms. away, drooling.

I doubt whether I would be drooling...They would not be selling anything at the sale for a loss..

brisbanefitter
12th November 2009, 07:54 PM
who in their right mind would be selling anything for a loss, it is a sale because the prices are below those printed in catalogue and displayed on website on most items.

Do you really think anybody (except those having a fire sale, or auction after they have gone broke, possible because they were selling the goods at a loss in the first place) would sell anything at a loss?

Dave J
12th November 2009, 08:24 PM
It just seems like a big discounts because of the recent price rise, but now the dollar is up the prices are coming down anyway. I see alot of things in the sale that are only back to the listed prices in the catalog a year and a half ago before the big rise. It sounds good at the moment but I think after the sale you will see the standard prices falling as the dollar is up to $0.93 and expected to go up more yet. I noticed that when the prices went up that they were still selling some machine that were dated 1- 2 years prior that they had bought cheaper. I learned from ny experience with them, they are only in it for the money.
Dave

artme
13th November 2009, 01:34 AM
We could send you a sausage sandwich (as there free), but it would be stale by the time it gets over there. Dave

Thanks for the thought>:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::q

artme
13th November 2009, 01:36 AM
I doubt whether I would be drooling...They would not be selling anything at the sale for a loss..

Mate if you saw the price of the rubbish here, you would be drooling, believe me!!

Would be worth paying excess luggage.

brisbanefitter
13th November 2009, 10:40 PM
and please enlighten me as to which retailers, of any chain large or small are not "in it" for the money. Its a business, business does not survive if it does not make money. every business has a break even figure that they must reach, anything on top of that is profit for the owners or shareholder or whoever, but it is profit.
remember, large retailers have large overheads, therefore the break even figure is higher than the backyard jack who sells out of a shipping container. large retailers offer after sales servise, warranty, etc etc all at cost to them, again the break even point is higher than backyard jack and his shipping container.

with reference to your remark about things only being back to prices of 18 months ago, tell me what retailer who relies on buying in the US dollar that absorbed a 30% loss in profits when the #### fell out of the market.

exhange rates are up, yes, but if you have ever been privvy to the way in which bulk imports work, you would know that goods are paid for when they ship, up to 8 weeks before they land in aus, so yes exchange rates factor in but it is not instant. if the dollar continues to rise I would expect all retailers to gradually lower prices except those who are greedy and think the everyday man in the street is stupid and doesnt know what is going on in the world around them.

lastly, i find it hard to beleive a comany the size of H&F would still hold stock that is 2 years old. every time I have been to the Brisbane store there is 1 or 2 containers sitting outside being unloaded with stuff that varies from small boxed goods to large machine tools, this stuff must be going somewhere and I would think the stock held that is that old would be minimal, if any, probably display stock which you would normally find being sold off cheap after 2 years of the public molesting it.

everybody could hang off and wait 3 months to see if the stock they bring in falls to a lower price based on exchange rate alone, but if you want to buy now at a price that is mower than what the current market conditions demand then it really is a sale.

each to their own really, if you think that H&F is just in it for the money, or any other retailer of any kind of any goods anywhere in the world for that matter, and everybody else is there for other reasons like just being a service for the public then knock yourself out, dont go anywhere and buy anything and next time you go to woolys or coles or bi lo or aldi and buy an item because it is "on special" tell yourself it isnt the same thing, that they put it on sale out of the kindness of their hearts, and that they are just there to service you and are not "in it" just for the money.

Dave J
14th November 2009, 09:36 AM
brisbanefitter,
I can enlighten you, 3 months ago I had a HM52 delivered that was a 10/2007 model, they had another two in Sydney of the same vintage and 2 in Brisbane, the Sydney manager (Matt) confirmed this (they buy them by the 40ft container load). Also they still have old stock at least 2yr old of the AL540, the grey ones (also bought by the container load) that they have reduced to get rid of.
I never asked anyone to hold off for 3 months to buy, thats would be up to you.
As far as them making money, I was referring to there after sale and customer service after spending so much with them.
I don't think sarcasm on the forum is really needed or necessary. We are all only here to learn/share ideas and help encourage others.
Dave

wheelinround
14th November 2009, 03:42 PM
Went to H&F's Sydney today plenty of time spent droolling over the Metal lathes and mills as well as the Scheppac / Bisato BS. Spent just over $20 a 90deg 4" bend for the busty and a magnetic pick up.
Matt's was tops as usual shame he doesn't get much time on these days.

They had one of the large $160k CNC machines making bottle openers. Lathe, Mill and Kitty demos.

brisbanefitter
14th November 2009, 07:01 PM
dave,
point taken.
i was sharing my opinion and obviosly i misuderstood the meaning of your post. there was no sarcasm in any of what i wrote. it annoys me when people sit back and point the finger at business that is only doing what it does to be profitable, all business does it from the small buy to the big goys like the banks and supermarket chains. some are sneakier than others in the way they do it.

it seems odd to be getting a machine that old only 3 months ago.
the lathes you refer to are not that old, at least the ones in Brisbane are not, they have/had blue ones for that same price, i think the website picture may be wrong.

as for the service you received I had read about this in your previous posts and it is a shame to see how it all played out for you.

apolgies if i offended

Dave J
14th November 2009, 09:37 PM
brisbanefitter,
Maybe I should have worded my post a bit different, but sorted now anyway.

You have a PM from me,if you have the time it might be worth a read.
Dave

brisbanefitter
14th November 2009, 10:28 PM
PM replied too, all good, no hard feelings