PDA

View Full Version : Ceiling Rose

Iain
16th August 2004, 11:56 AM
The never ending story, this time SWMBO has just swanned in with two ceiling roses, my job is to put them up and I haven't got a clue.
Help, I believe that cornice adhesive is used but given the size of these brutes I am not one to place great faith in adhesives.
Is this stuff OK or do I need something with a bit more bite?

nt900
16th August 2004, 12:52 PM
Not that I have done it myself, but I have watched plasterers put them up by applying adhesive to the back, then tek screwing them to the ceiling until the adhesive sticks. Then patch up the small screw holes.

maglite
16th August 2004, 03:00 PM
Hi,

My father in law works for a plaster company that makes the roses ect. He reckons the safest and most reliable way in to cut a hole in the ceiling and strap the rose over a joist, then braced flush with the ceiling.
Apparently the straps are fibreglass and soaked in plaster, adhesive is applied to the base of the rose and it is all braced to the ceiling and allowed to set.
It all sounds good in theory, but so does communism.

Probably the safest bet would be to have a chat with any mob over there that makes the plaster products.

Cheers
Steve

MarkV
18th August 2004, 02:41 AM
Scuff up the plaster for grip, butter with cornice cement wack in a few gyprock screws to hold it up and patch over the top of the screws later. Bob's your Uncle:D

Iain
18th August 2004, 09:30 AM
I don't have an uncle Bob, will it still work :D
Thanks for the responses, I now have some idea of what to do this coming weekend (go fishing?)

MarkV
19th August 2004, 12:45 AM
Everyone's got an Uncle Bob:D . But seriously the technique I outlined is basically a layman's version of info from the Boral website.

Iain
19th August 2004, 09:32 AM
Mark, it was a joke and I intend following that path or see if I can find some timbers to attach to behind the plaster with my stud finder.
Come on girls, here's an opportunity :p
And I only have an Uncle Robert who hates being called Bob ;)

ozwinner
19th August 2004, 08:09 PM
Nail gun!!

Just shoot as many freakn nails as you can into it, its gota hold. :D

Al

outback
19th August 2004, 08:13 PM
Good thinkin Al, then instead of a ceiling rose you'd have a rose fer the end of ya watrin' can. :D