PDA

View Full Version : Dubai turners?

Swifty
18th November 2009, 11:55 PM
Hi all,

Does anyone know if there is a turning club in Dubai? I may be looking at a long term posting there, and it would be nice to know if I could contact any woodturning club that's there. Can I buy stuff (lathe, grinders, bandsaw, tools) in Dubai or best if I ship them across in a container? ....not much wood there I imagine, might need to ship blanks in as well...:whatonearth:

Cheers
Swifty

wheelinround
19th November 2009, 09:15 AM
Better take some wood to or you'll be turning sand just do a google images and you'll see sand for miles with not many tree's.
I do believe the waste bins have lots of off cuts from some exotic imported timbers

Malcolm Eaton
19th November 2009, 10:41 AM
Hi all,

Does anyone know if there is a turning club in Dubai? I may be looking at a long term posting there, and it would be nice to know if I could contact any woodturning club that's there. Can I buy stuff (lathe, grinders, bandsaw, tools) in Dubai or best if I ship them across in a container? ....not much wood there I imagine, might need to ship blanks in as well...:whatonearth:

Cheers
Swifty

There is a extensive timber industry in Dubai particular related to the building of Arab Dhows. Timber ( Teak etc)is imported in from Indonesia, India and south east Asia in the construction of these boats. In most cases the timber is bought in large flitches and milled there.
Perhaps you should contact my Son In Law, he may be able to advise you, he works in the construction industry over there.
Mac