PDA

View Full Version : Do you listen to the radio at work

Grumpy John
18th November 2009, 07:23 PM
Whinge alert!!!!!

:ranton:
For the past 3 weeks I've been helping a mate out in his small engineering shop and he has the radio on during the day. I haven't listened to commercial radio for at least 5 years now, I just load up my 6 stack CD player and listen to what I like without ads, in the shed I have a 30gig MP3 player loaded to the hilt and it's set to random. After listening to the crap that's on commercial radio these days I'll be glad when this job's finished. The day starts off with MIX 101, my god I want to choke the living S#!* out of Brigitte Duclos, what an absolute moron that woman is. Then the radio is tuned to MMM105.1, wall to wall commercials interspersed with barely listenable to music. The afternoon is not too bad with Gold 104.3, at least I know the songs, I don't like them all, but at least I know them and there aren't as many commercials.

Are there any radio stations out there that play the likes of Keb Mo, Eric Bibb, Buddy Guy, Sonny Landreth, John Hiatt, John Gorka, David Gogo, Van Morrison, Jeff Lang, Ash Grunwald, Xavier Rudd et al, you know people with talent?
:rantoff:
I feel better now :).

Big Shed
18th November 2009, 07:31 PM
Depends how you define "at work"

As I am retired, I spend my time in the shed, radio is either on ABC Classic FM, particularly when Margaret Throsby is on. When they play some stuff I don't like I have a 5CD player and listen to my own music, mainly classical on that.

As I live on 25 acres I can turn up the volume, yeehaa!

Ironwood
18th November 2009, 07:47 PM
When I listen to the radio it's almost always "Triple J", I cant stomach the ads on commercial radio- mind numbing to say the least.

I dont like all the music they play, but a lot of it is pretty good, you get used to it anyway.
In my shed I play my MP3's , mostly Blues.

Grumpy John
18th November 2009, 07:55 PM

In my shed I play my MP3's , mostly Blues.

That's what I like listening to also, my tastes are pretty eclectic really, but I always seem to prefer blues or blues based rock.

Sir Stinkalot
18th November 2009, 07:57 PM
Yep .... we have the radio going all day. After being fed up with the repetition of commercial radio (and the crap music) I convinced the other to try Triple R ..... it was a little alternative community for them so we settled on Triple J ..... all was going well until I was away last week and they put it back onto Fox FM ..... If I have to listen to Pink sing about her fun house one more time (currently on high rotation of 3 times a day) I am going to bury a T-square somewhere.

Now I listen to podcasts of Triple R or BBC stations .... or the 80gb of MP3.

funkychicken
18th November 2009, 09:34 PM
If I have to listen to Pink sing about her fun house one more time (currently on high rotation of 3 times a day) I am going to bury a T-square somewhere.

Same feeling here, "Someone" at work feels the need to share his music choice with everyone on the complex. In addition to the nauseatingly bad music and mind numbing ads, he has it loud enough to hear over the bench saw :((.
I now have music on my phone so I can listen to what I want without bothering the others

I used to change the radio to Classic Fm, just to be mean:p

Grumpy John
18th November 2009, 10:51 PM
For me it's not so much the music per se (we all have different taste in music), but the lack of variety within certain artists. I can only speak of the bands/artists I am familiar with, but take Led Zeppelin for instance, the only Zep songs you ever hear on the radio are Black Dog, Rock 'n' Roll, Stairway To heaven and very occasionally Whole Lotta Love. Led Zeppelin released 9 studio albums and 3 live albums (two double albums and 1 triple album) surely the programmers could find some more tunes to play, AC/DC have released 16 studio albums but you'd be lucky if you could name 5 different AccaDacca songs that get airplay. But the most annoying thing for me is the inane chatter of the announcers. They seem to have forgotten that it is their job to play music and not to crap on about such stupid things as to whether night is better than day (this mornings riveting debate featuring the braindead Brigette Duclos and Tom Gleisner on MIX 101). I'm going to take a Bex and lie down for a while.

JJJ and RRR are only marginally better than the commercial stations they too have their fair share of prattling announcers, but at least they have a greater variety and less repetition.

"I'm sick to death of people saying we've made 11 albums that sound exactly the same, In fact, we've made 12 albums that sound exactly the same"
Angus Young

issatree
18th November 2009, 11:56 PM
Hi All,
Yes, well all different ages listen to all different music or talk back.
Me, I like Ross & John, 3AW, Hope to be in the garage, then listen to John Faine, ABC.
12 midday, for me the movie on Ch.7, Dennis Walter till 4pm, on AW, & yeah Derrin is not all that bad.
I bought a R/CD Player from the Market, Did not play CD's from Day 1. B*&^%$#@D.
I will have to bite the bullet & get another one, But I have a 6 Stacker in "The Van".
Love my Music.
Carpenters, Don McLean, Linda Ronstadt, Dean Martin, Bing, Kenny, Neil Diamond, The 3 Hooked on Classic's, Dionne Warrick, Burt Bacharah, Acker Bilk, Henry Mancini, Dennis Walter, Willy Nelson, Juilio Inglaseos?, Harry Belafonte, Paul Muriat, Johnny Cash, The Eagles, & the 2 who are coming to OZ in March. Slipped my mind,
& the list goes.
So that tells you I'm a little bit older than some of you & your Tastes, but that is what makes the World Go Round.
Regards,
issatree.

nihilism
19th November 2009, 01:51 AM
Most of the time i would rather not listen to the radio at work because of all the commercials, idiot presenters (or whatever they call themselfs these days) and constant repetition of songs i can't stand. However spending most of my time on building sites i often do not have a choice.

What really gives me the ##### is the drop kicks that show up and set up their radio right near where i'm working and turn it up so loud that it can be heard on the other side of the site just because that was the only place they could find power. What they don't realise is come the end of the job i'm usually one of the only ones with keys to everywhere which gives me the ability to "acciddentlly" lock them out or in. :p

Andy Mac
19th November 2009, 09:31 AM
I prefer much prefer JJJ to the commercial stations, but I still find myself swapping between presets, especially when driving. JJJ have fallen into the trap of talk back radio or whatever its called now (with texting included) just like the other painful stations. I don't give a toss what other listeners think about... anything really...belly button fluff, or such-and-such's new haircut/boyfriend/drug addiction... JUST PLAY SOME F.N MUSIC!!!!
I guess I continue to listen to JJJ because I actually want to hear new stuff, not the same old playlist, the same old stuff I listened to back in the 80's. Time moves on, and music develops...
I do play CD's in preference in the workshop, but its not a format that appreciates dust, and I haven't advanced yet to Ipod:-. MP3 player yes, but they don't seem that compatible as an input source. I find have to turn up the volume on the actual player so much to be audible, the battery flattens quickly!?
What amuses me- well mostly:rolleyes:- about the radio at work, is I have it set to JJJ, then the young students come along and retune it to nasty commercial garbage behind my back! I can understand my 12 and 13yr old girls doing that, but 18-20yr olds???

Cheers,

Waldo
19th November 2009, 09:40 AM
It's just me in my office here in the shed, so occasionally I will listen to a live feed off the net of either FM104 or B105 in Brisbane, other days it's just me and work, other times I'll open up iTunes and hit random or I will just have a day of continuous Pink Floyd. :2tsup:

The volume gets turned up anywhere from 1–10.

Old-Biker-UK
19th November 2009, 09:57 AM
Ah the joys of aunty BBC, 4 advert free stations (in this digital age there are probably more but I can't get them on my old 'wireless').
If there is nothing there I fancy, it's an ipod plugged into a couple of PC speakers playing my own choices - everything from Albion Band thro Márta Sebestyén to Van Morrison.
Mark

Ironwood
19th November 2009, 03:20 PM
For me it's not so much the music per se (we all have different taste in music), but the lack of variety within certain artists. I can only speak of the bands/artists I am familiar with, but take Led Zeppelin for instance, the only Zep songs you ever hear on the radio are Black Dog, Rock 'n' Roll, Stairway To heaven and very occasionally Whole Lotta Love. Led Zeppelin released 9 studio albums and 3 live albums (two double albums and 1 triple album) surely the programmers could find some more tunes to play, AC/DC have released 16 studio albums but you'd be lucky if you could name 5 different AccaDacca songs that get airplay. But the most annoying thing for me is the inane chatter of the announcers. They seem to have forgotten that it is their job to play music and not to crap on about such stupid things as to whether night is better than day (this mornings riveting debate featuring the braindead Brigette Duclos and Tom Gleisner on MIX 101). I'm going to take a Bex and lie down for a while.

And according to every single radio station I know, Lynyrd Skynyrd only sang one song, "Sweet Home Alabama".

Must have been some impersonators who put out the 12 albums of other songs.

Grumpy John
19th November 2009, 07:14 PM
And ZZ Top only recorded one song - La Grange, despite releasing 14 albums :oo:.

Ironwood
20th November 2009, 07:06 PM
Forgot to mention, while I am around the house I listen to the blues channel (R17) on Austar, got it hooked up to my stereo. Non stop music, no ads, no talking just solid blues music 24 hrs a day. Wish I could get that on my car radio.

Geoff Dean
20th November 2009, 07:33 PM
Ted Nugent has done 39 Albums, 5 of them double albums, and I've never heard one of his songs on radio yet. :((

Grumpy John
20th November 2009, 09:34 PM
Ted Nugent has done 39 Albums, 5 of them double albums, and I've never heard one of his songs on radio yet. :((

Pi55es you off doesn't it, all that great music out there and they keep playing the same stuff over and over.

brisbanefitter
21st November 2009, 12:07 AM
ever tried a large factory with about 10radios going, full volume, with up to four different stations going at once, that is weird.
we had a lot of continos noise around us, but in the few moments a day where the noise would simultaneously stop ( smoko, lunch, and up to 6-8 times a day in between) it becomes a real mix of oddness, kinda like foreign a language where you can understand just a few of the words with all the different stations going at once.

artme
22nd November 2009, 07:57 AM
I'm always staggered by the wide range of tastes in music people on this form have.

Some of the artists mentioned i know not, but then I guess the same applies to any list I might like to post.

One thing is clear, Nobody likes KRAP.:no::no::no:

Harry72
22nd November 2009, 09:13 AM
No you need a pretty loud radio at my workplace.

In my shed its mostly heavy rock/metal to instrumental guitar... and the odd pop/alt long as its well written.
Radio is jjj(Dr Karl is cool!) or a local 'volunteer DJ' station

DTK-LAMF
24th November 2009, 07:22 AM
ipods killed the radio in the workplace.
everyone upstairs in the office has their own music at their desk and we down in the warehouse have my ipod running through the PA system

artme
27th November 2009, 01:53 AM
Forgot to mention, while I am around the house I listen to the blues channel (R17) on Austar, got it hooked up to my stereo. Non stop music, no ads, no talking just solid blues music 24 hrs a day. Wish I could get that on my car radio.

Pretty close to paradise by the sound of things.:):):)

artme
27th November 2009, 02:01 AM
A few years back there was a great program I listened to on radio in Bris.Only in my old Volvo SW. I have no idea of what the name of the program was or what wavlength it was on. Was on at about 3:00, host was American.

One afternoon he played a great version of "Voodoo".

Wonder if anyone would know of the song and if so provide me with some info. I'd love to have a copy.

Ironwood
27th November 2009, 03:00 PM
Did it sound like this Artme

YouTube- Broadcast Yourself.

Or SRV's excellent version

YouTube- Broadcast Yourself.

artme
2nd December 2009, 02:32 AM
No Ironwood but hey are two great clips.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

The song I refer to is simply called "Voodoo".Avery short song actually.

Funny , just a fleeting thing that really grabbed me.