PDA

View Full Version : SMALL DOWEL - Help!

Thargo
21st November 2009, 03:06 PM
Just wondering if anyone knows where I can buy 1/8" (or 3mm) wooden dowels in Australia.

I've pounded the net but seem to keep coming up blank. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :2tsup:

Thargo

AlexS
21st November 2009, 03:59 PM
Try Hobbyco or one of the model making shops.

fletty
21st November 2009, 04:46 PM
Hi Thargo, you can get them in the supermarket! Bamboo cooking skewers come in several sizes of which the biggest is 3mm and bamboo is much stronger than any other timber at this size. I use them all the time for dowels and hinge pins.
fletty

malb
21st November 2009, 06:01 PM
Was also going to suggest Bamboo skewers from the supermarket. If you need very accurate sizing, you could make a small sizing tool by drilling an accurate sized hole in a piece of steel and pushing/drawing the skewers through that to shave them to the finished size. probably only taking .5mm overall off so not a major problem.

fletty
21st November 2009, 06:10 PM
I think they are actually sized to 1/8" (= 3.175mm) but I drill a 3mm hole and the skewer drives in neatly due its fibrous nature. The ones that I've used as hinge pins in boxes etc still show no signs of wear.
fletty

Chipman
21st November 2009, 07:49 PM
I regularly buy small diameter dowel at Bunnings but it may be 4mm... just went and checked....it is tassie oak 4mm. Next size down would be the bamboo skewers.

Cheers,

Chipman

Thargo
5th December 2009, 11:44 PM
Thanks for all the help fellas. I'll get the Broom Pilot to pick some skewers up next time shes in the supermarket and I'll give them a whirl.

tea lady
6th December 2009, 11:19 AM
I've turned a bit of dowel cos I wanted small and a certain type of wood. :shrug:

Ozkaban
7th December 2009, 05:15 PM
Broom Pilot

:huh:

joe greiner
8th December 2009, 12:19 AM
Broom Pilot: Probably SWMBO, if you think about it. (But don't let her hear you think).:oo:

Cheers,
Joe

Ozkaban
8th December 2009, 11:21 AM
Broom Pilot: Probably SWMBO, if you think about it. (But don't let her hear you think).:oo:

Cheers,
Joe

hmmm. I had a feeling that was it. I remember a joke about measuring courage in men that basically had the man coming home at 3am, smelling of booze, smoke and with lipstick. When wife greets said hubby at door with a broom with which to thwack him he responds with "are you still cleaning up, or are you flying somewhere"... I explained this to my wife and she wasn't sure how it became 'funny' :rolleyes:

Sorry - end of hijack :D

Cheers,
Dave

rrich
8th December 2009, 01:07 PM
Broom Pilot???

:roflmao:

Thargo
15th December 2009, 11:08 AM

Yep, Joe got it right........My loving wife, the Broom Pilot. Our sons call her 'BOB'......Big Old Babe! :2tsup:

Did I mention she is not easily offended. Must have something to do with growing up with (4) older brothers and no sisters!!!!!

Black Cat
17th December 2009, 08:12 PM
Ignoring the comments about brooms ... Bunnings regularly stock 3 mm dowel. I use it for filling holes where large nails have come out.