PDA

View Full Version : WIP small silky oak desk

brizylad
21st November 2009, 09:51 AM
G'day All,

Bought a desk for my son, who starts prep next year, but it is painted in lovely (not) 70's lime green.

I will post some photos when I reduce the file size.

Question...I have remove 99.9% of the paint from the top, but there is white undercoat still in the grain. I am using 0000 steel wool and metho, which seems to be working, but I was wondering if acetone may be better.

Stuart J.

hap97
22nd November 2009, 05:54 PM
This is a copy of an earlier post.
Paint will stay in the grain of oak.
I use a feast watson "Old Baltic Pine" Stain to reduce the appearance of the white.

Stripping Paint: Method of stripping I use...

I find the best stripper is the methyl chloride variety (any brand)
Paint on stripper and leave until paint softens.
Strip off using a paint scrapper.
Apply another coat of stripper.
If more paint is to be stripped then use a paint scraper OR
If majority of paint has been removed then use coarse steel wool to remove residue.
Finally wash the surface with metho and steel wool. (This should remove all the paint on timber, but if oak and open grain then some paint remains in the grain.)
I suggest leaving the door until last. Get the skill required first on drawers. The paint in the corners of the door panel can be removed with a point or sharp knife.
Cleaning timber surface:

What sort of sander do you have?
If you need to buy a sander, consider purchasing a 125mm random orbital sander. (It will do the majority of sanding tasks.)
Sand all exterior surfaces with 80 or 120 grit.
Fill all holes and gaps with wood stop. (If new handles are used the screw pitch could be different!)
Finish:

A clear finish will look attractive.
If the cabinet is to be painted, then do it in enamel, undercoat and top coat.
What finish do you intend to use?

Hilton

brizylad
23rd November 2009, 12:47 PM
I remember reading your post when it came up in my searches.

I have a belt and orbital sander. Haven't used the belt on the desk yet, but I think I used the orbital with 80 grit before I took the photos.

I want to do a clear finish following Wongo's instructions. I have had good results in the past.

Stuart J.