Reality check:
Back to the Northern Woodturners Club and see what we have
been doing. We miss your tuition in turning, tool sharpening,
supervision and friendly advice.

We are turning ... but into what?:2tsup:

Allan

jefferson
20th November 2009, 09:12 PM
Forget about the Weird and Wonderful for a while. He's busy, all of November and then some ...... He has some high maintenance friends as well.

WWW made a stiff rod for his own back after the 2009 Exhibition.

What will come after the Carriage? Plus the Stringrays and the platter?

All the best, Ken W. Something special please this time.

The bar is now high, so you've got some work to do.... We are all looking forward to seeing something better than what you did this year..... :D:D:D..... Now that will be something. You poor bugger.

And worse, poor Helen. She has to put up with him while he "cogitates" on his entries for 2010.

All the best, Ken. The clock is ticking.

I envisage you'll be at the drawing board late into the night - and the lathe - for some time. But please, make it special.

Post script: Wish Bev Wood a happy 70th birthday today. Bev is one of the few that keeps Ken in check - but remember, it comes back tenfold. Ummm....

I should say no more.

Allan at Wallan
25th November 2009, 10:56 PM
Found him :2tsup:

I went to our Northern Woodturners Club this morning to hear
the bad news re Ken.

In tending to some storm/rain damage on Saturday night he
slipped and fell from a roof at his property.

Result: Four damaged verterbrae and ended up in Royal
Melbourne Hospital. Apparently he was able to sit up this
morning but wearing a brace.

Our thoughts are with you Ken ... get well soon and hope there
is no long-lasting damage.

Will endeavour to keep everyone informed via this thread.

Allan

Ed Reiss
25th November 2009, 10:59 PM
Ken, wishing you a speedy recovery.

TTIT
25th November 2009, 11:28 PM
Clumsy bugga! :; Hope you heal quick Ken - you've got better things to do than lounge around in bloody hospital :U

Calm
25th November 2009, 11:43 PM
Get well Ken :D:D - now as woodies we may be able to help him here.

Who would he trust to turn him up some crutches - maybe Jefferson could do some finial style ones.:2tsup::2tsup: - what about the escholon chuck jeff?:C

could do a 3 legged stool (he's used to doing them the same:q:q) to sit at the lathe on. - dont wait for Robbbo to do the pen for him to write on all the thankyou cards - wont happen that one:no::no:

There's a job for Allan he likes pens - me - well i'll just take the credit for the good ideas :p:p

Seriously Ken get well soon we need you around this place.

Cheers

wheelinround
26th November 2009, 07:39 AM
Ken get well soon look out for Allen's hospital jokes he'll have you in stiches.

RETIRED
26th November 2009, 02:56 PM
Good news.

The doctors and nurses are all sick of him so they are sending him home today.:D

dai sensei
26th November 2009, 05:48 PM
Holly crap, I thought I was the only clumsy clot :-.

Hope all mends well for you mate,.

Cheers

nalmo
26th November 2009, 08:28 PM
Maybe they're chucking him out cos of all the shavings he was piling up on the floor around the bed.

Hope you have a speedy and full recovery and get well soon.

Sawdust Maker
26th November 2009, 10:16 PM
get better soon
and remember you're a woodturner not a bloomin roofing contractor - but then I think I understand ...

KenW
30th November 2009, 02:03 PM
Thanks everybody for all the get well messages.
As said, they threw me out of the hospital on Thursday.
I can only sit at the computer for short periods of time, so responses from me will be slow.
It will be some weeks before I can turn again, so the wife says, we will see.

jefferson
30th November 2009, 02:19 PM
Good to have you back, Ken.

2 weeks???? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Old Croc
30th November 2009, 02:33 PM
Hi Ken,
Good to see you are OK,
to return the quote "you are not 20 anymore you silly bugger":oo:
regards,
crocy.
PS does that mean you wont want a load of Red Lancewood AKA Eastern Dead Finish?

KenW
30th November 2009, 02:38 PM
Hi Ken,
Good to see you are OK,
to return the quote "you are not 20 anymore you silly bugger":oo:
regards,
crocy.
PS does that mean you wont want a load of Red Lancewood AKA Eastern Dead Finish?
I only have a broken back, I'm not dead.
Of course I will need more Red Lancewood.

rsser
30th November 2009, 03:37 PM
BTW a recent double-blind test of the use of cement for spinal fractures has shown no benefit (and the stuff costs a bomb).

Good luck Ken.

Calm
30th November 2009, 03:57 PM
BTW a recent double-blind test of the use of cement for spinal fractures has shown no benefit (and the stuff costs a bomb).

Good luck Ken.

So what Chopper said about take a cup of cement doesn't work then Ern:D:D:D

Cheers

rsser
30th November 2009, 04:10 PM
Could be worth a try Calm.

Won't cost much ;-}

Ozkaban
30th November 2009, 04:15 PM
Hope you get better soon, Ken.

By the way, the 'stingray' box of yours in the latest AWR is unbelievable :2tsup:

Cheers,
Dave

Jim Carroll
30th November 2009, 05:18 PM
Thanks everybody for all the get well messages.
As said, they threw me out of the hospital on Thursday.
I can only sit at the computer for short periods of time, so responses from me will be slow.
It will be some weeks before I can turn again, so the wife says, we will see.

So does this mean you have to get rid of the stubby and buy the Vicmarc VL200 sit down lathe :D

jefferson
30th November 2009, 06:08 PM
So does this mean you have to get rid of the stubby and buy the Vicmarc VL200 sit down lathe :D

Be very, very careful, Jim. It comes back ten-fold, I assure you. :B:B:B

Calm
30th November 2009, 06:21 PM

Who sung that song - "never let a chance go by" :D:D

Cheers

artme
30th November 2009, 08:05 PM
Glad to see you are back home Ken.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

I guess it's physio when things get a bit better? A cute little Physiotherapist will have you up and fit in no time.:D:D:p

KenW
1st December 2009, 11:31 AM
Hope you get better soon, Ken.

By the way, the 'stingray' box of yours in the latest AWR is unbelievable :2tsup:

Cheers,
Dave
Thanks Dave, it's always nice to see your work in a magazine.

KenW
1st December 2009, 11:36 AM
Jim, I do most of my work on a Woodfast. A week ago I thouht I might have to trade this in for one I could use lying down. I'm slowly learning to stand again, if not a VL200 sit down might be handy in the future.

Ozkaban
1st December 2009, 11:38 AM

Cheers

Dunno, but I'm sure I've heard that tune whistled around here a few times :rolleyes:

KenW
1st December 2009, 11:39 AM
Glad to see you are back home Ken.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

I guess it's physio when things get a bit better? A cute little Physiotherapist will have you up and fit in no time.:D:D:p
I have to do all the healing by myself, no cute little physio in my future.

Jim Carroll
1st December 2009, 12:47 PM
I have to do all the healing by myself, no cute little physio in my future.

But it would certainly speed up the recovery no end.:D

jmk89
1st December 2009, 01:36 PM

Cheers

It was Bob Hudson - The Newcastle Song - a classic:D

Cliff Rogers
1st December 2009, 01:41 PM
In tending to some storm/rain damage on Saturday night he
slipped and fell from a roof at his property.

Result: Four damaged verterbrae and ended up in Royal
Melbourne Hospital. Apparently he was able to sit up this
morning but wearing a brace....
Bugger, hope it doesn't hurt too much. :-

Old Croc
1st December 2009, 01:45 PM
Of course I will need more Red Lancewood.
I think the reference to not being 20 anymore came from you when I got out of coronary care.:D Must have been a bad week, as I went back in again, only this time i was only on the brink of a heart attack, so I have finally come to the conclusion that I am no longer 20, and will slow down a little.:no:
Have just fitted a laser guide to the BIG saw, and I am cutting some highly figured Burdekin Plum root ball, will let you know if it is any good. In the meantime, look after yourself.
croccy.

Ozkaban
1st December 2009, 01:53 PM
Bugger, hope it doesn't hurt too much. :-

If it's any consolation (which I doubt), my next door neighbour did this trick too, only he landed on his eye socket on concrete. Touch and go for a bit...

The nurse (who is coincidentally another neighbour!) was talking to us about it and she said that it is probably the most common cause of injury in ER for middle aged men that she sees... Apparently the superman costume stops working after a while :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Dave

tea lady
1st December 2009, 04:39 PM
The nurse (who is coincidentally another neighbour!) was talking to us about it and she said that it is probably the most common cause of injury in ER for middle aged men that she sees... Apparently the superman costume stops working after a while :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Dave:rofl::D

robbiebgraham
2nd December 2009, 09:04 AM

Sorry to hear about your accident Ken. I hope your recovery is going well.
All the best,
Robbie

KenW
2nd December 2009, 11:11 AM
QUOTE]
Sorry to hear about your accident Ken. I hope your recovery is going well.
All the best,
Robbie
Thanks Robbie.
It was no accident, just me not being careful.

Calm
2nd December 2009, 02:48 PM
I have been putting some thought into this and is apparent to me that it must be about time to make the new "weird & wonderful" item for the shows next year.

The standard/bar of display/entries items has got pretty high from the last few years

Maybe plans are not coming along as they shoud be - maybe age is coming into play here or is it "thats been done before". I reckon the inspirational thoughts just wont appear to "top" the show from last year. It could be said the "artist has hit the wall"

So out of desperation i think KenW has invented this whole little charade of his as an excuse (cant turn for 6 months) for more time to get the new masterpiece on the way.

How easy would it be - fake a fall off the roof - get a couple of people to "substantiate his story" wear a brace - yep i reckon its all a hoax cos he's scared of the competition this year.:D:p:p:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Well i wont fall for it Ken even if the others do:roll::no::no::doh::doh::q:q

Cheers

jefferson
2nd December 2009, 05:11 PM
I haven't seen the brace either, but Ken made a rod for his own back with this year's entries, regardless of the back brace.

But, as the WWW frequently warns, it comes back tenfold. (Jim Carroll, you poor bugger....:D:D:D) I hope I'm there for that one.

KenW
4th December 2009, 05:17 PM
I have been putting some thought into this and is apparent to me that it must be about time to make the new "weird & wonderful" item for the shows next year.

The standard/bar of display/entries items has got pretty high from the last few years

Maybe plans are not coming along as they shoud be - maybe age is coming into play here or is it "thats been done before". I reckon the inspirational thoughts just wont appear to "top" the show from last year. It could be said the "artist has hit the wall"

So out of desperation i think KenW has invented this whole little charade of his as an excuse (cant turn for 6 months) for more time to get the new masterpiece on the way.

How easy would it be - fake a fall off the roof - get a couple of people to "substantiate his story" wear a brace - yep i reckon its all a hoax cos he's scared of the competition this year.:D:p:p:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Well i wont fall for it Ken even if the others do:roll::no::no::doh::doh::q:q

Cheers
David, did you have to tell everybody. I thought the broken back story was a good one, give me plenty of time to come up with some more ideas.
You should have seen the designs that I came up with while on heavy pain killers, they could be a bit hard to turn.

rsser
4th December 2009, 05:40 PM
Bet you reached out and tried to stroke a few in your delirium.

No wonder they kicked you out.

tea lady
4th December 2009, 05:45 PM
You should have seen the designs that I came up with while on heavy pain killers, they could be a bit hard to turn.We thought you were on drugs already.:D

jefferson
4th December 2009, 10:22 PM
Dare I say it, Ken's mind is on a different planet. :wink: I know, it returns 10 fold but it needs to be said.

I'll pay for that, but it's worth it. I've got a couple of nice ladies to help me (please, Helen, Julie, Bev..... :U)

Off line for a few weeks. House renos started yesterday and I am calling in favours......

I hope to be ready for Xmas - New Year. Hopefully.

The locals are just itching to spend some time again with and now WWW.

rodent
8th December 2009, 12:56 AM
Yes ken pethadeen is a wonderful pain realever for the back . The only problem is getting down from the ceiling . Next time don't try flying on your own your not up there yet .

KenW
8th December 2009, 11:14 AM
Yes ken pethadeen is a wonderful pain realever for the back . The only problem is getting down from the ceiling . Next time don't try flying on your own your not up there yet .
From the roof to the ground was a short flight, the pain killers kept me flying much longer.

powderpost
11th December 2009, 10:11 PM
Very sorry to hear of your predicament Ken. Been out of town for three weeks and just caught up. I hope you recover quickly.
Jim

KenW
12th December 2009, 10:22 AM
Very sorry to hear of your predicament Ken. Been out of town for three weeks and just caught up. I hope you recover quickly.
Jim
Jim, thanks. I seem to be slowly improving.