PDA

View Full Version : A demo (and other things)

jefferson
19th November 2009, 10:16 PM
We (Annie and I) had the pleasure of a visit from and Julie for almost a week.

It's a long story, so please give me a moment.....

When I was in "trouble", and Ken W. made a few changes to my life. Including an intro to the "locals". And now I am now a member of the Albury-Wodonga Club. Thanks. :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

I now feel at home. My VL100 plus a few chisels are on loan out to a "newbie" and I do feel good about it. Tormek sharp chisels I might add.

Back to the story.... Apparently, the locals wanted an expert up here.... And they got . :D:D:D A "production" / spindle turner, no less.

But I must pause a moment.

I've seen "show off" at our Victorian events , but this was something else.

in "work" mode is something different altogether. It was a hands-on for 20 turners, novice to "open". The highlights were many, but two spring to mind:

- showing what can be done with the skew, left and right handed

- his review of the work that Harry (bravely) put on the table on the Saturday evening. Feedback from a National Judge is inspiring.

And I was so proud and happy to be there.

did so very well. The Club invited him back for next year the first day..... :):)

A name-dropper I am. When someone was doing the "wrong" thing, I politely interupted and said: "Can I suggest......"

A long, hard, cold moment until I said:

"This is what (or Ken W.) have shown me".

Well, after that, all ears.

My only complaint (this has happened before) is that made a mess of my turning space. He likes big stuff, me small.

But geez, from a production spindle turner, he sure turns a nice platter or bowl..... And as lot of mess.

The pics of the bowl / platter do not do it justice. You need to feel it in your hands. Bird's eye redgum.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, had the vac out, cleaning up on Day 5 or 6.

My only insistence was that pupil cleans up after the Master.

I am still cleaning up. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

mick61
19th November 2009, 10:23 PM
G`day and he told me he is not that good at bowls and stuff.
Mick:D

P.S. Nice job

TTIT
19th November 2009, 11:33 PM
Lovely lookin' bit of Redgum - - - and big too :2tsup: I see the Rougher's sitting on the ways (or the handles look the same :shrug: ) - did use them :o or conventional tools???

artme
20th November 2009, 03:14 AM
Glad it was such agreat day for all>:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Love that there bowl>>.

Allen Neighbors
20th November 2009, 05:31 AM
Lucky Bloke...
Good lookin' timber for sure!!
Well done, !

Jim Carroll
20th November 2009, 08:26 AM
Well done jeff.

Progress slowly but surely.

Keep up the good work I am sure the club will value your input.

tea lady
20th November 2009, 08:48 AM
:2tsup: Nice wood. And mess. And bloke. And 's not bad either.:D:U

(I think I've talked Hubby and Small boy into coming up for your in between xmas and new year turnfest. :cool: Can't find the thread. Where's it gone? Might be time to stir up some more interrest. Tell 'em Tea lady's coming. :D)

RETIRED
20th November 2009, 09:14 AM
Lovely lookin' bit of Redgum - - - and big too :2tsup: I see the Rougher's sitting on the ways (or the handles look the same :shrug: ) - did use them :o or conventional tools???Yep. I started by using normal tools but as this was Eucalyptus Concretus (genus Ferritis) they were going blunt rapidly.:(

Jeff has the full set of the Ci range (no surprises there:D) so I thought I would give them a try.

After all, one does not get the chance very often to wear out someone elses stuff.:wink:

After using the Ci0 I am a convert and have ordered one myself. It removes a lot of material and leaves a good finish.

What more could one ask for?

I will still use my normal chisels on other wood but with the cranky grain of Red Gum other options are needed.

I am starting to agree with Ken W that it makes great firewood.:)

hughie
20th November 2009, 11:11 AM
Nice one! :2tsup:

Eucalyptus Concretus :U Know it well, i have several well aged and very dry burls waiting....

jefferson
20th November 2009, 12:48 PM
Well done jeff.

Progress slowly but surely.

Keep up the good work I am sure the club will value your input.

Jim - thanks so much. I hope you and Irene can pass by here after Xmas.

:2tsup: Nice wood. And mess. And bloke. And 's not bad either.:D:U

Not a bad bloke???? I have another opinion.... A very, very nice fellow. :2tsup:

(I think I've talked Hubby and Small boy into coming up for your in between xmas and new year turnfest. :cool: Can't find the thread. Where's it gone? Might be time to stir up some more interrest. Tell 'em Tea lady's coming. :D)

New thread up and running soon Tea Lady. I've got got some chores to do before then, including new flooring and kitchen. But I just can't keep off the damn lathe...... Mostly making (finally) shavings and enjoying it all. But I promise to have a new third bedroom ready for you. I hope.

Jeff has the full set of the Ci range (no surprises there:D) so I thought I would give them a try.

Wrong, , I don't have the full set. Two new ones out now, not even on the website. Needless to say, I've ordered both... :p

I am starting to agree with Ken W that it makes great firewood.:)

Me too, . Geez, the redgum dust is everywhere.

Now, I need a few lathes for Xmas. I only have one decent one. Well, the little VL100 is OK, but we need more. Perhaps a Stubby, Calm (so we can watch stall it?) Or that SB VL300 of yours, DJ? I will reluctantly let you put some dynabolts in the floor.

My heart is almost set on a 750 Stubby or a VL200 shortbed. But as has shown, there is not too much I can't do on the LB VL300. I'm just a tool slut..... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Now, any objections to me asking some of the locals (non-forumites) out over 2 days?

I hope not. But I will follow protocols..... :wink:

Ed Reiss
20th November 2009, 01:01 PM
good report Jeff....and , strange lookin' spindle your holding there :2tsup::D:D:D

RETIRED
20th November 2009, 01:17 PM
Ed;:p:wink:

tea lady
20th November 2009, 05:17 PM
New thread up and running soon Tea Lady. I've got got some chores to do before then, including new flooring and kitchen. But I just can't keep off the damn lathe...... Mostly making (finally) shavings and enjoying it all. But I promise to have a new third bedroom ready for you. I hope. Don't worry too much. We can even do the tent thing outside.:cool:

Now, any objections to me asking some of the locals (non-forumites) out over 2 days?

I hope not. But I will follow protocols..... :wink:I don't know about others, but I talk to anyone.:D

Re being just a "good bloke", I am also big on understatement. :U

dai sensei
20th November 2009, 07:33 PM
Great looking hunk of burl there :2tsup:

Great to here you like the Ci0. Every time I go to order one the Aus$ takes a dive. Sometime over Xmas hopefully I will order it.

RETIRED
20th November 2009, 08:06 PM
Not burl but birdseye. All the way through.

powderpost
20th November 2009, 09:09 PM
Good to hear you are making good progress Jeff. Nearly time to start laminating???? :)
Jim

Harry72
20th November 2009, 09:18 PM
Cant believe has trimmed that beard :p

jefferson
20th November 2009, 09:18 PM
Not burl but birdseye. All the way through.

Yes, Master. Birds-eye is was. Much better than burl. More coming your way soon.

You still owe me another lesson, though. :wink: Why is it that you spread chips and dust so far and wide? :rolleyes:

jefferson
20th November 2009, 09:31 PM
Good to hear you are making good progress Jeff. Nearly time to start laminating???? :)
Jim

Jim - progress is slow for learners. But I am enjoying the "turning journey".

No laminating just yet. The chisels are almost on friendly terms with me..... Basic cuts. One step at a time.

Laminated stuff in 2012, maybe. Thanks again for the captive ring tool from Proserpine. Much to learn.

I do so much enjoy watching good chisel work. (And one of the locals sure has the touch, same as you, Jim). Doug went well with the 2009 competition, so I don't have to stand shoulders with him next year.

tea lady
20th November 2009, 10:57 PM
You still owe me another lesson, though. :wink: Why is it that you spread chips and dust so far and wide? :rolleyes:Just don't come and mess up 's shed.. Its all nice and clean now.:cool: Walls are white and everything.:D AND the ceiling. :sweat:

Cliff Rogers
20th November 2009, 11:06 PM
Yes, Master. Birds-eye is was. Much better than burl. More coming your way soon. ....
I hope some makes it to Prossy next year for Cliff's eye. :D

jefferson
21st November 2009, 09:16 AM
I hope some makes it to Prossy next year for Cliff's eye. :D

I'll do my best. Cliff. Don't expect big pieces though!

Cliff Rogers
21st November 2009, 10:00 AM
That is OK, I dont' have a big eye.

jefferson
21st November 2009, 02:53 PM
That is OK, I dont' have a big eye.

That may be so, Cliff, but your eyes seem to attract redgum...... :D:D

Cliff Rogers
21st November 2009, 05:47 PM
Only when I'm not looking.

NeilS
22nd November 2009, 01:03 AM
After using the Ci0 I am a convert and have ordered one myself. It removes a lot of material and leaves a good finish.

First sharpening jigs, now "gimmick tools"..... :o

Could these unexpected changes be due to global warming?

Nice bit of firewood there, .

Calm
22nd November 2009, 11:04 AM

I'd be more inclinede to think - senility - alzhiemers - just general changes that occur with old age :p:p:p:D:D:D

Cheers

Frank&Earnest
22nd November 2009, 12:37 PM
Yep. That's why I play around with insert tools now. With senility approaching, in the near future I might want to change to inefficient 19th century tools. :p:p:p:D:D:D

RETIRED
23rd November 2009, 05:04 PM

.....Times change, work changes, tools change but the principles remain the same and for most jobs (real turning) I will still back my chisels, gouges and ageless techniques against "gimmick tools".

jefferson
23rd November 2009, 09:05 PM
I would not be so bold to say anything contrary to my No 1 Master. But...... :D:D

If he'd a a decent piece of wood (i.e. one not rock-hard, left out in the sun for decades etc), no doubt the traditional tools would have worked much better.

But this piece demanded a scraping approach. (I think?).

I've worked with bird's eye boards before on the planer-thicknesses and the secret is lots of water, sharp blades and very, very light cuts. And lots of sanding.

And was under some time constraints...... Read, heavy cuts and tear-out.

Now, if this piece had been treated well after it was slabbed and not left on the rubbish heap, it probably would have been a different story.

"Woodworkers", as distinct from turners, think differently about their offcuts. Go into any forest after a sleeper-cutter has been there and you will truly cry.

powderpost
23rd November 2009, 09:06 PM
Well said .... :2tsup:
Jim

NeilS
24th November 2009, 12:34 AM
... for most jobs (real turning) I will still back my chisels, gouges and ageless techniques against "gimmick tools".

Don't think anyone doubted that for a moment....:2tsup: