PDA

View Full Version : why a trip to trend timbers ends with SWMBO getting a new phone

nz_carver
8th November 2009, 12:01 PM
hey all after looking fwd to going to trend timbers on saturday by myself:D
I know sit here thinking it was not the smartest place to go by my self:?

so here we we go with the maths
1 bit of plantation manosany $12
2 bits of jellutong $15 eatch
1 big bit of dry camphor $72
then thae off the 10% it worked out to around $80

now the twist
as im w8ing to go home on the train my phone rings
I pick up and at same time i drop it and the bit of camphor
phone hits the ground camphor hits phone:no:

so being the quick thinking Iam i get home take Swmbo out for lunch
and over lunch I say
I think I might go get use new phones:U
as I didnt spend all the $ I had saved for the sale at trend timber
thinking im in the good books:?

cost of to new phones $198

Ed Reiss
8th November 2009, 12:18 PM
:rotfl::rofl::lmfao::fisch: hope the camphor didn't suffer much :roll:

wheelinround
8th November 2009, 12:24 PM
So you got stuck twice in one day.........no three times

Trend :oo: you paid what for Camphor :doh: looks only a small bit to ................to think we throw that size away at OTGA :U:(

Mobile phone Co

SWMBO

Pat
8th November 2009, 02:43 PM
Dave, I thought you had committed the cardinal sin of dragging your poor unfortunate SWMBO around a timber yard, but no you did worse, you tried to damage the timber with the phone:U

I'll have to make the long, long, (did I mention long), journey up to Trend timbers . . . probably much after the shed as I think the MBGitW is seeing thru my stories of "it's for the shed" and the timber shed is overflowing atm. I even found a dozen turning blanks of Huon & Celery Top pines, Paduk, Purpleheart, Leatherwood, Ironbark etc under a bench, were I had stashed them:;

wheelinround
8th November 2009, 04:17 PM
Dave, I thought you had committed the cardinal sin of dragging your poor unfortunate SWMBO around a timber yard, but no you did worse, you tried to damage the timber with the phone:U

I'll have to make the long, long, (did I mention long), journey up to Trend timbers . . . probably much after the shed as I think the MBGitW is seeing thru my stories of "it's for the shed" and the timber shed is overflowing atm. I even found a dozen turning blanks of Huon & Celery Top pines, Paduk, Purpleheart, Leatherwood, Ironbark etc under a bench, were I had stashed them:;

Halfway house is a good stop off point Pat that way I could accompany you to Trend make sure you don't get lost, don't buy to much and just share the time.:;

Ozkaban
8th November 2009, 04:34 PM
Reminds me of aauote of Kath & Kim:

"I saved so much money by spening so much money, then I reckon I almost made money"...

Nice save with SWMBO :2tsup:

Now to make her a phone holder out of the camphor. 'Note how the phone fits this bit perfectly!'

Cheers,
Dave

rsser
8th November 2009, 04:56 PM
You may have heard of the Protestant Ethic?

That's working your way to salvation by means of labour in this world, and not exclusively through a religious vocation.

Well there's Ern's Protestant Ethic of Consumption:

1. You have to be dedicated to consumption and pursue it single-mindedly
2. You have to pursue bargains, such that you're saving money by spending it
3. Actions like stowing a case of red (or better, vintage port) under the house are virtuous since they're an investment and yield an increase in value

So trashing a phone has to be reframed as getting a new model in a timely manner, one which does more and/or lasts longer and so better repays the investment.

So nz_carver, your unconscious was at work here and acted virtuously.

Well that's my story and I'm sticking to it :p

Pat
8th November 2009, 07:32 PM
Halfway house is a good stop off point Pat that way I could accompany you to Trend make sure you don't get lost, don't buy to much and just share the time.:;

Well, I might have to visit Hairy Forbes one day and with Trend just up the road . . . I'm sure Sue would enjoy quiet a few hours of peace:U Let me work out what I am doing work wise . . .

nz_carver
8th November 2009, 09:16 PM
camphor is
490mm long
44omm wide
75 thick

so what days we going to H&F pat?
im looking for my new bandsaw if you can help point out what im looking for it wd be a big help:roll:

artme
8th November 2009, 11:00 PM
As a good a story as I've heard in a long time, NZ. Got to give top marks for that.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

You may have heard of the Protestant Ethic?

That's working your way to salvation by means of labour in this world, and not exclusively through a religious vocation.

Well there's Ern's Protestant Ethic of Consumption:

1. You have to be dedicated to consumption and pursue it single-mindedly
2. You have to pursue bargains, such that you're saving money by spending it
3. Actions like stowing a case of red (or better, vintage port) under the house are virtuous since they're an investment and yield an increase in value

So trashing a phone has to be reframed as getting a new model in a timely manner, one which does more and/or lasts longer and so better repays the investment.

So nz_carver, your unconscious was at work here and acted virtuously.

Well that's my story and I'm sticking to it :p

Could not have put that argument an y more succinctly Ern. Saving that for SWMBO! :D:D:D

wheelinround
9th November 2009, 07:26 AM
Well, I might have to visit Hairy Forbes one day and with Trend just up the road . . . I'm sure Sue would enjoy quiet a few hours of peace:U Let me work out what I am doing work wise . . .

One day :o this coming Thursday Friday & Saturday is 3 Day Sale weekend OTGA there as usual making sawdust.:2tsup: I/we will be there at least one day.

Trend just up the road :roll: at least you won't need an overnight stay like two North Sydney fellows you can handle the pace and distance.

:fisch: as in real work or shed :construction: work :;

bowl-basher
9th November 2009, 01:47 PM
OTGA ???? sounds like somthing I might like to know about
Bowl basher

wheelinround
9th November 2009, 01:53 PM
Bowl basher

BB their web page Untitled Document (http://www.pnc.com.au/~k_j/OTGA/)

There will be demo's of Rose Engines etc.

Ozkaban
9th November 2009, 01:54 PM
Bowl basher

:shrug:

I'm guessing it's not the Orkney Tourist Guides Association (http://www.otga.co.uk) or the Oregon Tribal Gaming Alliance (http://www.otga.net/).

Other than that, I'm not sure :D

Ozkaban
9th November 2009, 01:56 PM
BB their web page Untitled Document (http://www.pnc.com.au/%7Ek_j/OTGA/)

There will be demo's of Rose Engines etc.

:doh: beat me by seconds...

wheelinround
9th November 2009, 01:58 PM
Well Dave I guess your mind was elsewhere :D to

Sawdust Maker Sydney Today - Woodwork Forums (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=107985)

Ozkaban
9th November 2009, 03:17 PM
Well Dave I guess your mind was elsewhere :D to

Sawdust Maker Sydney Today - Woodwork Forums (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=107985)

Grrr.

Another reason to be #$@!@!# annoyed with current job. I haven't been outside since early this morning and wont leave until nightfall. :~ Go home, eat, sleep and repeat. :no:

Mind you, that babe in the pink cardi would have made it worthwhile :shakehead:

Cheers,
Dave

Sawdust Maker
9th November 2009, 08:59 PM
There are only a couple of things that will keep me away from a hardware store and they were wearing both of them :p

Actually they must of split up as we (work colleagues and I) followed three bikini clad lasses and some prune in a yellow suit down Martin Place at about 10.30 ... Wondered what was going on

Thread is hijacked

and someone dropped nice timber on a phone - probably better than on concrete !

Pat
9th November 2009, 09:18 PM
Ray & Dave don't be to impatient, I think that I might get there sometime Dec or Jan . . . Real work that pays for the shed and bits. I'll wait to I get the dusty off Stirlo and then workout what I need and maybe "manufacture" a need to visit Hairy Forbes on a Friday . . . Just gotta work that out.

hughie
12th November 2009, 08:32 AM
I kinda stay away from places like Trend, I know my weaknesses. :C

Its bad enough once a year at the Woodie show. I go with mate in the ute and we have fair go at filling the tray up. :U