PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Jet SuperSaw Left tilt?

graemecarson
15th August 2004, 01:44 AM
I was about to commit to my first table saw a Jet SuperSaw until i found that it has a left tilting blade. Being a newbie it threw me. Does it make a great difference? How difficult is it to get used to? The saw seems top quality and value but I'm not sure I can drive on the left. Can any supersaw users enlighten me?

Cheers. :confused:

Grunt
15th August 2004, 03:59 AM
This article sums it up for me. (http://benchmark.20m.com/articles/LeftVersusRightTilt/TablesawTilt.html) I have a Carbatec TSC-10HB which is a righty.

zymurgy
15th August 2004, 09:23 AM
"Most saws offer a left tilting blade, meaning that when the ripping guide is to the right of the blade the blade will tilt away from the guide. Some of the higher end saws also offer a right tilting model.

When making a bevel cut, a left tilt moves the blade away from the fence, keeping the teeth away from your hand and lowering the risk of pinching the piece between the fence and blade. Even though the risk can be reduced on a right tilt by moving the fence to the left of the blade, this is a less familiar action, which might increase the risk somewhat.

In addition the arbor thread is a normal right hand thread on the left tilt models, on the right tilt models it is a left hand thread which takes some getting used to when changing blades.

If you only have one saw you will soon get used to it, whether it is a left or right tilt, so this probably should not be a factor in your decision on purchasing a saw everything else being equal."

I have the left tilt and it seems perfectly natural to me - probably because I have never had a right tilt.

hcbph
15th August 2004, 10:29 AM
I've used both left and right tilt models. Personally I prefer a left tilt. Only one item to watch is if you want to add a sliding table, there are models that only work on a right tilt saw.

graemecarson
15th August 2004, 11:55 AM
Thanks for the replies. I have looked at Carbatec's range and liked the TSC10HB and the TS12R but both need me to spend heaps to rewire my workhop to handle the 3hp motor. The Super saw comes within the range of my current (no pun intended) wiring setup and is a quality unit to my eyes.

I suppose I've been swayed by using my triton and by watching the New Yankee and Woodworks where I first discovered the real world and they appear to use right tilt units. It seems as though the consensus is a lefty is fine and I'm sure I'll learn any tricks.

The SS also offers a sliding table model so I have another decision to make there. Any thoughts? The guys at Gregory Machinery have offered a top package on all the other bits i want as well - ie bandsaw, drum sander, jointer, chisel mortiser, whetstone sharpener, dovetail jig, Dado blade etc etc so the Jet brand is something i want to go with. They do have a right tilt cabinet saw in the catalogue but it doesn't seem quite as well spec'd as the SS.

I appreciate your help and am really pleased i found these forums. They are a great help just to read let alone ask for assistance - thanks again.

Cheers. :)

Rocker
15th August 2004, 01:36 PM
Graeme,

You may not need to rewire your workshop to for a 3 hp saw. I have been running my 3 hp jet saw on a 10 amp circuit without any problems. My electrician fitted a 15-amp outlet, which is probably illegal. But he reckoned that the 3 hp motor would be OK on the existing 10-amp wiring, so long as nothing else was running at the same time. Maybe one of our sparky experts could comment further.

Rocker

graemecarson
15th August 2004, 11:42 PM
Thanks Rocker, I'll check with a local sparky who's done some work here and see what he thinks. It might be a bit much if i have the 2hp dust extractor working at the same time but it's worth the ask.

bsrlee
16th August 2004, 05:02 AM
I wouldn't sweat the wiring unless you live in an 'older' house. Most wiring these days is done with 20 amp wiring - its just not worth while for a company to stock several different wire gauges & risk stuffing a job up by using the wrong one. The only bit that should be 10 amp is the fuse wire.

I live in a late 1940's house & we have just had all the power points rewired/replaced, and its all 20 amp wire. I probably should get the light wiring re-done (manyana) too.

graemecarson
16th August 2004, 05:12 PM
The circuit breakers on the power circuits in the shed are 20amp - the lighting breakers are 10amp. Initially I thought this might mean I had a strong enough circuit but apparently its fairly normal these days for electrics. I'm becoming more comfortable with the idea of the left tilt Jet super saw because it looks so much better than many of the alternatives and I shouldn't have a problem running it and the Carbatech 2hp dust sucker at the same time. I think the fellas at Gregory have a video on Jet saws so I might see if I can borrow it. It could answer some of my original concerns. I think I'm a victim of familiarity with one way of doing things - there's almost always another sometimes better way.