PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else sharpen saws themselves

glenn k
15th August 2004, 05:17 PM
I was just wondering if other people sharpen their own tungsten tipped blades. Many years ago I bought a Lucus Mill they supplied an Italian 12v chainsaw sharpener with a 100mm diameter diamond sharpening disk. They put this on a bracket to sharpen blades on the mill (a very cleaver idea) it’s easier to sharpen a blade than to change it.

Well I bought a 60 tooth blade to go on a demo saw (I know they spin TOO fast but it works fine) for cutting tree roots. This dulled the blade very quickly I sharpened it with a diamond hand stone. It worked but was too much work. So I decided to make a sharpening gig based on the Lucus set up. Well I turned the blade holder to take all size blades I had, then a few months latter welded up the gig.
In minutes I can sharpen any blade I have, the ones with lots of teeth do take a little longer.
Recently I bought teeth from Lucus and was pleasently surprised how easy it was to change teeth. A blade costs only ~$9 to retooth rather than ~$60 to send away. It takes minutes instead of days aswell.

duckman
15th August 2004, 05:26 PM
I used to sharpen my saw blades when I was framing full-time and a lot more OBHW was used than is the case nowadays, but just had a silicon carbide stone (green one) on my bench grinder. It was rought and ready but good enough for my purposes.

I am however very interested in a more accurate way of sharpening now that I'm more into woodwork than carpentry.

Any chance of some pictures of your setup?

Hooroo..

Mark.

glenn k
15th August 2004, 05:35 PM
I can do that but it looks a bit rough, but I will have to wait untill my mill gets back maybe next week. I tried a bench grinder on my 60 tooth but the teeth were too close together.

duckman
15th August 2004, 05:49 PM
I can do that but it looks a bit rough, but I will have to wait untill my mill gets back maybe next week. I tried a bench grinder on my 60 tooth but the teeth were too close together.

Hi glenn,

I encountered the same problem (bench grinder) with a couple of blades. As far as the appearance of your jig goes, don't pretty it up on my account. :)

How it works is what I'm interested in.:)

Looking forward to some pics. when you're able.

Hooroo..

Mark.