PDA

View Full Version : resin question

texx
10th November 2009, 08:36 AM
just like to know if new poured resin sticks or bonds to old cured resin , or would it delaminate .

NewLondon88
10th November 2009, 12:08 PM
It will bond just fine.. especially well if you pour while the first one is still tacky.
But it will bond either way

Big Shed
10th November 2009, 12:38 PM
Depends somewhat on what resin you are using.

I assume you are referring to polyester resin?

If so, the 2 polyester resins I use are Barnes Qulaity Casting Resin and Clear Casting Resin.

The Clear Casting Resin is no problem, do the second cast (ribbon casting?) as soon as you can to give maximum bond between the old and new. If ribbon casting, the earlier you do it also aids in shaping the ribbons, so do it as soon as you can cut and handle the ribbons.

The Quality Casting Resin contains a wax additive, you see this in the can, and it isn't nearly as suitable for this purpose. I have done ribbon casts with QC resin that worked perfectly OK, but others delaminated on the glossy side of the ribbon (where it was pured on the glass/mirror), came apat very cleanly:oo:

If you are referring to some resin, sorry can't help you.

Resination
10th November 2009, 12:50 PM
It will bond just fine if it's just resin.

However, as stated, if it has surfacing wax in it or it is added, it will not bond.:2tsup:

texx
10th November 2009, 06:43 PM
ok thanks guys .
the reason i ask is because after turning an acrylic blank there is a great pile of curly shavings on the lathe bed and i thought why cant these be cast back into another pen blank.
seems to me that when making a pen 90 percent of the blank ends up on the floor under the lathe and the drill stand and we are supposed to be recycling stuff when we can for the planet .

Big Shed
10th November 2009, 06:47 PM
Yep, works like a charm, have done several blanks with the shavings but haven't made a pen with them yet.

Have several large plastic boxes with different colour shavings waiting to be used.

The ones from the metal lathe are particularly nice:2tsup:

Dorno
10th November 2009, 06:53 PM
Very Very Strange. I was only asking a friend on mine the same question myself so I am interested to hear what others have to say.

Cheers Ian

Resination
11th November 2009, 07:48 AM
When re-casting shavings, the color is quite washed out. It isn't as brilliant as the original blank. At least with the PR shavings...

PenTurner
11th November 2009, 08:05 AM
PS I have also saved shavings/sawdust from some of the more showy woods like Osage Orange , Ebony etc. to use as fillings or experiment with casting in the future. Amos:)

NewLondon88
12th November 2009, 01:55 AM
I should have mentioned just plain PR, too.. .but I assumed (since we're
talking about casting blanks) that this was the case. Sorry.. :-

BoomerangInfo
13th November 2009, 06:39 PM
When re-casting shavings, the color is quite washed out. It isn't as brilliant as the original blank. At least with the PR shavings...

Yeah I tried one once and the result was pretty ordinary. Still, may be some ways of producing a good result.

Russell.

dontheturner
19th November 2009, 10:03 PM
Hello London88, I am now on the IAP, so feel we know each other. I am based in Thailand, and need to know , the best source of supplies, in your humble opinion, to get casting polyester for myself, please, dontheturner.

NewLondon88
19th November 2009, 11:18 PM
Hello Don!

I don't have any information on suppliers in Thailand, but if you can search for either
manufacturers or distributors online, they should be able to direct you.

I've found that if you can talk to someone at the manufacturer ("accidentally" talk to
a chemist? :p ) they might be able to direct you to local trade organizations or suggest
the types of businesses that use their products. that can often lead you to someone who
might take a few extra moments to help you get to where you want to be. It might help
if you have a name as a referral.

If you can find someone who makes kitchen or bathroom counter tops, they might allow
you to buy a small quantity from them. They probably buy it in 55 gallon drums, and
might go through two or three of those before lunch.

We're just not in the same league and don't spend enough for them to take the time to
talk to us. So .. like anything else, it's 'who you know' that can help you. And if you
find someone local, bring a pen .. spend some time with them if you can. Listen watch
and learn .. you might pick up lots of helpful information just by seeing what goes on
in their operation. And once you know each other, they're more likely to understand
your questions and needs.

If you can get a hold of some Tech Sheets from different manufacturers (many are
available online) then the people you talk to will be more likely to understand what it is
that you're looking for.. and perhaps they can find a suitable replacement locally.

I wish I had an answer that included a local phone number and product name .. but
I don't know anything about the market where you are..

dontheturner
20th November 2009, 02:21 PM
Hello london88, You woke me up to the fact - you mentioned in your para 3 - There are NO kitchens manufactured here, in Corian - simply because kitchens are very very 1940's. - leastways they are as far as us Westerners are concerned. it is a bit like glue. Sure you can get the ''pear-drops smelly'' type glue, and also the white normal latex. but i am buying various glues, like Titebond for my normal wood jobs, and for pens, the two part epoxy, from the UK. They are not allowed to even airmail items classed as chemicles, so I have to get a mate to ship them to me. So maybe I shall have to find someone, selling BLO as well. then order. I never conected, until you said it.''Kitchen tops'' then I realised! dontheturner..

Big Shed
20th November 2009, 02:59 PM
Let Google do the walking, there is at least one manufacturer of polyester resin in Thailand

Thai Polyset. High Quality Polyester Resin (http://www.thaipolyset.com/en/main/product)

so a more thorough search migh find others .

The above may be able to point you in the right direction?

dontheturner
20th November 2009, 04:03 PM
Hello Bigshed, Thanks for Googling, but although they are located near Bangkok, they are not over helpful - mai-pen-rai ( never mind). It would be fine, if I knew more about the subject, as to what I am exactly seeking. But their products look remarkably like varnishes, and perhaps, car body finishes to me, I do not know enough, about what exactly, you guys on here, mix together, to get those fabulous end results.. For instance, do I need a coloured resin, then add some form of fillers, perhaps then, not stir it too much, before pouring into a mould? Help! Anyone want a free holiday, in the sun? Again, Thank You, Bigshed Perhaps I need to compose a shopping list, first! dontheturner