PDA

View Full Version : Help identify timber

palace
7th November 2009, 08:44 PM
Greetings

I'm a newbie and was hoping someone would be able to help identify the type of timber used in the construction of some chairs we just picked up. The timber seems to be a fine grain slight reddish or brown colour. I know it is not pine or jarrah and not having the experience yet, my knowledge is a bit limited.

Appreciate any help

Cheers
Peter

artme
8th November 2009, 12:16 AM
G´day palace and welcome to the show.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Can´t give you any real help on the timber. I would say the chairs are imported and not so old. Witness the slot head screw.

Woodwould
8th November 2009, 01:16 PM
Rimu or some other pale timber? I agree, not more than a decade or two old.

artme
9th November 2009, 12:21 AM
Don't think it's Rimu Woodwould. Even a couple of decades ago it woul have been very expensive. Besides the grain doesn't look right.

My guess is that the chairs were made in Malaysia or Indonesia, so the timber may be tropical.

Woodwould
9th November 2009, 06:59 AM
Don't think it's Rimu Woodwould. Even a couple of decades ago it woul have been very expensive. Besides the grain doesn't look right.

My guess is that the chairs were made in Malaysia or Indonesia, so the timber may be tropical.
Actually, that makes far more sense.

Claw Hama
9th November 2009, 08:46 AM
Hi Peter, could be almost imposible to work out what it was but depending on what you are going to do, you may be able to find another timber that looks very similar. You may need to sand an area back and then go for a match.

palace
10th November 2009, 07:20 AM
Hi Everyone

Thanks to everyone who has replied. I guess it is a bit tough to work out via pictures. The chairs were given to us and I was curious. Doing some googling it is becoming apparent how difficult it can be to determine a timber. I have found a couple of sites and some pdf's with pictures of timber samples, but even then I think it takes a more trained eye. We have found a wood turner close to us and are going to take a chair to him to see if he can identify. He does furniture restoration as well. If I get an answer I'll post it here.

Thanks again
Cheers
Peter