PDA

View Full Version : Airless Vs Hardwork

Sideroxylon
16th August 2004, 05:57 PM
Would like to hear varied opinions regarding painting new plaster with airless spray as opposed to roller, roller and more ..... roller.
The Plasterer is about to start and had planned to VB pay a mate to apply primer on with airless. Got to thinking that if I could get out of it, would really like to see someone else paint the whole joint....quickly. As usually the opinions I've already garnered are varied, generally that an airless finish always looks a bit off and dosen't hide our little indescretions to well.
Any consensus on how long the plaster has to be left before it can be painted ?

Would appreciate any response.

Thanks,
Sid

rsser
16th August 2004, 06:02 PM
Plasterboard? ... Roller every time for sealer; need to thin it too much for airless. Paint it as soon as its hard and dry with waterbased sealer.

Sideroxylon
16th August 2004, 06:11 PM
Ern,
Thanks for the quick response. Yes, plaster as in Gyprock.
Your answer was not what my arms, neck and shoulders was hoping for.
I'll mope about it a bit more and then just have to get stuck in.
Cheers,

Sid

Jacksin
16th August 2004, 08:18 PM
Cant say ive used airless guns but ive spray painted in an industrial situation and the biggest bugbear is over spray.
Years ago I saw a painter on a job spray painting the ceilings with a 'mist coat' (thin) but they spent that long masking and covering everything I wondered if there was any real advantage.
Apart from the sore neck and shoulders its easy once you get proficient with a large roller (about 360mm wide) but the larger ones get a bit heavy when full of paint.
Jack ;)

rsser
16th August 2004, 09:04 PM
Ern,
Thanks for the quick response. Yes, plaster as in Gyprock.
Your answer was not what my arms, neck and shoulders was hoping for.
I'll mope about it a bit more and then just have to get stuck in.
Cheers,

Sid

Yeah, I'm with Jacksin on this one.

Tried both for sealing T&G floors as an example; there's no time advantage with airless, and you can always use beefed up muscles ;-}

Cliff Rogers
16th August 2004, 10:16 PM
G'day.

I'm with Jack & Ern on this..... ;)
Unless you want to paint everything the same colour, the overspray is a pain.
If you are just painting gyprock, roller is easy.... :rolleyes:
Be glad that it's not splitface concrete block. :eek:

vsquizz
16th August 2004, 11:56 PM
Yep, I've just finished half my house. Roller is the go and really not that hard. However, after using a waterbased sealer on the plaster in two bedrooms with poor resaults I have changed to the new Dulux Sealer/Binder (oil based). This stuff works and last heaps better than a waterbased wallboard sealer. Its incredibly hard, only takes one coat and the smell aint too bad (1 day). Can be overpainted with Acrylic no worries. I wish it had of been around when I did the kids bedrooms.

Only one downer being the cleanup!

I have no peciunary interest in Dulux or their products.

Cheers

Sideroxylon
17th August 2004, 09:58 AM
Thanks all.
Will take this into account, particularly the oil based tip.
The beefed up muscles have never been a problem carrying all of these other b@#st&ds at work.
I'm currently working nights in the shed glueing up kitchen benches of Ironbark and Coastal Grey Box or making timber vanities. So any chance of a let off has to be explored.
Thanks again.

Sid

TassieKiwi
17th August 2004, 12:13 PM
After too many m2 of painting, here's some tips:

Roller is best, unless you mask out the whole house. Airless v.good for concrete tiled rooves though!

When using oilbase, tint the sealer the same colour (if possible) as topcoat. Easier tocover, and scratches/damage won't show as easy.

If you're knocking off overnight, and have more to do the next day, put the paint tray,roller,brushes etc all in the roller tray, in the paint, and whack into a plastic bag. Remove exess air and seal up. Saves a whole cleanup!

Speedbrushes are the thing for cutting in at edges. With a bit of practice you won't need masking tape!

Before the topcoats, fill any ugly gaps between walls and skirting/architraves with 'no more gaps' - looks heaps better.

Stick a fave CD on loud, and into it!

Neo
18th August 2004, 12:27 PM
G'Day Team,
Rollers are definitely the go, we found they were better and faster than spraying for covering the gazillion sq metres of textured brick in our lower floor. I have to agree with TassieKiwi that playing anything loud gets the job done quicker. Mind you the only time I've ever allowed to play music loud enough for my liking is when SWMBO and rugrats are not around so that could also be a factor.

A quick question for you TassieKiwi, what are speedbrushes?