PDA

View Full Version : WOODWORKING QUIZ for 16 AUG 04

Ralph Jones
16th August 2004, 10:00 PM
Good Evening Friends,
A standard entry door is 6'8" tall, but what if a fellow is 7' tall.
Would he have to have a special door made to accommodate his height or could he order one from the local lumber yard?

Respectfully, :)

Cliff Rogers
16th August 2004, 10:08 PM
G'day.

You could mount it 4 & 1/4" higher & stick a 4 x 2 (2 x 4 for Ralph) across
the bottom of the opening for him to step over. :D

Work just fine til he has sometihing one wheels that he wants to
push through the doorway. :(

bitingmidge
16th August 2004, 10:28 PM
If he had a special door made, he'd have to have a special parking space as well so that he could get his car (and the door) close to where he was going to avoid having to carry it long distances.

It would be pretty inconvenient having to carry your own door everywhere.

Perhaps eventually he could have the top four inches of his head removed so he would fit under a standard door?

Cheers,

P

Ivan in Oz
16th August 2004, 10:30 PM
Ralph,

yes of course he can :rolleyes:

Ivan in Oz.......not quite 7', only 195cm

Barry_White
16th August 2004, 10:44 PM
Here in Oz a standard door is 2040mm high and the average hardware supplies would not carry any thing higher. The door manufactures do make a 2370mm door which used to be put into all the Housing Commission houses in NSW.

Bob Willson
17th August 2004, 08:59 AM
When I used to sell these things here in Brisbane about 30 years ago, a standard exterior door was 6' 10" * 2' 10" * 1 3/4" thick.

The internal door were 6'8" * 2'8" * 1 1/2" thick.

If the door needed to be 7' tall then we would probably either have made thge door from scratch to make it 7' tall or added 1" edge strips top and bottom to a standard exterior door.
The height of an individual was seldom a concern in the manufacture of doors. They either learnt to duck or suffered massive trauma to the forehead until they could no longer actually stand up straight enough to reach the top of the door frame.

Another seldom used option could be to have a small pit dug in front of and under the entry door. Then, rather than stuff around getting special doors made you just stroll through your own specially dug pit.

Ralph Jones
17th August 2004, 09:30 PM
Good Evening Friends,
We smerfs don't have to worry about going through any door as I am only 1650mm tall myself.

I called the lumber dealer and they told me that though they didn't stock the 7' doors, but they could have one the next day from a store that did.

Anything larger than that would have to be custom made.

Bod Wilson, being a former door saleman knows exactly what I am talking about.

Thank you for your support.

Respectfully, :)

RETIRED
17th August 2004, 10:29 PM
Another seldom used option could be to have a small pit dug in front of and under the entry door. Then, rather than stuff around getting special doors made you just stroll through your own specially dug pit.

And get wet feet in winter with the "pond" outside the door. :D DAMHIKT