PDA

View Full Version : This weekend

Woodlee
15th November 2009, 10:43 PM
After buying the book Workshop Projects by Harold Hall from the Workshop Practice series I decided I need some extra double swivel joints for my dial indicator bracket on the mill , as shown in one chapter of Mr Halls book.
There is a whole chapter with drawings of a number of ingenious devices that can be used on the lathe and the mill.

So I got to work with some square bar and made two.
While they are small , 14mm square and only 25mm long ,they actually took longer than I thought.

When it came time to cut the slits in them I realised that I couldn't hold them in the milling vice as there would not have been enough material to grab onto and give clearance for the slitting saw .(next time I will do all of the machining before cutting them to length )

I had to make a holding block to secure them for slitting .
Having a poke around in the shed I found the old apprentices' block ,the block I had to learn to file on .( I knew it would come in handy one day )

So I modified it by milling a 14mm slot 3mm deep to take the little blocks and then drilled and tapped some 6mm holes each side of the slot. Then I made a bar clamp the hold down the blocks with two 6mm socket cap screws .
Worked a treat.

The ball handles are made from stainless steel .The balls were hand turned using the top and cross slide and finished with a file and then polished with varying grades of emery .
The head of the screw has an 11 deg taper , and the hole in the block has a 10deg taper so the screw locks in and doesn't turn when tightening.
I machined up a tool from sliver steel and hardened it to cut the taper in the hole.
I tried them out after and they work very well .
I'll be making more of these and some other bits from the book.

Pic 1 , finished swivels
Pic 2 individual parts
Pic 3 set up for slitting on the mill.

Kev

neksmerj
16th November 2009, 10:32 PM
Woodlee,

Let me the first to congratulate you on your fine machining skills. Although not complex, making as you have, involves many operations, well done.

Ken

Woodlee
16th November 2009, 11:44 PM
Thanks for the compliment Ken .
I've been out of my trade for some time and am getting back into it as a hobby ( weird I know) .
But as they say it's like riding a bike ,you never really forget ,just the memory gets a bit dull.

Kev.

jmk89
17th November 2009, 06:15 AM
Very nice work, Kev. Have a greenie.
I find Harold Hall's books very helpful.

artme
17th November 2009, 09:56 AM
Nice work Woodlee.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

I'm not a metalworker but have 2 brothers who are. One of my aims is to acquire a small lathe and then learn how to use it.