PDA

View Full Version : What do the electronic chiming movements sound like?

I_wanna_Shed
15th November 2009, 10:17 PM
Hello.

My dad has said that mum is after a pendulum clock to go on the wall. Something along the lines of the schoolhouse or railway clocks.

I haven't started to look for plans yet. I've seen a few sellers have the pendulum kit, that comes with an electronic speaker to make the chime noise. My question is (and hopefully someone can answer it!) what do these sound like? Do they sound nearly authentic, or cheap? One of these (http://www.letsmaketime.com.au/cat/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=27362&product_id=1465605) is what I'm referring to.

As an alternative, I see the sponsor of this section has this (http://www.letsmaketime.com.au/cat/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=22201&product_id=1465604). Is anyone able to say what this sounds like? Although, it doesn't look like this has a night time silencer, which I think would suit dad, if not mum!

Thanks for your help!

Nathan.

fxst
15th November 2009, 11:31 PM
not too bad a sound but thats electronics for ya.:D
I use these types of movements and find them to be ok but purists may differ.
if you are going to use quality timber and fitments then really a good movement is the way to go
Pete

Pete L
17th November 2009, 08:56 PM
Hi Nathan
I reluctantly used one of these electronic chiming pendulum movements in a school clock where I could not purchase a mechanical movement with the correct pendulum length to view through the window. I was given an old clock case only and asked what I could do. Because the pendulum is for show only it can be cut to any length, so it was an easy solution.

The sound is not to bad. Not as crisp as a proper movement but most people would accept it. The real downside is that the sound is quiet and does not resonate through the case because the case it not acting like a soundboard. Ideally you may have to make an aperture somewhere, cover with linen or something to keep dust and bugs out, mount the speaker over the hole and let the sound out of the case.

As fxst says, a mechanical movement is a lot more expensive but is a lot nicer. My advice is to find a plan first and then look for the dial etc to suit the plan and then before you buy any of this see what movement you can obtain to suit that case.
Peter

I_wanna_Shed
17th November 2009, 09:47 PM
Thanks guys,

I'd like to have this done by Christmas, but don't know of any clock shops in Sydney where I could go to check these out.

I'd like a mechanical movement, but know zip about them. I'll see if Jonathon Knowles is at the Hand On Expo in Sydney in March. I could wait till then if it means I will buy whats right.

Thanks again.

Nathan.

Chipman
17th November 2009, 10:20 PM
You are right about the resonating....

I like the HERMLE electronic chimes best. The best results I ever had was when I mounted the speaker on a 6 mm ply board that formed the back of the clock. (a chiming mantel clock) I must have stumbled on just the right configuration as it sounded really good. It might not work with a wall hanging clock though.

I am actually building a new design of mine at the moment and I want to try mounting the speaker in the side of the clock at the top under the gable roof (wish I had a picture!!!) I will make a simple mock up first and if that does not work I will have to mount it in the door at the back of the clock (I have done that before but in a much smaller clock but IMO the resulting sound was not as good)

Have fun,

Chipman

Chipman
17th November 2009, 10:33 PM
I have sat all the parts together (still some more to go yet) Nothing glued and took a picture. You can see the port hole for the sound at the top (will have black cloth at the back).

Hope this helps my explanation above

Chipman

Swifty
19th November 2009, 12:16 AM
Hi Wanna_shed,

They sound like crap :no:. The cheapest Hermle gong chime for a railway clock will set you back about $350, but you will get a reasonable sound. Good wood deserves a good movement - don't put plastic in nice timber.

Just IMHO :).