PDA

View Full Version : Purelite facemask and others....

RichardB
14th August 2004, 04:04 AM
I'd like to hear opinions on available self-powered face masks/filters. In particular, your experience with the Purelite facemask. I'm writing from Canada. Thanks.

hexbaz
14th August 2004, 04:30 AM
Not sure about Purelite, but here is a thread about the Triton powered mask:
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=5659

rsser
14th August 2004, 02:18 PM
I use the Trend filtered visor and find it works fine without being cumbersome. Cost and arm and a leg though, but my partner god bless her stumped up an arm.

There is of course a scientific test known as the nasal sump trial: involves blowing your nose after varying your methods of protection and carefully examining the contents ;-}

Chesand
14th August 2004, 02:37 PM
I have a Purelite and am happy with it. I certainly notice the difference (by nose test above) if I do not bother to use it or the battery is flat and I have forgotten to check it before starting a job. I certainly always use it when doing a large amount of sanding.
The important thing seems to be to adjust it correctly to your head shape. It is certainly not uncomfortable and can wear it for lengthy periods.
My daughter has also used it and was very happy - she has allergy to dust etc. and found it helped her.

Don Nethercott
15th August 2004, 09:23 PM
I have a Trend which I think is the same as the Purelite. It certainly does the job. However it is pricey.
If I were buying a powered helmet now I would be looking at the Triton. The Triton is nearly half the price (in Australia anyway). Also I think the air intake for the Triton is in the middle of your back whick means it would suck up lessdust than the Trend, which sucks in at the front of your head, which is usually right over the work you are sanding.
I find my filters get dirty very quickly, and they are not replaceable so new ones have to be purchased regularly and they are not cheap. However it does pay to shop around for filters if and when you get to that stage. I eventually got mine for less than half the normal price for original factory filters.

Regards
Don

rsser
16th August 2004, 01:54 PM
Don,
Care to share your secret about a source of cheap filters?
Cheers

Don Nethercott
16th August 2004, 08:19 PM
I got my filters from Mik International - http://www.mik.com.au/
Prefilters - 3 for $24
Filters - 3 for 114$
That was the cheapest I could find at the time - but check prices when you go to order as they seem to be coming down - the main filters were $90 when I first bought my Trend.
Regards
Don

Jeff
27th August 2004, 06:13 AM
I use the 3M Airmate. Originally made be Racal. Cost me $150 US about five years ago. Excellant product. Full face mask, fan and filter in the top. Get the overlays for the faceshield, they're well worth it. I've been pretty rough on mine, it has a couple of cracks where it saved me. I like that it washes freshly filtered air over my face and keeps the faceshield from fogging. Get two batteries if you can afford it. Mine lasts most of the day on one battery. I have found that putting the battery on the charger for a few minutes to keep it topped up throughout the day makes a world of difference. I don't want to hear that old 'battery memory" crap either, cause I'm still using the original battery after five years. I've left it on the charger for days at a time, and I've run it dead, it still keeps working just fine. This unit will not protect you from dangerous toxic particles that are in some woods, and you must provide a method of dealing with those items as well. I have a pretty drafty work area, so I can send the stuff outside. But if you have other people frequenting your work area you will need to contain the uglies so as not to hurt your guests.

adrian
2nd September 2004, 10:20 AM
I bought the Triton respirator the other day and it was back to the shop within an hour.
The left earmuff wouldn't lock in place and the webbing in the helmet was slightly off centre, making the helmet sit askew. The mechanism that locks the earmuffs seems to me to be the weak point of the whole thing. It gives the immediate impression that it will fail long before anything else does. Also, I know it's difficult to get plastic visors anywhere near optical quality but the one on the Triton had a little too much distortion for my liking and for $272 I would expect a little better.
The socket for the recharger was on the bottom of the power unit so the unit had to be laid on its side when charging and the plug would not lock in place. The plug fell out twice while I was trying to charge the unit. The only way I could get it to stay there was to place it next to a phone book to hold it in.
I was very disappointed because I've got a couple of Triton products and they are very good quality.

westpest
3rd September 2004, 01:51 AM
Hi Richard

I recently purchased a Trend Airshield and yes it was expensive($AUD495) and would cost approximately $455 Canadian. Once you get over the shock of the price you will find it very efficient to use. No fogging at all, reasonably quiet and the battery lasts forever. Well at least the four hours that they quote. I bought a second battery for a total of eight hours use and that's a long time at the lathe. It's so good that I use it wherever I can now, even when burning off on the property.FWIW PS I think the Triton still uses Ni-Cad batteries and I was told that these develop a memory and are not as efficient as in some other makes..

Dan

Sprog
3rd September 2004, 01:08 PM
FWIW PS I think the Triton still uses Ni-Cad batteries and I was told that these develop a memory and are not as efficient as in some other makes..

Dan

I purchased my Triton respirator just about 12 months ago, the batteries are still going strong with no memory effect and they last around about 8 hours before needing re-charging. It cost $235, that is $260 still in my pocket. :D

adrian
4th September 2004, 10:07 AM
I went to Bunnings again yesterday and the same respirator was back on the shelf.

as_is
5th September 2004, 10:30 PM
I'd like to hear opinions on available self-powered face masks/filters. In particular, your experience with the Purelite facemask. I'm writing from Canada. Thanks.
I have been using a Triton for several months and am very happy with it. It is certainly an affordable respirator. The batteries are NiCd and certainly last for maybe 7~8 hours. Memory develops when the batteries are repeatedly recharged when they are half charged. Actuallay this is the ideal use of these batteries because when they are discharged, that is when you will notice it (facemask fogging) and you will recharge them rather than charging them "just in case they need it". I use compresed air to clean the pre filter and the two main filters and especially inside the battery holder as this is where some dust settles. My main objection is the short length of hose and I have developed a technique to fit it. The earmuffs tend to conduct motor noise to the skull so I do not use them anyway.
as_is