PDA

View Full Version : Dial Indicator

Bidgee
18th November 2009, 09:14 AM
I'm looking for a new dial indicator for the home workshop. What sort of money do I need to spend to get an accurate and reliable tool? Are the $50 economy ones at H&F ok or should I spend a bit more?

Thanks

Scott

pipeclay
18th November 2009, 09:50 AM
Depending on the type of work you want to do with it,it should be fine.
If you were useing it to align shafts or gearboxes,would probably go for a better quality indicator and base,(one of the name brands).

Big Shed
18th November 2009, 10:17 AM
When I started with metal work I bought a metric and an Imperial dial indicator from one of those tool sellers at a field day for $25 each. So far I have not had reason to replace either with a better one as they do the job I expect from them.

I have since also bought a digital indicator and now use that extensively, that one cost me $50 at the last Model Engineering exhibition in Bendigo, that has been one of the best additions to my measuring tools.

Bidgee
18th November 2009, 11:53 AM
(one of the name brands).

Can you recommend some please?

pipeclay
18th November 2009, 01:32 PM
Indicators that I have got and use for critical items are Starrett,Mitutoyo I have also used Moore & Wright,I find that for most things I can get buy with using the Cheaper Dials.
The only problem that I have noticed mainly with the Cheaper ones is they over time have a tendency to stick,the bezels can at times become hard to turn without interfeering with the setup.
The points on some of the cheaper ones can also loosen themselves.
If it is something that I am doing that requires good accuracy I use my better indicators,but for day to day use I use the cheaper ones.
There are numerous other quality manufactures,I am probably wrong in saying this but I feel with indicators the name says it all.

bollie7
19th November 2009, 11:03 AM
Can you recommend some please?
As well as the brands Pipeclay has already mentioned, Mercer is another good one.

bollie7

Greg Q
23rd November 2009, 12:10 PM
You might want to check this website for some opinions on indicators. Long Island Indicator has been in business for 40+ years selling and repairing precision instruments. 027 : Long Island Indicator Service (http://longislandindicator.com/)

Based on their reviews I haunted ebay until I could find cheap Mahr, Tesa and Interapid indicators. They are European and are delightful. They normally cost silly money, but sometimes you just luck out and get one for cheap.

I did have a "Mitutoy" indicator (Note the spelling-it's a Chinese counterfeit)
someone gave me as a joke. Counterfeit Mitutoyo tools are rife on the internet, so too lately are counterfeit Interapids.

The Mitutoy got punted into the bin-didn't even want it around as a curiosity.