PDA

View Full Version : Mysteries in sport

Wongo
16th August 2004, 12:45 PM
I know a lot about sport but there are things that I still don’t quite understand. For example

1. In soccer why do they have to take their shirt off after scoring a goal :confused:
2. In tennis the score goes 15, 30, 40 and game :confused: :confused:
3. In athletics why do 100m and 200m sprinters wear watches :confused: :confused:
4. Equestrian and sport :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
5. You are allowed to run a half marathon but you cannot do a half high jump or half triple-jump :confused:
6. In AFL 6 points for a goal and only 1 for a behind :confused: :confused: :confused:

Any thoughts?

silentC
16th August 2004, 12:58 PM
1. In school we used to play soccer and one team would take off their shirts so that you would know who was on what team. Some sneaky buggers on the shirts-off team used to put their shirt back on so they could surprise the shirts-on team by sneaking up on the goal. They would then pull their shirt over their head and run around to show that they were really on the shirts-off team. The tradition stuck.

2. Because it was invented by the French.

3. So they know what the time is.

4. Beats me as well. Even the commentators admit it is dull to watch.

5. If you did a half high jump you would bang your head on the cross bar. You would need 1 and a half legs to do a half triple jump.

6. This is because AFL players are poor kickers and if they didn't give them something for missing the goal, they'd all cry and go home to their mummies.

Hope this helps.

simon c
16th August 2004, 02:49 PM
The tennis scores are based on the clock - not sure why the 45 mins changed to 40 though.

Also, the reason that 0 is called love is that it sounds like "oeuf" which is french for egg which looks like a 0

Simon

adrian
13th October 2004, 10:02 PM
7. In a rugby league play the ball you have to obey the rule that says you must play the ball with your foot, unless of course you don't want to. Then you have to at least make it look as if you made an attempt to play the ball with your foot.
8. In breast stroke the hands go nowhere near the breast. :rolleyes:
9. You are not allowed to play baseball in the US unless you can learn to spit.
10. World Series??????????

barryr
14th October 2004, 11:40 AM
1) they dont anymore (you get sent off)

the rest , who knows .

As for rugby , I heard it appropriately described the other week as
"four men trying to push three men up two mens bums !

if you don't understand sport then contemplate that one for a bit - the mental picture is hard not to laugh at .

johnmc
14th October 2004, 12:03 PM
1. Sometimes to make a statement (political, personal, profitable). There have been instances of players wearing singlets under their jersey with sponsor logos, political statements, etc. A few years back, Ian Wright (a striker with Arsenal) was approaching a significant milestone in goals scored (can't remember the exact number of goals). In the game in which he scored the goal which passed the milestone, he took his shirt off to reveal to the crowd and the television audience his great achievement.

2. Also, duece is derived from the French word "deux" to indicate an advantage of two points.

3. Purely for sponsorship - the 100m and 200m are high profile races with lots of prestige attached. Watch companies pay the athletes to be seen wearing their watches.

LineLefty
14th October 2004, 01:43 PM
The biggest mystery for me is when Western Australians say they dont understand rugby league. Run forwards throw backwards, put the ball over the line........or stop them doing it. Thats it!

Also, why do the grid iron players need all that padding?

HappyHammer
14th October 2004, 02:12 PM
11. Why are american commentators allowed to invent words like "winningest" ??

silentC
14th October 2004, 02:23 PM
12. Why are american commentators allowed?

Termite
14th October 2004, 02:27 PM

The game is American football, the field it is played on is called a gridiron.

HappyHammer
14th October 2004, 02:27 PM
13. Why are americans allowed?
14. How did the Irish midget Tommy Smith (or whatever his name is) ever get a job as an ESPN soccer commentator, he has an annoying voice and knows SFA about soccer.
15. Why isn't Darts an olympic sport:D

silentC
14th October 2004, 02:31 PM
15 - because it would give the 'Old Dart' too good a chance of 'medalling' and we can't have that ;) :D:D

HappyHammer
14th October 2004, 02:40 PM
16. Is snooker a sport or a game like Poker?
17. Why is table tennis so popular in China?
18. Why can't England win the world cup in soccer as well as Rugby?
19. Who can understand Kenny Dalglish?

bitingmidge
14th October 2004, 03:57 PM
20. Why is it called Motor Racing when they use a whole car?

HappyHammer
14th October 2004, 04:11 PM
21. Where did the word puc come from in Ice Hockey
22. What will we do when we runout of animals to name national sides after?

bitingmidge
14th October 2004, 04:43 PM
and of course animals aren't just used to name teams, they are an integral part of the various games,

In cricket there are ducks,
In golf birdies and eagles,
In bowls we have goldfish...

Cheers,

P

vsquizz
14th October 2004, 05:13 PM
and of course animals aren't just used to name teams, they are an integral part of the various games,

In cricket there are ducks,
In golf birdies and eagles,
In bowls we have goldfish...

Cheers, P
Midge, That was absolutley terrible, worse than my never saw the tenon joke.

HappyHammer
14th October 2004, 05:31 PM
foul in soccer

bitingmidge
14th October 2004, 05:40 PM
Midge, That was absolutley terrible, worse than my never saw the tenon joke.

We do our best... :o

P

LineLefty
14th October 2004, 05:47 PM
We've already run out of names, We just add "roos" to the end of anything.

Of course the Rugby league team wasnt smart enough to do that.

vsquizz
14th October 2004, 06:07 PM

Of course the Rugby league team wasnt smart enough to do that.
Yes but they can lift heavy things:D

HappyHammer
14th October 2004, 06:10 PM
Yes but they can lift heavy things:D
Their arses off of chairs....:D

Driver
14th October 2004, 06:14 PM

Except , of course, in the case of the Matildas. Why this name was chosen instead of the more obvious one: Sheilas Who Play Soccer, I can't imagine.

vsquizz
14th October 2004, 06:16 PM
Their arses off of chairs....:D
Well in Rugby Union Justin Harrision (who is a prop??) does push-ups with George Gregan on his back. But thats alright because George is only a half. All these years and he never grew up to be a 5/8. And how Jeremy Paul can be a Wallaby and a Hooker as well is beyond me???. I never saw no Wallabies hangin out in the Cross!

bitingmidge
14th October 2004, 07:23 PM
And how Jeremy Paul can be a Hooker

Is he a "Hoo-roo"??

P :D

HappyHammer
15th October 2004, 02:59 PM
No a Hooker-roo also found in the cross....

Iain
15th October 2004, 03:30 PM
One Love? Douch............sorry :o

adrian
21st October 2004, 10:47 AM

Have you ever seen the size of one of those mothers. I saw an NFL linebacker in full kit on the Footy Show standing next to Blocker Roach and Blocker looked like a child next to him. Imagine something like that hitting you at full speed.
I've been to a lot of gridiron games and believe me, it can be brutal and there are just as many injuries as League.