PDA

View Full Version : The ultimate turners jacket

brendan stemp
13th November 2009, 09:09 AM
If you were to have a turners jacket made to your needs what would it include. I have not found or seen one that I reckon ticks all the boxes so I am thinking why not design one. So some suggestions please.

Long sleeve or short? Thick or thin material? Elastic or velcro? Pockets for what? I have worn holes in my jackets from wiping sandpaper on them to clean it so thought a removable patch might be good. I saw a Jimmy Clewes dvd and his jacket had a pocket at the back similar to that of bike riders. I have a waist length jacket and then there is the Woodys Gear jackets which are longer. And then there is the one Terry Scott wears which is longer still, about half way down his thighs. But like most things production costs need to be considered so how much would you spend?

I reckon our collective thoughts could come up with something really good so over to you.

tea lady
13th November 2009, 09:20 AM
Wiping sandpaper? Where? Maybe a little bit of velcro hooks so it will kinda scrub.

Other design points;

reckons no stretchy cloth around the neck of cuffs cos it just collects splinters.

Long sleeve with some way to make cuff tight around wrist (overlapped velcro? ) so that stuff does.t go up your sleeve.

Double layer of tough fabric on the front. (specially for , cos when he turrns big things somehow he gets splinters through the front and into his stomach. :doh:

Some way to close the gap at the back of the neck. (How does stuff get back there? :think:

I'm interested in this problem cos I've been meaning to make a/some turning jackets myself. One for for xmas. (Don't tell him :secret: ):D

hughie
13th November 2009, 09:45 AM
For me I don't know if there is one design I would prefer over another. I tend to wear no shirt if its hot and rug up when its cold. :U

But some obvious ideas come to mind, Closed cuffs, some sort of polar neck set up. Velcro would the way to go as you can use it to allow different sizes. So one size could fit many. No pockets for me, just rubbish collection points.If they are a must an internal pocket would be they way to go

Smooth and light weight so as not to get in the way, If synthetic material[ Kevlar would be good ]is used then it should be breathable.Ideally Cotton as it can be washed readily and it breathes well.

Check out the high speed packaging industry they have cuff less and collarless working clothes. A bit of research in this area could turn up some good design ideas that could be incorporated

For the colder climes it could have a detachable inner lining for warmth and perhaps a Velcro option to shorten or do away with the sleeves as required.

Padded elbows and upper fore arm etc to prevent snagging the tailstock

For the bull at a gate turners/ live dangerously types a padded front :U with leather or a couple of layers of Kevlar.

oldiephred
13th November 2009, 09:47 AM
I have a seamstress working on one for me. Using heavy denim. Puffy sleeves so I can wear a jacket under it and there will be velcro tighteners at the wrists. Shoe length. Hospital gown style (closes in the back so the front is plain with nothing to catch and the neck can be fitted more closely). Pockets in the sleeve. Maybe a pocket with a flap cover on the front later. When I get it, then I can look at changes.
Will look forward to the ideas presented here.

Cliff Rogers
13th November 2009, 09:57 AM
Long sleeves
No pockets at the front
Light material for a tropical climate
Good zip

I got one from Timbcom & had a better zip put in it, you can get good long metal zips from Spotlight (girls version of Bunnies)

If it is cold, wear something under it, if it is hot, wear nothing under it.

rsser
13th November 2009, 10:00 AM
The Woodies jacket suits me but would prefer long sleeves.

Pencil pockets on arm tops are good and a flapped pocket on the chest would be useful too. A closure on the sleeve would be useful as TL mentions; the number of times I've had the toolrest slide up my flannel shirt ...

Cotton or cotton rich material.

issatree
13th November 2009, 10:28 AM
Morning Brendan,
Well I think you are aware of what I chose, & this is the White Chemical Suit by Dupont.

I cut the Hood off & the Elastic from around my Ankles, but the Elastic cuffs stay.
These Suits are reasonably Cheap, & I can get up to 7 - 8 Months, out of them & if I'm lucky I can throw them in the Washing Machine, last wash of the day.
When they come from the Spin dry, you can put them back on as the are almost dry.

I find with these Suits, that no Shavings stick & no Dust to worry you either, & yes they mainly wear out because of the cleaning of my Sand Paper, but can be repaired with a bit of Super Glue.

Of course when you do Demo's, you have to have a fairly clean pair.
I am able to cut the legs to knee length, & cut the sleeves to the Elbow, for the Summer.

Yes, I am a lucky Person, as a lot of people know that I wear these suits & I get a lot of Donations of Suits. 2 sizes XL my size, & XXL that I mainly use in the shed, as they are a bit Over Size, out of sight out of mind ?.

They are warm in the Winter,& can be cool in the Summer.

I first seen these used by Stephan Hughes many years ago at a show in Kiama ? just out of Sheparton.

Get a lot of Laughs & a lot of Comments, like "The Condom Suit". Say what you will, there is no better suit than these.

Regards,
issatree.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

artme
13th November 2009, 10:35 AM
Kia-Ora I think, Issatree.

rsser
13th November 2009, 10:48 AM
Don't forget Brendan, we'll need matching gaiters/sock protectors/boot covers (the terms seem to vary).

TTIT
13th November 2009, 11:06 AM
Shorts, thongs and a loose singlet for the 'shake through' effect. :o What!!!! :o Isn't this what everyone else wears?!?!?! :o

rotten_66
13th November 2009, 11:31 AM
Kia-Ora I think, Issatree.

Probably Kialla, about 5-10km south of Shepparton

Ron

Ozkaban
13th November 2009, 11:55 AM
I mostly like the short sleeved woodturners jacket I got from Trend, but the zipper is crap, so I might fit another one of these days. I don't like the neck too much - I can't find a comfortable medium between uncomfortably tight and too loose. I like the pencil pockets on the sleeve, but I always forget they're there :doh:

The turning instructor at Trend used a dentists jacket, which he reckoned was very good - short sleeved, and no elastic around the neck but it did up fairly snug with press-studs.

Cheers,
Dave

Texian
13th November 2009, 12:35 PM
T-shirt (shirt tail out) and jeans, and a nearby hose from the air compressor for dust off. Anything more is too hot.

hughie
13th November 2009, 12:51 PM
Shorts, thongs and a loose singlet for the 'shake through' effect. :o What!!!! :o Isn't this what everyone else wears?!?!?! :o[

I,m with you :2tsup: keep it simple

masoth
13th November 2009, 03:09 PM
"........... White Chemical Suit by Dupont." From where are these available, issatree? I reckon this would be apples, mate.

sooth

Tony Morton
13th November 2009, 03:50 PM
Hi Brendon

For me the turners style that are comercially available are a good foundation , however if you could incorporate a longer front to cover shorts but not zip all the way down and 3/4 length sleeves and good fit around neck I get sick of fishing shavings out of my undies. I also need a veil on the back of my hood as I allways end up with a head full of shavings.

Cheers Tony

Ozkaban
13th November 2009, 04:01 PM
I get sick of fishing shavings out of my undies.

:shrug: I find wearing pants solves this one :D

NeilS
13th November 2009, 05:35 PM
Have always worn full overalls. Most of the year it's about 10°C in my workshop, so can be worn over extra clothing or nothing in summer.

Preferred type has full length zipper (not studs), velcro adjustment around sleeves, zip up pockets, plenty of pockets of various sizes on upper sleeves, more pockets all over the place. Best so far has been secondhand air force flight overalls... they are even fire resistant.....:U.

Also have patches on arms and chest for attaching badgy things with velcro that could probably be used for attaching something else for doing sandpaper rubbings. Last two pair cost me $10ea from op shop, but understand they are exy if you buy them new.

dai sensei
13th November 2009, 07:17 PM
I used to have a long sleeved one from I can't remember where, it's zip was crap and the valcro tie at top just annoyed the hell out of me.

Last year whilst in Melb I picked up a new short sleeved jacket from Jim at Carrols and I've been very impressed :2tsup:. Zip good and neck also Ok. It is from light material and I can use jumper in cold or nothing in summer no probs. No pockets front or back, but pen holders on the short sleeves that have proved to be handy and do not fill up with crap. It is nice and long that is also good, but that could just be because it is a big size :-

The only improvement I might suggest, is pleets in sides for stretch room, like bowling shirts.

Manuka Jock
13th November 2009, 09:45 PM
Hi Brendon

however if you could incorporate a longer front to cover shorts but not zip all the way down and 3/4 length sleeves and good fit around neck I get sick of fishing shavings out of my undies.

:shrug: I find wearing pants solves this one :D

or pants and no undies :2tsup:

Ozkaban
14th November 2009, 08:12 AM
or pants and no undies :2tsup:

Heck, no undies or pants would do it too :oo:

Manuka Jock
14th November 2009, 08:23 AM
Thats true , would need the longer reinforced smock then eh:p

rsser
14th November 2009, 09:15 AM
Heheh ....

Just cultivate a tear-drop shaped gut and the overhang means no curlies in the curlies.

NCPaladin
14th November 2009, 09:59 AM
Light weight & waterproof like a windbreaker, no lining. Thigh length to keep the shavings out of you pants pockets. Long sleeve with Velcro closure at cuff. Don’t know what the style is called but in the 60/70’s some shirts had long sleeves, when you rolled the sleeves up there was a tab on the inside which would pull around the rolled up cuff and button (Velcro now) on the outside to keep the sleeves up. Would open in the back (like the hospital gown) but only go down to the length of a shirt yoke, the rest of the back would be open. Velcro at the neck and maybe a softer material for the neck instead of the waterproof material. Nylon would be sticky in the summer. Strap (belt?) at the waist with Velcro on one end to adjust waist. Cool in the summer with a t-shirt, in the winter wear a sweatshirt under it. Pocket on chest with flaps with areas for pencil, slip/honing stone, etc.
That’s it.
Mike

orraloon
14th November 2009, 11:12 AM
Most of the time a T shirt and jeans or shorts in summer. When working camphor and silkey oak or any timber that makes me itch I wear those disposable paper overalls. About $5 in hardware stores or perhaps your workplace has them at a better price. they have elastic cuffs and even a hood if you want total protection. I get quite q few uses out of them too.
Regards
John

Evan Pavlidis
14th November 2009, 02:11 PM
G'day Brendan,

Interesting thread you started. I've been using the long sleeve woodies gear jacket for several years now and find it comfortable. The annoying thing about it is the elastic cuffs at the sleeves which gather chaf and over time expand. I'd prefer velcrose straps to adjust and also velcro when you roll up the sleeves to keep them up.

What about a pair of overalls made of a similar fabric like the woodies with velcro fasteners at the front with an overlay. The leg bottoms can go over the work boots and fixed with velcro to act similar as gaiters to prevent chaf going into your boots in either long or short sleeves.

Another alternative is something similar to a full length surgeon's smock or a chemist's half length which can be fixed on the side with overlay pockets.

crow400
14th November 2009, 03:55 PM
Took the buttons off a short sleeved, Gloster, double twist cotton shirt with two flapped pockets, and SWAMBO kindly sewed velcro to close from neck down. Very comfortable.

masoth
15th November 2009, 09:28 AM
Yeah? Well, after much head-nodding at most suggestions and with serious thought of the ideal work wear I decided I need something that will change with my waist line. I have bib and brace overies, tee shirts and shorts, jeans, turners jacket all which tend to grow smaller with time - must be shrinkage - perhaps I should quit washing the things.

soth

GC
16th November 2009, 10:44 PM
Short sleeves, so as not to get caught on anything.

High neck to stop chips getting in.

Pen pocket on sleeves, quality zip with velcro flap to cover, lastly a little longer at the front.

Lastly, as my jacket gets very very dusty (lots of sanding) would wax cotton like the old driza bone work????

GC

govarney
17th November 2009, 12:16 AM
Hi Brendan,

Don't think there is a "one size fits all solution".

For example, my long sleeve jacket is great for turning in winter in Ballarat (because Ballarat does cool off a bit in winter :; ).

But I am currently in the market for a short sleeve version as, like Horsham, it does get a bit warm in summer.