PDA

View Full Version : Christmas challenge - Candle Holder

Calm
11th November 2009, 06:51 PM
It's the festive season again and everyone needs a candle holder (or give it another name if you like)

So a new challenge - between now and the 15th December 2009 make a candle holder that will hold a candle this size. 10 or 12 inch and about 23 and 20mm diameter

Rules

- Supply any wood/steel/alliminium/brass/copper whatever you like
- must suit this size candle
- must be made since this thread started
- can be composite woods/materials
- can-be carved, turned nailed, bolted, screwed, hammered, knurled whatever you like.

i think we should have three categories (you decide which yours fits in - honesty system) (A) simple or basic - (B) intermediate - (C) extravagant I think if you go in the obviously wrong category the voters will vote accordingly.

A bit of work to go on with planning but i think you take the photos, the size will be known by a 10 or 12 inch candle in position, Probably limit of 4 photos (what do you think) Either i or (hopefully) a mod will volunteer to set up a judging thread A,B,C and the members vote for 5 days from 15th to 20th December.

Now i think as a nice touch and in line with the christmas spirit they should be given to someone - maybe an aged care facility (yep an old follks home) for them to put their christmas candle in. Or a hospital - i'm sure you can find someone to take it.

Prizes

First - Bragging rights + 3 extra drinks at Christmas (supplied and paid for by the contestant)
Second - 2 extra drinks at Christmas (also supplied and paid for by the contestant)
Third - 1 extra drink (yep you guessed it - Buy your own)

OK so what have i forgotten and any takers.

Cheers

Calm
11th November 2009, 06:55 PM
Feel free to post a link thread in any other forum section you think relevant.

Working for the next 2 days so be back Friday night to see suggestions/comments

MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL

mick61
11th November 2009, 10:32 PM
Why not.
Mick:D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
11th November 2009, 10:43 PM
Spade bit, lump of wood, instant rustic. :p

tea lady
11th November 2009, 11:10 PM
:2tsup: Good idea. I've been working on a design for a candle holder. Will give me a reason to do some.:cool:

thefixer
11th November 2009, 11:12 PM
Yeah, why not, I'll be in it. Candle holder hey? Sounds simple enough but could also be complex. I guess its up to the imagination of the creator.

thefixer
11th November 2009, 11:19 PM
First stupid question. Is the candle holder limited to accommodating only one candle or several candles?

TTIT
11th November 2009, 11:51 PM
I'm in :2tsup: - if I can squeeze it in between all the other projects :B

artme
12th November 2009, 04:29 AM
Good idea David. :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Hope it goes well

Employee of the firm Ruphph and Reddy.

Ed Reiss
12th November 2009, 01:02 PM
David, you do realize that all these challenges force one to be creative :doh::o

Allan at Wallan
12th November 2009, 08:45 PM
Hope Ken Wraight does not put an entry in ...
most of us can't "hold a candle" to him.:D

Allan

Ozkaban
13th November 2009, 09:09 AM

:doh: idea already taken :D

Count me in. Sounds like a bit of fun.

ElizaLeahy
14th November 2009, 11:18 AM
Wood love too - but....

:(

grasshoppers....

Ed Reiss
14th November 2009, 12:53 PM
Wood love too - but....

:(

grasshoppers....

did they eat the lathe???? :o

ElizaLeahy
14th November 2009, 01:31 PM
No, but they eat ME!

No turning for me until autumn.

tea lady
14th November 2009, 02:44 PM
No, but they eat ME!

No turning for me until autumn.I thought they ate grass? :think: :D

Where have you been Eliza? Everything OK?:)

Calm
15th November 2009, 12:17 AM
Back from the dreaded work - i'm so over it - anyway the answer to all those questions is YES - i think:roll: - it can look like TL "finial box" if you like - Eliza as materials are free grab the grasshoipper and put the candle where the light dont shine for it - should be interesting even if you cant give it away.:oo::oo:

WIP yep we need WIP to give some of the slower ones ideas (that's me) Skew yours belongs in the (A) basic section:p:p:p

Here are a couple of photos for ideas - blatantly pinched from previous forum threads.

i will put a thread in the metalwork section as well should make it interesting to get their ideas.

Cheers now get out in the shed and start work it isn't really that hot :no::no::no:

Ooroo

wheelinround
15th November 2009, 08:08 AM
I am condsidering giving this one a go as have turned a few candle stick holders http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_aoknvTezfhA/Svqi2slCiOI/AAAAAAAAAZw/7jJP-SkXHGg/s1600/IMG_2359.jpg

3 toed sloth
15th November 2009, 09:46 AM

Good thinking Skew, but I'm going for something a bit more refined-how about using a piece of timber and a forstner bit.:D

not so shorty
15th November 2009, 11:03 PM
i haven't posted anything on this forum for a couple of years now and but i think I'm going to give this challenge a go, I've got a few ides in mind.

p.s if your wondering about my user name its because I'm shorty's son :U

TTIT
17th November 2009, 11:19 PM
Spade bit, lump of wood, instant rustic. :pGood idea Skew. Had this lump of Red Stringybark fencepost already sitting in the bench - leftover from making an egg for the collection. Figured I've got too much else to do to try anything fancy so this is it - - - - wadjarekkin??:U

TTIT
17th November 2009, 11:29 PM
Thought I'd better dress it up a little.... :;

1. Mounted on the pin jaws to turn a spigot on the bum end.
2. Remounted by the spigot. Roughing down the top with the centre up for security - lot of cracks in this stuff.
3. Top end shaped ready for sanding and finishing.
4. Drop of oil to settle the dust.
5. Remounted on the pin jaws again to reshape and finish the foot.
6&7. Finished - so rustic and rural that there is even some 'signature' bird poop on one part :U

ElizaLeahy
18th November 2009, 08:44 AM
I'm fine T - bummed that I can't turn. I'll forget everything!

That's a lovely Aussie rustic candle holder!

The little silky oak one on the blue background, I'm pretty sure it's mine - that might have to be my "challenge"

Looking forward to joining you on more challenges next year :)

Calm
18th November 2009, 11:40 AM
Vern you beat me to the WIP - i have been attempting something for a few days. i have not done one of these glue up with paper turn break apart and reglue so all in the dark here. Dont even know if this will be the finished product most likely to be fancy firewood and go back to Skews idea.:D

What else but Blackwood - first a peice about 75mm square thicknessed to get good sides for glue up
122324 122325

Bloody clamps again you never seem to have enough of the right size and they get in the road of each other. Just when you think you have it right you see there is another angle not clamped. Used Titebond 2 and left overnight to dry

122326 122327

Of course there had to be a UFO in the job both bits headed for the door (away from me)

122328 122329

So finished this bit - I decided spray on Poly the ideal finish for something that will probably not work but if it does it needs a finish.

Being a student of the ERN REEDERS school of sanding (and with the same love/desire to do it) i was not all that fussy about what will be the inside. (Not saying Ern doesnt do a good job just that IMHO sanding is THE PITS) I got my 1 metre rolls of Hermes paper unrolled and held onto a piece of dowel then at about 500 i just used the dowel to move the paper where i wanted. Started at 150 - 240 - 320 - 400 but there are plenty of tool marks still in. sprayed on the poly with the STUBBY running very slow (about 50 - 100 (did i tell you how good STUBBY'S are with there EVS) I luv my STUBBY :D:D:))) If i did another i suppose waste blocks would be a better idea although the recess is only about 20mm wide.

So later i will break the glue on the paper and reglue the other way round - Fingers crossed the bits line up. might use Araldite for this one instead of aTitebond 3

Ed Reiss
18th November 2009, 12:55 PM
hope you had the face shield on David....all that paper flappin' around could be dangerous !!:doh::D:D:D

SawDustSniffer
22nd November 2009, 04:37 PM
since the timber medium is flamable , the use of a brass ( or nonfamable ) insert is a must , especaly when given to an old foks home ,lets just say there more than likely to be forgetfull ,

lets not have a heap of "old fokes home" fires traced back to this site
was bored today , logged on , wow , im in , going out to the shed right now :2tsup:

TTIT
22nd November 2009, 11:56 PM
since the timber medium is flamable , the use of a brass ( or nonfamable ) insert is a must , especaly when given to an old foks home ,lets just say there more than likely to be forgetfull ,....
Just so I don't appear to be irresponsible with (other peoples) safety, if you look reeeeaaaallly close at the last pic, you can just see the rim of the brass (plated) insert I used :2tsup:

Kev Y.
23rd November 2009, 03:40 PM
This is my entry into the challenge.

Timber used is a piece of Yellow Box (scrounged from a mates paddock). It is a branch piece that has Mistle-toe?? (maybe) on/in it.
Finished with a coat of white shellac and then two coats of danish oil. Insert is a Tea-Light Candle.

tea lady
23rd November 2009, 03:58 PM
I'm fine T - bummed that I can't turn. I'll forget everything!

That's a lovely Aussie rustic candle holder!

The little silky oak one on the blue background, I'm pretty sure it's mine - that might have to be my "challenge"

Looking forward to joining you on more challenges next year :)Oh well! Good you haven't completely disappeared.:cool:

wheelinround
23rd November 2009, 05:42 PM
I'll have to withdraw seems I have strained my shoulder still able to do a bit but very limited.:-

Ed Reiss
23rd November 2009, 10:56 PM
I'll have to withdraw seems I have strained my shoulder still able to do a bit but very limited.:-

See Ray...that's what happens when you try to lift the beer glass too high when making a toast :doh:

Next time lift just high enuff to reach the lips :2tsup::D

Get better soon, guy !!!

wheelinround
24th November 2009, 07:03 AM
See Ray...that's what happens when you try to lift the beer glass too high when making a toast :doh:

Next time lift just high enuff to reach the lips :2tsup::D

Get better soon, guy !!!

:roll: I haven't had a beer for sooooooooo long Ed maybe thats the reason :U feeling better this morning but going to rest it for a few days as much as I can still got to move me around somehow.

TTIT
27th November 2009, 02:35 PM
Had our xmas "luncheon" at work today and I wrapped the candle holder up and put it under the tree. Numbers in a hat type arrangement to dish out the pressies. One very happy guidance officer scored it - don't know how she worked out who put it under the tree!!! :B I picked up a set of "cheese & pate knives" - so now I'll have to make a cheese & dip platter for 'em - like I haven't got enough to do :doh: :;:U

C'mon you slackers :~ Where's the rest of the candle holders?????:o

Calm
28th November 2009, 01:10 PM
Following on from Post 24
(http://www.woodworkforums.com/f234/christmas-challenge-candle-holder-108107/index2.html)
I glued (with 24 hr araldite) the 4 blocks back together with the 4 outside corners now being in the middle. (sorry no pics)

Then i turned it to a shape i thought reasonable (except for the curve to the top bit) sanded to 320 (fairly roughly as a lot of tool marks remained) and sprayed with poly (yep the tin went flat - or the nossle blocked up - so that didnt work properly either)

123086 123088

i put a small foot on it

In this one u can see i didnt get the shape of the first bit right,. I had the "u" shape tighter at the top as i thought i would be able to have it higher on the outside and a dip into the middle - i didnt realise these holes would look Bl**dy ordinary -

anyway any comments.

If time permits i will have another go before the time is up and try to get a better finished product.

TTIT and I is not a real flash comp - or is it? :p:p

Come on Jeff u can do it.:2tsup::2tsup:

Cheers

Ozkaban
29th November 2009, 11:17 AM
Nice, and interesting work...

I've been a total slacko. Haven't done a lot of turning lately as work has been very stressful, and I'm now sick (I think the two are related...).

I've got a nice idea in my head - but I have to put it on paper, or even better, in wood soon or I'll forget it! So appologies for being a slacko. Need a round-tuit!

Cheers,
Dave

Calm
29th November 2009, 04:54 PM
Ok thought this time i will do the first bit then cut on BS and reglue instead of starting with 4 blocks.

Found this old bit of wood (no idea where it came from:no::roll::B)

Cut the edges off with the BS and then put through thicknesser to get square/finished edges for glueing later. Marked the end ready to cut with BS after i turned the first bit. (then put in lathe - first cut squared ends , so no more pencil marks- sometimes i not very clever)

Turned to the shape and sanding ready to finish the inside before cutting. Made this attempt a bit wider in the curve and hopefully give a better flow/shape to the holes when reglued. Boy i luv sanding especially when the corners are going past your fingers so close.:no::no::C BTW sanding was at about 500 rpm thats 2000 CPM (corners per minute) DAMHIKT

Ok now i sprayed with satin poly this time , came inside then thought
- the sanded corners are going to look crap inside the finished thing - they become the centre of the reglue.
- the "step" at the edge of the "round" is going to show up when i cut and reglue.

So i need to go back square the edges/corners and then finish the curve so it meets the edges neatly. I think i need to have the corners bits straight in then when the "round" bit starts the curve needs to be constant. Help any ideas - i'm new at this inside out turning. As well as shape i need to sand again without touching the corners - tomorrows job.

tea lady
29th November 2009, 11:23 PM
Will have a go at my idea tomorrow. My Small Boy is sick though, so might be home from school. :C I'll put the telly on! He'll be right.:D

Ozkaban
30th November 2009, 08:59 AM
Will have a go at my idea tomorrow. My Small Boy is sick though, so might be home from school. :C I'll put the telly on! He'll be right.:D

Maybe he's like the rest of of and finds that a Skew chisel is a miraculous cure for many ailments :D Get him out into the shed and get him to have a go :2tsup:

Cheers,
Dave

Frank&Earnest
30th November 2009, 02:50 PM
Maybe he's like the rest of of and finds that a Skew chisel is a miraculous cure for many ailments :D

Yes, sometimes I thought that, but the prospect of 30 years in jail afterwards always put me off. :D

Jokes aside, what happened of the original idea of having some sort of structured challenge? We just show off what we make?

Ozkaban
30th November 2009, 02:56 PM
Yes, sometimes I thought that, but the prospect of 30 years in jail afterwards always put me off. :D

:doh:Thought I was probably a bit ambiguous... All I meant was that when chucking a sickie, you suddenly feel a lot better after heading out to the shed and picking up a chisel and spending some quality hobby time :D

Jokes aside, what happened of the original idea of having some sort of structured challenge? We just show off what we make?
I thought it was just a show and tell, though on the same topic. Much like the finial one. Still waiting for Tea Lady's 48 candle candelabra :o

Cheers,
Dave

Calm
30th November 2009, 02:57 PM

F&E this is as structured as it gets - Use this thread for a WIP if you wish then on the 15th Dec i will get all entrants together and make a voting thread - assuming there are enough entrants:2tsup::2tsup:

That suit you ok.:D:D

Cheers

Frank&Earnest
30th November 2009, 03:16 PM
Thanks David... both of you. For once I was not the only one to feel a bit confused. :wink:

Frank&Earnest
30th November 2009, 06:56 PM
Ok, this is my entry. For my inspiration I acknowledge Ed (need to think creatively) and the other poster (can't find the post, sorry) who said what a pity it was to muck beautiful woodwork with dripping wax.

While looking at a couple of small bowls of Western Myall I had already made, the idea came. The bubble with the light bulb said: "what if the dripping wax were incorporated in the design to make it aesthetically pleasing?

Hence the design of a cascading Renaissance fountain made by adding complementary bowls and columns to the bowls I already had.

As you see in the picture, modern candles do not seem to drip a lot. I lit the candle with the hope of showing the cascading wax, but the candle was almost half gone and the drip had just reached the base. You will have to use your imagination.

While stacking the bowls before joining them, I realised that without columns the candle holder also looks good, with a more modern "desert rose" look. That would be indeed tricky to clean, if the pieces are glued: but a minuscule blob of blue tack filling the bottom and top concavities of each joint is strong enough to hold (if nobody around had too many drinks :D ) Either way, these designs are not meant for old folks homes, except as items for sale...:wink:

No need to teach anybody how to suck eggs, it's just a combination of simple bowls and spindles. The only tricky part was the chucking, and we have already discussed that in another thread. Finish is Shellawax.

jefferson
2nd December 2009, 05:20 PM
Nicely done, Frank.:2tsup:

What's this western myall stuff. Must grow reasonably large??? I assume it's hard enough to hold detail.

Ed Reiss
3rd December 2009, 01:23 PM
truly inspired work Frank :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:...and it has given me an idea for a variation on the design...now if I can only drag my lazy butt down to the cellar where the lathe is:doh::;

Frank&Earnest
3rd December 2009, 02:51 PM
Thanks for the compliments guys. Yes Jeff, it holds detail well. Better than a certain unnamed acacia...:wink::D

Given that an old finial experiment was there doing nothing, I made a small snuffer to go with the holder...:D

Calm
6th December 2009, 06:08 PM
Following on from Post #36

I cut the block on the bandsaw and reglued "inside out"

This time i tried to follow the inside radius on the outside whereas the first was square with rounded corners.

and a couple of both finished - I will bring to GJ's on 13th for show & tell.

Sorry about the photos they are from my Mobile phone.

How are the other entries going

Cheers

Ed Reiss
7th December 2009, 12:29 PM
Very good David...any thoughts for some kind of handle??

Calm
7th December 2009, 12:44 PM
Very good David...any thoughts for some kind of handle??

None what so ever -

But now you mention it. ?????:?:?

Apparently i need to get brass inserts (so i'm told) so maybe a little brass "finger loop" would look alright.

I have allowed room for a thin brass insert.

Thanks for your comments Ed - you having a go at this as well?

Cheers

Ed Reiss
8th December 2009, 12:45 PM
None what so ever -

But now you mention it. ?????:?:?

Apparently i need to get brass inserts (so i'm told) so maybe a little brass "finger loop" would look alright.

I have allowed room for a thin brass insert.

Thanks for your comments Ed - you having a go at this as well?

Cheers

Well Dave, most things take me a while to do or mention...or so Ann tells me so :roll:

I had the best of intentions ( ...and you know the road to hell is paved with them) to do something for this, but a couple of health hiccups have kinda' kept me sidelined for a while :doh: ...and now SWMBO has me doing some flatwork for Xmas presents along with miscellaneous honey-do list work, so I'll try to do something after the New Year - if that's permissible.:D

steck
15th December 2009, 07:10 PM
I have been flat out since I picked up my candle and wood cube on Sunday. I don't think I can get around to this job till the new year. Sorry!
Calm, I was trying to explain to my daughter how you made your candle holder - Now I see I can show her your pictures!

Frank&Earnest
16th December 2009, 11:17 AM
Well done, Calm, congratulations. Now you can rightfully brag that you got two entries in the top five. :D

Next challenge: use multi-axis turning to make your last design in one piece. Do you accept? :)

Ozkaban
16th December 2009, 03:12 PM
Well, now that the 12th has come and gone, my progress has been exactly nought :no:

Since October I have made a single pen :~. Just don't get time in the shed anymore... Still, on the bright side, from the new year I move onto a less demanding client, so maybe, just maybe I'll sneak something in for next christmas :2tsup:

The work that has been displayed so far has been great. Wish I did my bit...

Cheers,
Dave