PDA

View Full Version : dust extraction connectors...

Zed
14th August 2004, 11:35 PM
Hi,

I bought a triton dust bucket today and a karcher industrial vaccum and connected it - dead sexy - it will work well for my limited powered equipment. When I get real machinary I'll splash out and get a real extraction system like a jet 2hp 2 inlet jobbie or some such nonsense...

heres the rub - how do I connect my power tools to the hose ? I have a collection of power tools with DE ports built in :

Makita 9.5 circular saw,
bosch ROS
Triton Router
Makita 9924 3" belt sander
Makita 82mm power plane.

they all have different exit ports for the dust - both size and shape - how do I connect the suckers to the triton hose from the bucket ?? are there adaptors ? where can I get them ?

Cheers Lads.

Gumby
14th August 2004, 11:57 PM
The answer obviously lies in what sort of dust port (if any) each tool has. The triton router for instance uses dust collection when fixed to the Triton Router table and the hose simply fits on. It fits my Bosch belt sander nicely and the GMC ROS as well. For making quick adaptors, duct tape can come in very handy until you build something more permanent.

Do a search in the Triton forums and read the huge thread on dust extraction. I'd strongly advise that you make the Sturdee Cyclone modification. Otherwise your Triton will stop sucking very quickly as the lid clogs up and you have to keep bashing it. The mod stops all this and allows full suction all the time.

Barry_White
15th August 2004, 12:22 AM
Various sizes of plumbing sewerage pipe and electrical conduit will usually cover most port openings.

Turbulance
15th August 2004, 12:23 AM
Here's what I do - get your SWMBO to use Continental Powered Stock - mine goes through the stuff like it was "powered stock" - I get one of these every other week or so - and you have yourself a handy screw fitting device for adapting any pipe or port up to about 60mm in diameter.

Use a hole saw in the bottom of the main container that is just shy of the connection to your vacuum hose, you can then use silicon or a couple of hose claps if you wish a really firm connection to your pipe, but I find it works okay just pressed onto the pipe - then using a number of screw-on-lids cut a hole equivalent to each port that you have - if you leave the canister loose enough to turn you can screw it on to any of your power tools, and have a good air-tight fitting.

The larger size of the cap, and container, stops the fitting from blocking, and it costs nothing! Getting the sticky label off is a pain - if you can work out a simple way let me know. I just leave the labels on mine as water won't soften the glue, and I am reluctant to try anything else as a solvent, in case it dissolves the container. I found that this container fits the port on my Sherwood belt sander just right if you give it a good push!

al2
15th August 2004, 12:58 AM
Try using some different sizes(dia.) of clear plastic hoses from any hardware store. If the inner dimensions don't fit then the outer dimensions might. At the moment I've got a "Y" type of washing machine hose (luckily the ends are tapered into sections to allow you to trim off the correct size) where I extract the dust from the workcentre's overhead guard and also the port of the circular saw and feed it to my cyclone. Got the "Y" hose while I was overseas, haven't seen it here thought. Yes and lots of ducting tape.

Chesand
15th August 2004, 08:07 AM
Paul
Acetone or nail polish remover will probably remove the glue from your containers with affecting the plastic.

Zed
15th August 2004, 08:14 AM
thanks for the repiles fellas. now to the SHED!!!!

Sturdee
15th August 2004, 12:12 PM
Getting the sticky label off is a pain - if you can work out a simple way let me know. I just leave the labels on mine as water won't soften the glue, and I am reluctant to try anything else as a solvent, in case it dissolves the container.

I soak of the label and then clean of the glue with kerosene. It cleans of all kinds of oil, grease and glue. Smells a bit but it is cheap.

I don't know about your container but I use it on glass and on old plastic coke and other drink containers without any problems.

Peter.

scooter
15th August 2004, 01:42 PM
Zed, get a $20 hot air gun, pair of leather gloves, & a couple of different sizes of PVC stormwater, pressure, or conduit piping and make your own adaptors.

Heat the pvc evenly & gradually until it goes rubbery, then push it over a (pre-prepared!) form of the shape you want to adapt to, & hold it there while it hardens again. Make a blue? - heat it again & give it another shot.

Now for the OH&S - the PVC apparently gives off noxius gases that are carcinogenic, so make sure you do it in a well ventilated place - pref. outside.

Use the gloves - pipe gets v. hot.

Don't overheat pipe - makes it too brittle - just heat until rubbery.

I have made a number of adaptors, flanges etc - dead easy.

Give it a go..................cheers........Sean

Zed
16th August 2004, 09:04 AM
scooter - best idea I've heard today, chees mate!