PDA

View Full Version : Wood Lathe 18 x 47

Big Shed
10th November 2009, 07:08 PM
Am considering buying a new wood lathe and would like EVS and long travel on the tail stock quill for drilling blanks without having to re-position the tailstock halfway through the drilling process.

Some time ago I looked at the Hafco WL-46 (https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Products?stockCode=W387) and was quite impressed with the quality and build for the price.

The same machine appears to be available from Woodworkers' Warehouse (http://www.woodworkingwarehouse.com.au/webshop/EWWItem.csp?ID=ECM%7C%7C118479%7C%7C35), but at about $1100 more:2tsup:.

It is sold in the US under the Laguna (http://www.lagunatools.com/lathes/lathe-1847) brand, and in Canada by BusyBee (http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/picture10?NTITEM=CT128).

One of the guys on the Canadian Penturners Paradise forum has purchased one and speaks highly of it.

The bed is machined very nicely, the head stock slides to anywhere on the bed, right to the end for bowl turning (no more swivelling head lining up problems)

Motor is 2hp DC brushless with speeds from 0-3200, Low and High range selected via belt change.

Does anyone have one these lathes, if so opinions please.

In fact opinions invited regardless of whether you have one of these lathes.

bowl-basher
10th November 2009, 08:10 PM
I suggest you have a word to the boys at trend I purchased one of their new cougar range for $2.000.00 and I am one happy camper
regards
Bowl-basher

Big Shed
10th November 2009, 10:26 PM
Thanks BB, could you tell me the travel on the tail stock quill?

Could be a bit exxy getting one down to Bendigo though, haven't seen those here in Vic.

Edit:

Thought I had seen that one somewhere, is this the one (http://www.woodworkingwarehouse.com.au/webshop/EWWItem.csp?ID=ECM%7C%7C118479%7C%7C38)?

bowl-basher
11th November 2009, 07:44 AM
That is the one.... price is a bit over the top I think trend could deliver under that
I am very happy with it the 2 range variable is just heven also am pleased with the finish and fit of the machine
bowl-basher

artme
11th November 2009, 08:19 AM
Fred, it seems that there are several lathes in this class that vary only alittle in specifications and general design features.

One such- very similar to the WW Warehouse model- is sold by David Drescher
in Brisbane. I know several people who have purchased them and they are more that happy.

If Price is a big consideration I would really consider the Hafco. I had looked at this before leaving Aus. I think it is a damned good machine. I have three pices of Hafco gear and a cousin has bought plenty through them. No complaints about anything.

wheelinround
11th November 2009, 01:38 PM
http://www.woodworkforums.com/f22/unveiling-new-ot-lathe-105200/#post1038256

OTGA president has the H&F one Fred not used or set up for normal turning as you can see. He has his Nova for that. As said a good solid lathe, the lack of a swivel head was the comment made by all who were at the unveiling. An outrigger tool est etc would have to be made up to suit.

artme
12th November 2009, 04:47 AM
Have a good look at all the small photos on the H&F site. I am sure the headstock slides to the other end.

I didn't really look into that when I had a look at one.

Big Shed
12th November 2009, 07:47 AM
http://www.woodworkforums.com/f22/unveiling-new-ot-lathe-105200/#post1038256

OTGA president has the H&F one Fred not used or set up for normal turning as you can see. He has his Nova for that. As said a good solid lathe, the lack of a swivel head was the comment made by all who were at the unveiling. An outrigger tool est etc would have to be made up to suit.

Thanks Ray, actually the lack of a swivel head is one of the things that attracted me to the WL46. No more re-aligning the headstock!

See below.

Have a good look at all the small photos on the H&F site. I am sure the headstock slides to the other end.

I didn't really look into that when I had a look at one.

Yep, it certainly does, and they do sell a bowl turning attachment (https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Products?stockCode=W387A) for bowls larger than the already generous 18" it handles "out of the box".

There are a couple of videos on the Laguna version on the internet.

I visited H&F yesterday and had a better look at the lathe. It is certainly an impressively big machine, very solidly built. As said, the head stock slides along a nicely machined bed, headstock tailstock line up very well. The 110mm tailstock travel is a bonus, but an even bigger bonus is that the tailstock quill doesn't disengage from the thread when it reaches full extension!
Locking handle on the headstock and tailstock are quite big and solid and do not get fouled up with the bed as on the MC900.

It is a very quiet lathe, the motor and headstock spindle appear well balanced, the spindle also has 36 position indexing.. The motor is of the same type as on my metal lathe, but considering it is 2hp it is even quieter.

That EVS speed readout is very easy to read, changing from High to Low range is extremely easy, only criticism I would have there is that on the WL46 version you have to undo a socket head with an Allen wrench! On the Laguna and BusyBee version it has a knob, no biggy, easy to make that myself. The belt itself is one of those flat multi ridged types, same as on my tablesaw.

As I am only a short ****, the legs seem a tad high for me, bit like the Vicmarc, but I would probably make my own base anyway.

The toolrest is certainly a very solid affair, 355mm or 14" long, patterned on the MC900 style, which I like. It takes the same size toolrest post as my MC900, so I can kepe the short toolrests I already have.

H&F offered an additional 10% discount during their 3 day sale starting today, so it appears I need to make a decision in that time so save a bit more. No stock till 26/11, so would have to be ordered.

Tried to see the same lathe (Woodman version) at Woodworkers Warehouse, they had none on display, no stock and no ETA on new stock. At their listed price of over $2700 it is nearly twice as expensive as the H&F version ($1500) anyway. They also didn't have the Cougar type that Trend sells, in fact a distinct lack of interest was displayed by the sales person, so didn't spend very long there.

artme
13th November 2009, 06:13 AM
Certainly looks the goods Fred!

wheelinround
14th November 2009, 05:09 PM
Fred H&F's 18x47 walked out the door just after opening Thursday morning only one they had purchased as parting gift for a teacher from Hawkesbury school.
Must have been some teacher:;

So anyone going to have a look at it this last 3 days :(:q

Big Shed
14th November 2009, 05:12 PM
Fred H&F's 18x47 walked out the door just after opening Thursday morning only one they had purchased as parting gift for a teacher from Hawkesbury school.
Must have been some teacher:;

So anyone going to have a look at it this last 3 days :(:q

Man, they must have been keen to get rid of him!!:D

WOODY70
16th November 2009, 08:45 AM
Hello Fred,

I have plenty of the WL1847 lathes in stock.
I actually helped design parts of this lathe and I gave the lathe it's model number. Which is now used around the world (woohoo):2tsup:

So if you would like one at a good price give me a pm.

Cheers
David
S/E Qld Woodworking Supplies

Big Shed
16th November 2009, 11:13 AM
Hello Fred,

I have plenty of the WL1847 lathes in stock.
I actually helped design parts of this lathe and I gave the lathe it's model number. Which is now used around the world (woohoo):2tsup:

So if you would like one at a good price give me a pm.

Cheers
David
S/E Qld Woodworking Supplies

PM sent

Sawdust Maker
17th November 2009, 07:40 PM
and ...

artme
17th November 2009, 08:54 PM
Thought so David!!

Long time between drinks for you here!

Been praising this machine for a while and pointing people in your direction.

How come you don't have a website!!????:?:?:?

WOODY70
18th November 2009, 08:32 AM
Thought so David!!

Long time between drinks for you here!

Been praising this machine for a while and pointing people in your direction.

How come you don't have a website!!????:?:?:?

Yes mate it's me:U
Thanks for your help. They're going well!:2tsup:
I don't get much spare time to get on here. I am off doing another series of shows and will be off line for 3 weeks.
I may put up a web site one day!!
I find myself too busy to worry about a site with running the shop, Turnfest and 50 plus shows a year.
I like to do things the old fashion way and take it to the people.

I hope you are enjoying your stay in Brazil.

Cheers
David

Big Shed
18th November 2009, 09:09 AM
and ...

...........since you asked, the "good price" consisted of "tell me what price I have to beat"!

texx
22nd November 2009, 10:34 AM
is it just me or are we all waiting for the "good price" on the 18/47 .
we already know what hare and forbes can do it for ( 1,500 + )
and 10% less when they are in the right mood

Treecycle
22nd November 2009, 10:47 PM
I recently purchased one of these lathes and was initially very pleased with it as it had all the features I was looking for, after fiddling around with a homemade version for a number of years. Runs very smoothly, variable speed works well, good power, and very heavy.
After using it intermitantly for about a month, I have discovered some of its shortfalls.
The bed is not machined flat
The 3 movable castings ie. headstock, banjo, and tailstock are not machined flat on the base and therefore only sit on 3 points. I have spent today draw filing the tailstock and banjo to get them flat. The headstock is a different matter due to its size and weight. Temporarily I have shimmed the low corner until I work out which way I will go about levelling it.
The live centre has some movement in it mainly due to the fact that it only has a single bearing and probably a reasonable amount of clearance because they are a cheap brand.
Unfortunately these are often things you discover once you have made the purchase and cannot return the item due to various reasons.
I guess you get what you pay for.