PDA

View Full Version : A question about hand care.

DeViAtE
15th August 2004, 02:06 AM
Being a computer based person myself I've never realy had anything to do with woodwork/building/using my hands other than typing, moving the mouse and we'll leave it at that! :) I never realised how much damage it would do to my hands! Other than the usual 'slip of the finger, into a finger' type cuts, my hands are getting annoyingly rough.

Now most of you are saying 'well duh, what do you expect?!', but I'm curious about any ways to avoid that because I realy like my soft hands :P

Does anyone here have any suggestions on ways to keep your hands in good condition?

lesmeyer
15th August 2004, 02:12 AM
G'day.
Being an IT bloke myself, I notice that my hands are roughing up - but I don't mind. I like the firm handshakes. If you want to preserve your hands, Neutrogena hand cream should do the trick. Same stuff is used by the fishermen in the scandinavian countries to treat their chapped hands.

Chesand
15th August 2004, 07:57 AM
Ego Skin Cream works well - one of very few that heal the cracks in the end of fingers that carpenters suffer from. Apply liberally at night and wear cotton gloves or old cotton socks. The warmth overnight causes it to really soak in. It is made by an Australian company to boot.

Theva
15th August 2004, 08:03 AM
In addition to creams, use riggers leather work gloves for saftey.

Regards,

Theva

ozwinner
15th August 2004, 08:33 AM
I think this thread belongs on the gay chat BB.

Kisses, Al

Ivan in Oz
15th August 2004, 08:43 AM
Ego Skin Cream works well - one of very few that heal the cracks in the end of fingers that carpenters suffer from.
< SNIP >
It is made by an Australian company to boot.

G'day Tom, Ppl,
I'll sure go with TomA and the Ego!
Tom:- wear Surgical [cheapo] gloves over the cotton mittens.

I suffer from psoriasis, and the Ego is on the [VERY] short list.

Any K1W1s here? Lanolin..........all jokes aside, is also very good.

Elsewhere was mentioned Riggers gloves, Pigskin ones are my choice. Oink!! :(

If you want to get serious [sick] :rolleyes:
When they did cane cutting, Manually, Many many years ago;
the cane cutters would urinate on their [own] hands, :D
this was more of a chemical reaction because of the high consentration of Salts present :eek:

I work manually, I'm an Instro;
and the winter cracks on the fingers are by far the worse.
SS316 Instrument Tubing at near on 0*C, ouch!! :( :(

Ivan in Oz

duckman
15th August 2004, 09:14 AM
If you want to get serious [sick] :rolleyes:
When they did cane cutting, Manually, Many many years ago;
the cane cutters would urinate on their [own] hands, :D
this was more of a chemical reaction because of the high consentration of Salts present :eek:
Ivan in Oz
I thought the stink killed ya, so then you didn't have worry about ya hands?
:D

simon c
15th August 2004, 10:23 AM
Ivan

The reason you urinate on your hands is because of the urea, you'll find that a lot of high strength hand and foot creams containe (synthesised) urea, which softens hard skin.

You could try and convince SWMBO that this is why peeing in the shower is a good thing AND there's no toilet seat to leave up.

Simon

Grunt
15th August 2004, 01:18 PM
I think this thread belongs on the gay chat BB.

Kisses, Al

This ISN'T a gay chat BB? What are we all doing here?

ernknot
15th August 2004, 01:38 PM
A hand cream with an aloe vera content is also good.
ernknot.

Ivan in Oz
15th August 2004, 03:05 PM
A hand cream with an aloe vera content is also good.
ernknot.

That's for burns especially,
like when you rub you hands to briskly [read hard]............................ :eek:

OH! dear, shouldn't have left myself open for that..............I mean........... :o

Anyway, SERIOUSLY, Aleo Vera is also quite benificial for the mending of wounds also, bit messy though.

Ivan in Oz

seriph1
15th August 2004, 04:29 PM
(you all have just bugg#red my dissertation to my wife and friends at dinner last night, that we here on the woodworker's forum have better things to talk about than using creams and ointments to take care of ourselves!!!!! Freaky!)

My brother applies aloe vera cream twice daily as he has a skin condition..... all his life he has suffered from hand and foot ailments, resulting in cracking and chafing.... which at times has made doing manual work, painful.....he used to use cortizone cream, but actually found the AV superior.

Also, I find using those blue el-cheapo rubber gloves are pretty good as they dont reduce "touch" too much, yet assist in moisture retention...... keeps the pinkies warm too which is a real help here in chilly Kilmore, VIC

outback
15th August 2004, 07:55 PM
A sure fire cure

TOUGHEN UP!

Geez Louise.

Theva
15th August 2004, 09:41 PM
Most of the tradies I know use one cream or the other.

Try washing your hands with Solvol few times and see what it does to your hands!

Regards,

Theva

morry
15th August 2004, 10:36 PM
Are there any creams and lotions that will also keep me smelling nice as well?????????

Different
15th August 2004, 11:32 PM
You could start by putting on a bigger girls blouse!
Seriously do you realy want to keep your girlie soft hands.
Every task in woodworking is going to be easier and less painful if you hands are a bit tougher.
I dont know if you have heard but the day of the Metrosexual is over.
Bring on the Retrosexual Woodie!!!!

forunna
16th August 2004, 12:46 AM
I understood the urinating was for uric acid which actually toughens your skin not made it soft.
Sailors used to use it and I originally heard about it from my rowing coach when I was getting blisters. I didnt beleive him so didnt do it then later I heard it from other sources.

John Saxton
16th August 2004, 01:02 AM
Often overlooked in woodworking irrespective of your choice is that the properties of the timber you're working with may have a profound and prolonged affect on the skin namely of the tannins/oils found in differing timbers to differing degrees.
It may be very well to say that you need to harden your hands /get a bigger blouse etc but some people obviously react differently to the affects of timber on their hands irrespective of their occupation and with skin surface erosion or dermatitus caused by continual contact, then perhaps to persue their pastime some form of remedial relief is required regardless in what form that may be.
I still get dermatitus these days after contracting it all those years back when I started with woodturning to the point where my hands were continually cracking and bleeding let alone sore all the time.
Vitamin E creams were great for the healing process but the dermititus is very much in check by vigilance where I do use riggers gloves moreover if stacking or sorting particularly with undressed timber.

Cheers :)

DeViAtE
16th August 2004, 02:14 AM
You could start by putting on a bigger girls blouse!
Seriously do you realy want to keep your girlie soft hands.
Every task in woodworking is going to be easier and less painful if you hands are a bit tougher.
I dont know if you have heard but the day of the Metrosexual is over.
Bring on the Retrosexual Woodie!!!!
It's obvious you had ugly hands and you're just jealous ;)

Yes! I most definantly want to keep my *girlie* hands in good condition, now might be the time to mention that my hair almost reaches my **** as well so you should make fun of that too ;) - my muscles will still grow strong so everything will become easier in that sense it's just I don't want those dry scratchy hands that I've seen so many people with.

himzol
16th August 2004, 10:18 AM
DeViAtE,

Let me enlighten you, In order to "keep your girlie soft hands" you will need to stop working with wood, or any other rough material. Your skin getting harder is the body's way of protecting itself, all the handcreams in the world will not stop this happening.

By all means use the riggers gloves and the hand creams, specialy if working with recyled materials ( you don't know what's been spilled onto it or sprayed on to it).

BTW about the length of you hair, If you are any where near power tools and or machinery I would be very very carefull, I've seen somebody that got scalped by a drill press, not pretty.

Himzo.

silentC
16th August 2004, 10:27 AM
Well, you go away for the weekend and look what happens. :rolleyes:

Alastair
16th August 2004, 01:54 PM
On the subject of the little nicks and cuts to hands and fingers that always happen in the workshop, (the kind that bleed forever, and keep opening up everytime you touch something). When you have wasted the workshop time to go inside, clean up, disinfect, put on bandaid etc, you find that the B/A is in the way, catches on everything, is slippery so you drop things, and comes off after 15 minutes, 'cause the skin was still damp when you put it on!

I take the ubiquitous bottle of Superglue, which should be in every shed, mop blood away, add drop of superglue, and press closed with a paper towel. Stings like a bugger for a few seconds, and then peel off towel, and back to work. I find this heals well, and I have never had a cut get infected yet.

When my son split his eyebrow open playing hockey some years ago, the doc joined the split using a medical version of the same.

Alastair

Alastair

simon c
16th August 2004, 03:00 PM
I get lots of small nicks that don't hurt but bleed a lot on my work. I tried some of that new band aid stuff that you apply with a little applicator - waste of time as it rubs off very easily and very exepnsive. I see that elastoplast have a spray on plaster that I may try.

ernknot
16th August 2004, 03:00 PM
Alastair,
I would be very careful with stuff like superglue because it may well be carcinogenic
(cancer casuing). There is just too much chemical stuff around that can make you crook after a while. Be careful.
ernknot

kiwigeo
16th August 2004, 03:05 PM
Er....yoo hoo over here somebody..

I think I'm getting a bwister!!!

LineLefty
16th August 2004, 03:13 PM
In all seriousness, the main ingredient in Liquid Bandaind is "Liquid Bandage" a compound called "cyanoacrylate ester". Gee whizz Gee, thats super glue. The medical stuff just smells better and costs 50x as much.

Also, theres a product for guitarists called "liquid skin" whihc you paint on the end of your fingers when they get red raw. Thats basically super glue as well.

I've also heard it from someone who's friend heard it from the second cousin of an ambo's wife that they all carry superglue in their kits.

So there ya go.

i accept all responsibility for medical liability. If you get cancer from using superglue, go ahead and sue me.

Also, I rember clearly the day I teased me roof carpenter mate white I saw his bottle of hand cream in his car. Needless to say, his reply included terms such as "poofy office hands", "not sitting on my ass all day" and "you wouldnt last 5 seconds"

Termite
16th August 2004, 03:22 PM
WARNING WARNING WARNING.
Machinery and gloves are a big NO NO!
Imagine this:-
1. feeding timber into a thicknesser and glove gets caught on splinter = ouch!
2. you feeding big ugly toothed resaw bandsaw and friend/wife is tailing out - glove caught - Same result.
3. ever seen what happens when a gloved hand gets dragged down into a jointer? I have and its not pretty.

The moral to this story is that a glove will suck your hand right in to the machine as opposed to getting a bad cut or a shaving taken off you.
I'll settle for rough hands - they match the rest of me. :D
kind regards
Termite

ernknot
16th August 2004, 03:28 PM
LineLefty,
I stand corrected. Glad to hear this stuff is that good.
ernknot.

kiwigeo
16th August 2004, 03:43 PM
WARNING WARNING WARNING.
Machinery and gloves are a big NO NO!
Imagine this:-
1. feeding timber into a thicknesser and glove gets caught on splinter = ouch!
2. you feeding big ugly toothed resaw bandsaw and friend/wife is tailing out - glove caught - Same result.
3. ever seen what happens when a gloved hand gets dragged down into a jointer? I have and its not pretty.

The moral to this story is that a glove will suck your hand right in to the machine as opposed to getting a bad cut or a shaving taken off you.
I'll settle for rough hands - they match the rest of me. :D
kind regards
Termite
Sounds like a good reason to use push sticks esp for the jointer and thicknesser.

Working out on an oil rig right now and the issue of gloves versus no gloves often comes up. The general consensus is gloves do reduce the incidence of hand injuries, especially crush and pinch type injuries which are by far the most common sort of hand injuries we have out here.

Zed
16th August 2004, 03:48 PM
if your riggers gloves get wet the dye will make your hands a nice yellow colour.

kiwigeo
16th August 2004, 03:55 PM
if your riggers gloves get wet the dye will make your hands a nice yellow colour.
Thats actually intentional....its designed to give roughnecks hands that tough "I smoke 20 packets of camels a day" look without the obvious dangers of actually doing so.

It can also make you look like you have shocking aim every time you go to the toilet.

simon c
16th August 2004, 04:46 PM
LineLefty

While the main ingredient in super glue and liquid bandage are the same, it doesn't mean that they are the same product. Liquid banadage is medical grade superglue and is is sterile and uses different solvents to normal superglue. Some of the solvents in superglue can damage skin leaving scars and causing bad irritation. Note that superglue is not toxic and is not carcenogenic so the effects are mainly short-term. Medical grade superglue uses milder (and therfore more expensive) solvents.

Although we have all head about hospitals, paramedics, military doctors using superglue, it is normally the medical grade that they use.

For a small nick, most people agree that the normal superglue is OK (although they won't agree officially). Ensure that you just drop the glue onto your cut and don't touch it or use a scummy old tube as you will be glueing the dirt into the cut.
For large or deep cuts or grazes then the effects of damaging the tissues or getting an infection are probably worse than the advantages it has.

Simon

seriph1
16th August 2004, 05:30 PM
http://www.fensende.com/Users/swnymph/refs/glue.html

Used extensively in the Vietnam War

Christopha
16th August 2004, 05:40 PM
Poisonally, if'n ah gits a pain on me pinkies I just runs 'em thru me hair till the pane passes....... anywun who does anyfink else is a POOF!

bitingmidge
16th August 2004, 06:12 PM
Poisonally, if'n ah gits a pain on me pinkies I just runs 'em thru me hair till the pane passes....... anywun who does anyfink else is a POOF!

Cute, cuddly and bald........

Isn't there anyone out there we can trust?

:confused: :confused: :confused:
P

ozwinner
16th August 2004, 06:15 PM
Chris, I just think they are a bunch of poofs. :eek:
Poorly pingers indeed?????????

Al

bitingmidge
16th August 2004, 06:19 PM
Well, you go away for the weekend and look what happens. :rolleyes:

I was thinking the same thing, sweetie!

WOOHOOOOO

EVERYONE'S OUT !!!!

BTW, some of that aloe vera stuff they were talking about is really good on the razor rash on your shins as well!

P
:p :p :p

bitingmidge
16th August 2004, 06:22 PM
Chris, I just think they are a bunch of poofs. :eek:
Poorly pingers indeed?????????

Reminds me of my Fairy Godfather... he appeared with a flash of light, then disappeared with a Poof!!!

P

ernknot
16th August 2004, 06:48 PM
Reminds me of my Fairy Godfather... he appeared with a flash of light, then disappeared with a Poof!!!

P
That's what everyboby should do on this thread - dissapear! I'm getting out of here, the gayity is too much.

ozwinner
16th August 2004, 06:52 PM
Yohoo Mr ernknot Are you free???????????
Yes Mr ozwinner I am free!! :p

Al

ernknot
16th August 2004, 06:57 PM
Yohoo Mr ernknotAre you free???????????
Yes Mr ozwinner I am free!! :p

AlI said I'm getting out of here, are you deaf?......... Speak up I'cant see you!

bitingmidge
16th August 2004, 07:34 PM
That's what everyboby should do on this thread - dissapear! I'm getting out of here, the gayity is too much.

ernknot,
I think it's really a cry for help!!

For the rest of you:

While I may not sound like it, my hands are among the prettiest on this forum.... except for a couple of dozen "interesting" scars, stitchmarks and accidental tattoos from drafting pens (ouch!) they would do a passable double for BitingMadge the dishwashing detergent shiela's pinkies.

For what it's worth... I hate the girly softening up after stuff and don't use it. I do use barrier cream before playing with chemicals or nasty oily stuff or rough sawn timber, a habit I learned from my youth spent feeding newspapers into a rolling machine, and a little later when staining picture frame moulding for a living.

I use "condom" rubber gloves as well when handling epoxy, solvents and stains.

I use riggers gloves when chucking around big bits of splintery timber, or handling hot stuff.

I wear cycling gloves when cycling (having lost quite a lot of one of my palms in an accident when I thought they were for girls).

I wear sailing gloves when sailing (and smugly took the bloke who called me a shiela to hospital when an out of control spinnaker sheet burnt the front off two of his fingers).

There are other applications where I know I should use "washing up" gloves, but don't.... and one day I might.

As far as the toughen up cries go...in an environment where handling stuff that requires hand washing many times a day (like in a drawing office for instance) ...tough hands don't last long at all. And if you really want to work on something finer I'll back my girly hands anyday over your knobbly plates.

I like my fingers to be able to feel how smooth things are, to feel the strings on a fretboard, and the vibration of a soundboard. I guess you macho types get the same kicks feeling deisel exhaust mufflers?

Cheers,

P :D :D :D

kiwigeo
16th August 2004, 07:36 PM
That's what everyboby should do on this thread - dissapear! I'm getting out of here, the gayity is too much.Um....isnt that what they call "Gay Abandon"

ozwinner
16th August 2004, 07:39 PM
Gees Midge.......
I thought yous was tough, now Im no too sure............................:D
Girly hands. :eek:

I dont need to sand anything below 60 grit, I just uses me mitts.

Al

bitingmidge
16th August 2004, 07:44 PM
I dont need to sand anything below 60 grit, I just uses me mitts.

Yeah, and two weeks into the new business, who'll come running back to this board asking why the numbers on the cash register have worn off so soon??

Kerching, Kerching
:D :D :D

P

Rocker
16th August 2004, 08:10 PM
Well, I am happy so long as I still have two hands after a day's woodworking.

Rocker

outback
16th August 2004, 08:17 PM
Real men don't feel diesel exhausts, they suck 'em :D

The only gloves I wear are big leather ones when I ride the bike on frrrrreaking frrrrosty mmmmornings. BBBBRRRRRR.

Which reminds me of a joke.( I'll place it in the appropriate forum)

jow104
16th August 2004, 08:25 PM
To avoid hand problems only use softwood :rolleyes:

silentC
17th August 2004, 10:08 AM
Midge, I bet you've got boney girl's arms too. :D

bitingmidge
17th August 2004, 11:08 AM
Midge, I bet you've got boney girl's arms too. :D

Well I do have a wife, so have no need to lift anything heavy.

:D :D :D
P

oges
17th August 2004, 12:57 PM
Do the dishes more often and make sure you use the Palmolive :p