PDA

View Full Version : WOODWORKING QUIZ for 13 Aug 04

Ralph Jones
13th August 2004, 09:40 PM
Good Evening Friends,
What is the general rule of thumb for figuring the amount of studs for a wall?

Respectfully, :)

Bob Willson
13th August 2004, 10:40 PM
It is a bit of a waste to use figured studs because they are all going to be covered up anyway.

Turbulance
14th August 2004, 10:50 AM
Thumbs are an imperial measurement. I am too young to use such an old fashioned unit. I use the more accurate metric Digit scale; that being the case, does anyone now how to convert from Thumbs to Digits? (I have heard that one way to convert is to use a Table-saw without a Push-stick. If you plan to do this I suggest that you keep your teeth clenched, and close your eyes if the sight of blood makes you squeamish. Also you can only to the conversion twice!) :p

glenn k
14th August 2004, 04:40 PM
We generally put them at 450mm centers because that fits the insulation etc. So measure wall divide by .45 round up and add one.

duckman
14th August 2004, 04:47 PM
We generally put them at 450mm centers because that fits the insulation etc. So measure wall divide by .45 round up and add one.
Are you hoping that the extra studs needed at wall junctions will come from those that aren't required in openings such as windows and doors? :)

I've never seen a formula yet that comes any closer to the correct count than just looking at a plan and then using one's experience to estimate the number required.

Hooroo..

Mark.

Barry_White
14th August 2004, 04:57 PM
Divide by .45 or .6 depending on what spacing your are doing add 1 + 1 for each adjoining wall + 1 for each window or door that is in each wall.

Thats my 2cents worth and it works for me. The other way is to give it to the framing company and let them work it out.

By the way they make insulation to fit either 450mm or 600mm stud spacings.

Ralph Jones
14th August 2004, 09:41 PM
Good Evening Friends,
A good rule of thumb for figuring studs in a wall are as Bazza stated.
One for each foot of run then, two for the corners of the load bearing walls and then one for each side of a window, door opening and the intersections of adjoining walls. Bare in mind that this is not totally an accurate count but enough to get you in the ball park because, as you know the lumber lard is going to send you some timbers that there is no way you could use them in a wall.

Thank you for your support

Respectfully, :)