PDA

View Full Version : Silly Question on Chucks?

skot
8th November 2009, 07:37 PM
Hope this doesn't turn out to be in the catergory of "Obvious Stupid!"...

When I purchased my lathe (2nd hand),I got a VM100 chuck with standard jaws and also got a set of Dovetail Jaws & Shark Jaws and have since purchased some Cole Jaws.....now for the stupid question.........................
In a world of endless cash should I have a chuck for each of these jaws to avoid swapping over or do the regular turners on this forum believe you can get by with 1 or 2 chucks.

Pat
8th November 2009, 07:40 PM
Well I have 5 chucks and about 10 sets of jaws . . . but have two set up with the most used jaws (50mm jaws & 25mm pin jaws) and frig around with the other jaws when needed . . . Cole jaws are the next most used.

I am not a pro, just been in the right place at the right time:U

Ozkaban
8th November 2009, 07:41 PM
Hope this doesn't turn out to be in the catergory of "Obvious Stupid!"...

When I purchased my lathe (2nd hand),I got a VM100 chuck with standard jaws and also got a set of Dovetail Jaws & Shark Jaws and have since purchased some Bowl Jaws.....now for the stupid question.........................
In a world of endless cash should I have a chuck for each of these jaws to avoid swapping over or do the regular turners on this forum believe you can get by with 1 or 2 chucks.

The easy answer is yes, and yes.

Comes down to two questions. 1. How much cash do you have? and 2. Do you really mind changing the jaws?

the rest is up to you!

Cheers,
Dave

skot
8th November 2009, 07:44 PM
Thought that may be the case of getting more chucks...may have to save my pennies and purchase some more VM100 chucks...I guess i am impatient when it comes to changing over the jaws.

Pat
8th November 2009, 07:51 PM
Skot, I have found that the "inhex" drivers for sockets or "ball" hex "T" handles are quicker then the normal allan keys . . . Get the size you need and try. Maybe cheaper then buying another chuck (chuckles to himself softly:) )

Skew ChiDAMN!!
8th November 2009, 08:26 PM
Given the number of times I've dropped the jaw screws down the DC hood to be lost forever it would probably be cheaper for me if I'd bought a spare chuck in the first place. :doh:

The first few times of sorting through 44gallons worth of sawdust, (why is the seperator almost always full when this sort of thing happens?) and coming up empty - and wondering if they're still stuck in the duct somewhere - taught me it's quicker to just replace the things instead of searching. :B

rsser
8th November 2009, 09:03 PM
Have heard of guys just getting spare jaw slides and pulling out the stop pin to feed in each jaw/slide combo. Never seen it tho, maybe urban myth.

I've played with an allen driver in a cordless drill to speed up jaw swapping. This was before clutch days and it tended to chop out the screws. With clutch .... ?

Take a look at Gary Pye's chinese-made chucks. Will take VM jaws.

Ozkaban
8th November 2009, 09:53 PM
Given the number of times I've dropped the jaw screws down the DC hood to be lost forever it would probably be cheaper for me if I'd bought a spare chuck in the first place. :doh:

The first few times of sorting through 44gallons worth of sawdust, (why is the seperator almost always full when this sort of thing happens?) and coming up empty - and wondering if they're still stuck in the duct somewhere - taught me it's quicker to just replace the things instead of searching. :B

I think it was SawdustMaker who had the solution of a fold-down bit of mesh used while sanding as any slip would see the new bit of sandpaper disappear! Would work for this too, I reckon.

Cheers,
Dave

jefferson
8th November 2009, 10:23 PM
My advice - from a tool slut - buy another VM100 (or three or four).

One for shark jaws, another for pin jaws, plus the standard ones. After that..... :D:D

I know it costs money. :((

Against all that, the Weird and Wonderful (Ken W,) has maybe one chuck. Same with and Vic Wood..... They all use face plates and scrap wood all the time - and save on chucks.

But Ken has 3 or 4? Stubbies, Vic is worse and has a 10m lathe....

You work it out.

Ideally, you would have 200 chucks and 20 lathes, all fitted with dust extraction. But you won't. Plus 1000 chisels..... But you only need 5 or 6 or 7 or 9.... :D:D

Compromise.

What's your time-line? Are you turning for a living or just enjoying the experience?

Or are you lazy like me and need the extra gear?

Take a short trip over to Andy's (AKA Skew) place. He turns so, so well, in maybe a metre cube. All the gear doesn't matter.

skot
8th November 2009, 10:41 PM
I'm just doing it for the fun...but like most ppl...would love to have all the 'toys' so I'll check out the "Hands On" expo in Bris next weekend and might come away with at least 1 more chuck.

Since my dad passed away 3 years ago, I have had the attitude to enjoy my life and stuff the expense....as long as I can pay all the bills...the rest is for having a good time.

artme
8th November 2009, 10:51 PM
Endless Cash?????:o:o:o

Can I be your "special friend"??:D:D:D:q:q

skot
8th November 2009, 11:08 PM
Sorry artme...endless cash was a wish...IF I had a lot of cash..

Frank&Earnest
8th November 2009, 11:11 PM
Since my dad passed away 3 years ago, I have had the attitude to enjoy my life and stuff the expense....as long as I can pay all the bills...the rest is for having a good time.

I don't know you from a bar of soap, but on this one we are exactly the same. In my case, tempered by 30 years of cost-benefit analyses.

Ever heard of the Poisson curve, that applies to rare events and income?

It applies to chuck ownership too, IMHO and would look something like:

1 *******************
2 ********************************
3 *******************************
4************************
. ***************
. ********

. **

. *
Above 4 chucks methinks it is pure indulgence and could be even counterproductive.

TTIT
8th November 2009, 11:29 PM
.........I've played with an allen driver in a cordless drill to speed up jaw swapping. This was before clutch days and it tended to chop out the screws. With clutch .... ?With clutch - :2tsup: . 9 sets of jaws and 3 chucks means I still have to do a lot of changing and the cordless drill makes it a breeze - Hitachi clutch setting of 13 is about the same as my hand tightening - very quick and easy if the jaws are held together in a bundle. As Skew will tell you, if you hold them together with rubber bands, the bands will perish and let go so I made some bands out of elastic - just glued the ends together with CA :2tsup:

Tornatus
9th November 2009, 12:09 AM
As I get older, I find myself increasingly prepared to pay for convenience, so I have accumulated three VM100s, set up with the jaws I use the most - shark, long-nose and dovetail. It's so handy just being able to quickly swap chucks according to need, especially as I'm like Skew with those machine screws - I live in terror every time I am obliged to change jaws, because those screws seem to have a mind of their own and a fatal attraction to dark crevices. :no:

I was also given a VM90, but those tommy bars annoy the hell out of me, so I fitted it with a set of Cole jaws and it just hangs on the wall and sulks until I need to use it.

When I was lucky enough early this year to acquire a pre-loved VL175 in excellent condition (thanks again, Fredo!), I felt compelled to buy a VM120 to take advantage of the greater capacity. I commend Jim Carroll for selling Vicmarc chucks in what he calls "companion" mode - without standard jaws, at an appropriately lower price. For the VM120 I have obtained shark, dovetail duo and large-capacity "cup" jaws, so I think I'm well covered for the foreseeable future. Mind you, if someone felt compelled to sell off their chuck(s) .... :roll:

hughie
9th November 2009, 12:18 AM
I have long since given away the idea of changing jaws.

[a] cant be bothered
[b] lose too many screws in the curlies
[c] the screw heads don't last that well with constant use
[d] a bit of a time waster

I have 5 SN2 chucks currently and if required will not hesitate to add to this collection.

artme
9th November 2009, 07:28 AM
With clutch - :2tsup: . 9 sets of jaws and 3 chucks means I still have to do a lot of changing and the cordless drill makes it a breeze - Hitachi clutch setting of 13 is about the same as my hand tightening - very quick and easy if the jaws are held together in a bundle. As Skew will tell you, if you hold them together with rubber bands, the bands will perish and let go so I made some bands out of elastic - just glued the ends together with CA :2tsup:

Another one for the memory banks.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

WOODY70
9th November 2009, 08:53 AM
Thought that may be the case of getting more chucks...may have to save my pennies and purchase some more VM100 chucks...I guess i am impatient when it comes to changing over the jaws.
You can always go for the generic range of chucks that are now available on the market.
There is a very good copy of the VM100 chuck available. These take all Vicmarc vm100 jaws and accessories at around $175-00.

At these prices you can afford twice as many than the genuine ones. There is also the larger 120mm version available as well at $210-00 it's a bargin.
:2tsup:

tea lady
9th November 2009, 09:06 AM
With clutch - :2tsup: . 9 sets of jaws and 3 chucks means I still have to do a lot of changing and the cordless drill makes it a breeze - Hitachi clutch setting of 13 is about the same as my hand tightening - very quick and easy if the jaws are held together in a bundle. As Skew will tell you, if you hold them together with rubber bands, the bands will perish and let go so I made some bands out of elastic - just glued the ends together with CA :2tsup:

:think: Maybe this should go in the "turning tips" thread. In the "not so beginner"section? :U

Oh! And my tip? Are those screws magnetic? Maybe you could swish around with a magnet too find them? :shrug: A rare earth magnet would prolly hold 'em pretty strongly! :cool:

TTIT
9th November 2009, 09:10 AM
You can always go for the generic range of chucks that are now available on the market.
There is a very good copy of the VM100 chuck available. These take all Vicmarc vm100 jaws and accessories at around $175-00.

At these prices you can afford twice as many than the genuine ones. There is also the larger 120mm version available as well at $210-00 it's a bargin.
:2tsup:Probably the same copy I bought and you can keep 'em :~. Sharp edges all over the place, spongy feel to the mechanism so you're not game to tighten it properly - one of the hex sockets is about10 degrees out of true - rusted when I breathed near it - should I go on??? You get what you pay for and I'll pay the extra for Aussie quality in future. :2tsup:

Forgot to mention having to get the insert replaced with one that ran true :~

skot
9th November 2009, 09:19 AM
I must admit that I would prefer to keep to the genuine vicmarc chucks, even if they do cost a bit more. I have always been impressed with the quality of their gear.

It looks like I will aim to accumulate about 4 over time but I know that when that time comes, I'll see another one and say to myself....."You know, I could do with just one more."

Why are woodturning & tools so addictive....is there a support group for Toolaholics

So it's off to Hands On this week and see how I go.

TTIT
9th November 2009, 09:22 AM
I...............Why are woodturning & tools so addictive....is there a support group for Toolaholics.This forum is it - we'll help you buy all the tools you want :;:U:U

oldiephred
9th November 2009, 09:36 AM
Being a bit "frugal" I find it is not much work to plan jobs such that jaw cahnges are minimized. Then I can use that chuck $ for something else that will do me more good.
I was able to purchase a box of 100 screws for under $10 so I don't waste time looking or working with damaged heads. However if a chuck comes on sale at the right price, I'll have it.

Ozkaban
9th November 2009, 09:47 AM
Just to second what Skot said, stick to quality. The only chuck I have is a cheapie tommy bar one and I hate it...

I have a small bonus coming up which will almost certainly be deposited in the hands of Jim, with the instructions to send me a VM100, with a bunch of jaws, ASAP to my place...

If you can only afford 1 chuck, get a decent one and suffer the hassle of changing the jaws. Don't buy multiple cheapies (not that it sounds like you would).

I have no doubt I'll want more as time goes on, but for the moment just the one would be awesome. It's all a hobby for me so spending a few minutes changing jaws would all be part of the fun.

Cheers,
Dave

issatree
9th November 2009, 11:01 AM
Hi All,
Well I have 3 Black Nova Scroll Chucks, the tommy bar type. Would not change them for any of those others, & as I put it they are to slow. Meaning, you are always looking for that dash?? "T " bar thing to change the opening of the Jaws, then you have turn, turn, turn, to open then turn, turn, to lock it up.
I would have the job partly finished by then.
With the older Nova, & if you look after them, they just take a "flick" with a finger, & they are open or closed.
One of the ways to make them work OK is to use Graphite Powder. MAGIC.
As to the Tommy bar, you throw them as far as ?][''=.
Find or buy 2 Screwdrivers same size, Stanleys ? cut to length, sq. the ends on the Grinder, no more problems.
I find, if you keep the "Handles " Sq. the Holes do not "Elongate", get any bigger. I also bored 2 extra holes as well, so I have 4 holes in the body, & 3 holes to tighten.
I use 35 & 45 Spigot Jaws, & Pinocchio Jaws, 2 screws in ea.& long at that.They hold from 1/2in. up.
Seeing that I don't turn Bowls, I don't need the 50mm. Jaws, threw them too.
Well that's my bit, & I think 3 is my lot.

Regards,
issatree.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

tea lady
9th November 2009, 11:30 AM
Looks like you forgit to chuck in your chucks Issatree. :D

I like my tommy bar chuck. :shrug:

rsser
9th November 2009, 11:41 AM
Elsewhere here I posted a review of the GPW 110 mm chuck (http://gpwoodturning.sitesuitestores.com/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=1107136782&product_id=1107466502).

Nothing cheap and nasty about it out of the box and since. No burrs; finer gearing than my SN2.

Nalmo had a gear prob with one IIRC and got a replacement gear in short order.

Will take Vicmarc and T/tool jaws.

Bargain at $169.

Ed Reiss
9th November 2009, 12:43 PM
Oh hell, Skot...lifes short, go for a bunch of chucks:;:2tsup::D:D:D

Jim Carroll
9th November 2009, 12:59 PM
As mentioned earlier the Vicmarc Chucks do come as a companion version which means you do not get any jaws,

You do still get the insert , jaw screws and woodscrew. This enables you to dedicate any chuck to sets of jaws you use a lot so not having to change all the time.

We do find it it is better to stick to like chucks and not use the generic ones as there has been known to be slight discrepencies.

TTIT
9th November 2009, 01:15 PM
As mentioned earlier the Vicmarc Chucks do come as a companion version which means you do not get any jaws,.....You bewdy! Wasn't aware they were available like that so now I know what to surprise myself with for xmas :U:U:U

skot
9th November 2009, 01:58 PM
I saw the companion chucks on your website Jim...I'll try to get over to your store when I am in Melbourne in January. You told me in a previous email that you will be open on the 5th January after a break. I am flying out of Melbourne on the 6th so I might have to do a quick trip on the Tuesday to pick up some chucks as long as I don't go over my baggage weight limit.

Calm
9th November 2009, 02:11 PM
.........................so I might have to do a quick trip on the Tuesday to pick up some chucks as long as I don't go over my baggage weight limit.

Jims freight will be cheaper than the airlines - jusy visit Jim buy a heap of stuff and get Jim to send it to your address -- You know you want too:D:D:D

cheers

jefferson
9th November 2009, 02:18 PM
I wouldn't suggest a visit down to Jim's place. Last visit cost me..... too much. :rolleyes: But worth it all the same. :wink:

rsser
9th November 2009, 03:44 PM
Companion chuck saves what, $18 over the full kit? I'll give a buyer $18 for the std jaw set :D

brendan stemp
9th November 2009, 05:57 PM
Point 1/ It takes 5 min. to change a set of jaws. But in a world driven by consumption I suppose this means diddly squat!

Point 2/ It maybe a better idea to buy a VM120 and have a bit more versatility.

skot
9th November 2009, 05:59 PM
I had noticed that rsser but what is to be done with 4 extra sets of standard jaws....do they wear out and could be kept for spares?

rsser
9th November 2009, 06:41 PM
Sell 'em to the folk that buy the GPW chucks! They come with a pretty ordinary spigot jaw.

Brendan's point is a good one re the VM120. Nice bit of kit and opens out to something like 110 mm (but won't take VM100 jaws). Also consider one of the remaining T/tool Titan companion chucks from GPW. That'll take all the SN2 jaws.

No connection etc.

jefferson
9th November 2009, 10:15 PM
Ern and Co,

I know you won't take this the wrong way..... :rolleyes:

If you can afford it, buy Vicmarc chucks, no tommy bars. At least they all tighten the same way.

And buy a stack of them for all the different jaws. APITA otherwise.

Alternatively, do what the Weird and Wonderful does - use cheap face-plates and hot melt glue instead. I'm practicing on a platter at the moment and have already "saved" maybe 10mm of wood.....

But don't think that Vicmarc chucks are fault-free. Calm had to disassembled my Esc. chuck some time back to remove a slither of metal.....

And yes, I do agree that the 120 is a fine addition. And the big 150 too but it's a little on the expensive side.

Calm
10th November 2009, 08:33 AM
I have 2 SN2's and a Titan and about 7 different jaw sets (not counting the standard set with each chuck) - they all take the same jaws so i am probably committed to staying with this brand of chuck.

The way i see it stick with one brand that way jaws are interchangable - as for getting a 120 if the jaws (you already have) dont fit stick with the 100. The $18 you save (buying without jaws) is better in your pocket than someone else's (they all add up) - you would change retailer for $18 so why not save it on the purchase price.

I could do with another chuck as i use 2 sets of jaws the most and then change on a third chuck (the Titan is setup with the big powergrip jaws)

So you have a good brand chuck stick with that brand and just get one at a time as you feel you need them. Yes there are adaptor plates etc but the more bits you have the more chance of losing some and also more "places" to get alignment probs.

Just my 2c worth

Sometimes when i see the SN2 wobble i wish i had started with Vicmark but i dont think i will be changing brands now as the jaws would all need changing as well.

Cheers

artme
10th November 2009, 09:20 AM
I have two chucks: a SN2 and the original Nova with the Tommy bars.

The Little fellow came with the 2nd.hnd. TL1200 I bought and had never been used despite the fact that it was over 10 years old. I like its compactness and the light weight for the Jet Mini. One problem - the bloody thing doe not run on center, probab over a mm. out!!

The Sn2 is a good chuck, but from the start I have had Surface rust problems with it.

By the way - has anyone tried the newer Vicmarc chucks with the quick adjustment feature?? They would be ideal but i fear their price.

hughie
10th November 2009, 10:51 AM
The way i see it stick with one brand that way jaws are interchangable - as for getting a 120 if the jaws (you already have) dont fit stick with the 100. The $18 you save (buying without jaws) is better in your pocket than someone else's (they all add up) - you would change retailer for $18 so why not save it on the purchase price.

Hmm, my first chuck purchases were the older larger diameter SN2 chucks and this kinda set me up to follow on as you mentioned[Dave ]. Heres the good bit, they run true :o amazing :U must be NZ stock.

Have had little of no problems with them so far, other than me knocking them around some by catching a gouge on one of the jaws,the jaw came off second best. :U

The last lot came from Jim and have not used them a lot, my main work horses are the big SN2's. I did notice that the second lot were not finished off as well as the older NZ models.

NeilS
11th November 2009, 04:08 PM
Skot, questions about chucks are rarely silly.

The easy answer is yes, and yes.

Comes down to two questions. 1. How much cash do you have? and 2. Do you really mind changing the jaws?

I agree with Dave, those are the key questions you should consider before you go shopping, and I reckon that you now have lots of good advice from everyone on this thread to help you shop wisely.

The way i see it stick with one brand that way jaws are interchangable

It can be done with different brands and adaptors, but it just makes for extra complications, as you can see from the attached.

If I was starting again now I would settle on one brand. The way it has worked out, I seem to have a little of everything through the evolution of woodturning chucks.... :rolleyes:

BTW, the attached doesn't include a swag of earlier engineering, collet and cup chucks that still get occasional use. So, it's clear which camp I sit in, but then all my chucks have to be financially self supporting.... :U

rsser
11th November 2009, 04:34 PM
Useful table Neil.

btw I've seen VM120 with jaws for around $280. Relying on memory, Jim Carroll and Woodturning Supplies in Qld.

This thread has focussed mainly on chucks but jaws are just as impt. I'm not a fan of Teknatool jaws except the Titan Powergrips. VM jaws are a league ahead, so if you started with that choice you'd be looking at VM chucks, SN2 with Vermec adaptors or the GPW 110 (and 100?) or similar.

NeilS
11th November 2009, 06:30 PM
btw I've seen VM120 with jaws for around $280. Relying on memory, Jim Carroll and Woodturning Supplies in Qld.

Thanks for the update on the VM120 price, Ern. Those prices I had noted for myself dated back to early May, so good to see that some of them are heading south... :U.

skot
11th November 2009, 07:47 PM
Interesting collection Neil...If I'm reading the posts correctly, I should stick to the Vicmarc Chucks and add as I can afford them.

A couple more VM100s (3 I think) as I have Jaws for them, then maybe a VM120 but that means new Jaws for that one.

Sounds like a plan

Sawdust Maker
11th November 2009, 09:20 PM
Useful table Neil.

This thread has focussed mainly on chucks but jaws are just as impt. I'm not a fan of Teknatool jaws except the Titan Powergrips. VM jaws are a league ahead, so if you started with that choice you'd be looking at VM chucks, SN2 with Vermec adaptors or the GPW 110 (and 100?) or similar.

I'm seriously considering a Vermec chuck next. It will take the teknatool jaws I currently have and will also take any Vicmarc jaws I currently have my eyes on

Here (http://vermec.tripod.com/PDFs/vermecchuck.pdf)is a description on their website

BTW I've a couple of the SN2 and would like a couple more :U

TTIT
11th November 2009, 11:07 PM
I'm seriously considering a Vermec chuck next. It will take the teknatool jaws I currently have and will also take any Vicmarc jaws I currently have my eyes on

Here (http://vermec.tripod.com/PDFs/vermecchuck.pdf)is a description on their website

BTW I've a couple of the SN2 and would like a couple more :UYou won't regret it Nick - my favorite bit of kit :2tsup:

hughie
11th November 2009, 11:53 PM
Vern whats the dia. of the Vermec chuck?

jefferson
12th November 2009, 12:30 AM
As the 3rd worst tool sl*t on the forum (with I don't know exactly, but maybe 5 VM100s, a VM120 plus a VM 150), and I ran into a problem today chucking.....

The big VM150, which is seriously over-priced, doesn't have the jaws we need for a 600mm+ platter....

So can I suggest:

- some dedicated chucks for "usual/ common" tasks
- and some special jaws for one-off jobs like today.

I don't know what the big chuck / jaws Calm has for those big jobs, but they sure would have been handy today.

Frank&Earnest
12th November 2009, 12:46 AM
At the moment I have one GPW with 4 jaw sets (one still unused) and one SN2 with standard an powergrip jaws. I would like to buy other 2 chucks and a set of bowl jaws.

As I said already a few times I have been happier with the GPW than the pre-China SN2, but that could be just a coincidence or my not knowing any better. Discarding the lot to buy 4 Vicmarcs with suitable jaws seems a bit wasteful at this time, but I would consider it if convinced that this is a vastly superior option.

One other option would be to buy a GPW companion to use the extra jaws and one Titan to set up with the powergrip, using the SN2 for a new set of bowl jaws (would like up to 14" capacity because that's what the lathe will take). Do such jaws exist for the SN2?

Any advice gratefully considered.

rsser
12th November 2009, 06:28 AM
Yes, T/tool make a set called Bowl Jaws. Nice bit of kit but the faces are rounded over reducing the holding power considerably. If you have a turner mate, turning the faces down a bit improves the jaws out of sight.

Bear in mind that there are std Powergrips and Titan Powergrips. The latter only fit the Titan and provide plenty of grip. That's what Calm went for.

Jeff, you could look at VM Multi-purpose Jaws for the 120 or the Dovetail Duo or any of their new wide dovetail jaws. Check out their website. I use the MP jaws occasionally for a wide grip on the VM100. It's a fiddle swapping jaw faces but the unit covers gaps in my range.

hughie
12th November 2009, 08:25 AM
One other option would be to buy a GPW companion to use the extra jaws and one Titan to set up with the powergrip, using the SN2 for a new set of bowl jaws (would like up to 14" capacity because that's what the lathe will take). Do such jaws exist for the SN2?

I have the SN2 130mm jaws Teknatool reckon they can hold up 29.5" {750mm}.

http://www.teknatool.com/Downloads/jawtable.pdf

I take it from your post you have the older larger diameter SN2 as my self. I find them to be an excellent chuck, dunno why they discontinued them :? They handle the bigger jumbo jaws really well and I have had no problems to date [(3 years)

rsser
12th November 2009, 11:01 AM
Be interesting to line one up against the Titan Hughie. Maybe it got rebadged.

NeilS
12th November 2009, 11:09 AM
Sounds like a plan

Yes, Skot, a sound plan. The Vermecs could also fit into that plan, that way you could add any Teknatool jaws to the mix that meet a particular need which the Vicmarcs don't.

and I ran into a problem today chucking.....

The big VM150, which is seriously over-priced, doesn't have the jaws we need for a 600mm+ platter....

Jeff - as Ern has suggested, the Vicmarc's Duo Jaws for the VM120 chuck (VO1263) should handle a 600mm platter. They are not a power grip jaw, but a 195mm/7.75" dovetail grab should be more than sufficient on a 24" platter.

I have the SN2 130mm jaws Teknatool reckon they can hold up 29.5" {750mm}.

Yes, the SN2 will do it with care, and the SN2 Deluxe does it with comfort.

rsser
12th November 2009, 11:12 AM
And if you opted for the largest of the new VC dovetail jaws for the VM120 you get around 25cm of max clamping diameter.

Sigh. Think I'd better unsubscribe from this thread.

NeilS
12th November 2009, 11:44 AM

My SN2 Deluxe looks like a Titan, but without the extra screw hole in the slides. There could be internal differences to handle the larger loads with the Titan Power Grip jaws, but without pulling the two apart it's anyone's guess about that.

Because all the other Teknatool chucks and jaws have two screw holes, I speculate that the re-badged SN2 Deluxe was released with three screw holes to avoid the Titan Power Grip jaws being fitted to their smaller chucks.

I'm not convinced that the extra screw is required to handle the extra load, but then the extra screw is not a disadvantage as the chuck only takes one jaw set so no probs with extra screws during jaw changes.

NeilS
12th November 2009, 11:49 AM
And if you opted for the largest of the new VC dovetail jaws for the VM120 you get around 25cm of max clamping diameter.

Sigh. Think I'd better unsubscribe from this thread.

Oh Heck, me too!

I'm not going to even go and look at their website, well not just now...:doh:

TTIT
12th November 2009, 12:16 PM
Vern whats the dia. of the Vermec chuck?I think I measured it at 115mm once . . . . . . . . I think :shrug: . . . . . . I'll check tonight . . . . . . . . . . . . if I can remember too :blush7:

Manuka Jock
12th November 2009, 01:26 PM
My big chuck takes the 3 screw hole slides , a la Titan , and is badged Super Nova Deluxe .
It was the last one Teknatool had in Auckland .

hughie
12th November 2009, 02:04 PM

Yes I suspect it has been rebadged, now we have neither :C

Yes, the SN2 will do it with care, and the SN2 Deluxe does it with comfort.

Yep my three are deluxe models

rsser
12th November 2009, 02:52 PM
Well the Titan is still listed on the T/tool website (not that the site is all that up to date) and Garry Pye has stock.

BTW, T/tool used to have on their site a useful table of Chucks x Jaws and the respective jaw travel distances. Can't find it there now but if anyone's interested I can scan and post my print copy.

NeilS
12th November 2009, 03:01 PM
My big chuck takes the 3 screw hole slides , a la Titan , and is badged Super Nova Deluxe .
It was the last one Teknatool had in Auckland .

Looks like you got the original prototype there, Jock. It could become quite collectors piece that one. Hope it isn't going through an identity crisis... :U

NeilS
12th November 2009, 03:09 PM
BTW, T/tool used to have on their site a useful table of Chucks x Jaws and the respective jaw travel distances. Can't find it there now but if anyone's interested I can scan and post my print copy.

Ern, I also have an electronic version for the 100mm, 130mm and Power Grip Jaws, but not any of the others. I will have a go at copy and paste and see what happens:

Nova 100mm Jaws

<TABLE style="mso-cellspacing: 1.5pt" cellPadding=0 border=1><TBODY><TR style=" 12.75pt"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; 148pt; PADDING- 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3; 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width=197 colSpan=2>Jaw Set & Chuck Suitability

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; 92pt; PADDING- 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3; 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width=123 colSpan=2 rowSpan=2>Expanding Action Specifications

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; PADDING- 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; 184pt; PADDING- 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width=245 colSpan=4>Contracting Action Specifications

</TD></TR><TR style=" 12.75pt"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; PADDING- 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" rowSpan=2>Jaw Set

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; PADDING- 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" rowSpan=2>Suitable Chuck

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; PADDING- 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" colSpan=2>Square Stock

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; PADDING- 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" colSpan=2>Spigot Mode

</TD></TR><TR style=" 12.75pt"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">Min

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">Max

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; 46pt; PADDING- 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width=61>Min

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; 46pt; PADDING- 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width=61>Max

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">Min

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">Max

</TD></TR><TR style=" 12.75pt"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; 72pt; PADDING- 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width=96 rowSpan=4>100mm JAW

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">Precision Midi*

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; PADDING- 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" colSpan=2>Not Recommended

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; PADDING- 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" colSpan=2>Not Recommended

</TD></TR><TR style=" 12.75pt"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">Nova G3

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">97

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">118

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">56

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">77

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">78

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">99

</TD></TR><TR style=" 12.75pt"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">SuperNova2

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">97

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">118

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">56

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">77

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">78

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">99

</TD></TR><TR style=" 12.75pt"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">Titan

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">128

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">87

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">109

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<O:p</O:p

Nova 130 mm Jaws
<TABLE style="mso-cellspacing: 1.5pt" cellPadding=0 border=1><TBODY><TR style=" 12.75pt"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; 148pt; PADDING- 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3; 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width=197 colSpan=2>Jaw Set & Chuck Suitability

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; 92pt; PADDING- 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3; 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width=123 colSpan=2 rowSpan=2>Expanding Action Specifications

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; PADDING- 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; 184pt; PADDING- 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width=245 colSpan=4>Contracting Action Specifications

</TD></TR><TR style=" 12.75pt"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; PADDING- 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" rowSpan=2>Jaw Set

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; PADDING- 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" rowSpan=2>Suitable Chuck

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; PADDING- 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" colSpan=2>Square Stock

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; PADDING- 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" colSpan=2>Spigot Mode

</TD></TR><TR style=" 12.75pt"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">Min

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; 46pt; PADDING- 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width=61>Min

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; 46pt; PADDING- 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width=61>Max

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">Min

</TD></TR><TR style=" 12.75pt"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; 72pt; PADDING- 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width=96 rowSpan=4>130mm JAW

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">Precision Midi*

</TD></TR><TR style=" 12.75pt"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">Nova G3

</TD></TR><TR style=" 12.75pt"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">SuperNova2

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">127

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">147

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">107

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">128

</TD></TR><TR style=" 12.75pt"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">Titan

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">127

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">157

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">107

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">138

Nova Power Grip Jaws (100mm jaws)

</TD></TR><TR style=" 12.75pt"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; 72pt; PADDING- 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width=96 rowSpan=4>POWERGRIP JAW

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">95

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">116

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">55

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">76

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">98

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">95

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">126

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">55

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">86

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER- #e0dfe3; PADDING- 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3 0.75pt inset; 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">108

Seems to work. Is that what you were referring to Ern?

rsser
12th November 2009, 03:51 PM
Thanks Neil.

That covers some of the table I have.

Found it. Here's the link. Clicky (https://www.teknatool.com/products/Chuck_Accessories/Jaw_Sets/downloads/Min-Max%20Ranges%20Jaw%20Table%20(mm)Sep06.pdf)

Manuka Jock
12th November 2009, 04:44 PM
Hope it isn't going through an identity crisis... :U

Not so far :rolleyes:

skot
14th November 2009, 06:41 PM
Bit the bullet (gently) today.

Went along to the Hands On Expo in Bris today and purchased the last 2companion VM100 that Jim Carroll had. The chucks without jaws and with the show discount come to $195.30 each.

I'm happy to stick to the VM range. Did have a look at Vermec & Gary Pye but still liked the idea of keeping with the one brand.

The Vicmarc chuck was only 30 cents dearer than Vermec with their show special...and I know Vermec take other brands of jaws...but I am just a "brand" loyal tool addict.

NeilS
15th November 2009, 04:08 PM
Bit the bullet (gently) today.

Went along to the Hands On Expo in Bris today and purchased the last 2companion VM100 that Jim Carroll had. The chucks without jaws and with the show discount come to $195.30 each.

I'm happy to stick to the VM range. Did have a look at Vermec & Gary Pye but still liked the idea of keeping with the one brand.

The Vicmarc chuck was only 30 cents dearer than Vermec with their show special...and I know Vermec take other brands of jaws...but I am just a "brand" loyal tool addict.

Reckon you will be happy with your decision, Skot.