PDA

View Full Version : Some Timber with pictures

DavidG
16th August 2004, 10:58 PM
Interesting link to some timber with pictures.

http://www.pnc.com.au/~jaxtrans/index.html

Look at the "Timber Gallery"

AlexS
16th August 2004, 11:03 PM
Another one for the 'favourites'. Thanks

Grunt
16th August 2004, 11:14 PM
Excellent

Cliff Rogers
16th August 2004, 11:37 PM
G'day.

Yeah good but..... there are only 4 that I've ever heard of &
I only have 3 of them in my collection & I have a fairly good collection....
I started stashing it in my 4th shed 2 weeks ago. :eek:

Ben from Vic.
17th August 2004, 01:05 AM
Wonder why the names are all strange? :confused:

There's a few timbers there I recognized but I'd never heard them called by those names before.

ie, Tas Myrtle, Sassafras, etc.

Strange.

Ben

Alastair
17th August 2004, 12:28 PM
I would hazard one of the following:

We are being PC, and using the Aboriginal names, not the nasty colonial

We are marketing overseas, and want something more exotic than REDGUM etc

my 2c

Alastair

glock40sw
17th August 2004, 12:39 PM
this timber site is weird.
I have been in hardwood timber for 27 years and I have NEVER heard of Coastal Blackbutt being called "Jindavik"

makes me wonder what they are trying to achieve.

Hooroo.
regards, Trevor
Grafton

Toymaker Len
17th August 2004, 10:10 PM
Anybody sight any prices yet ? I really think this is pitched to those lovely rich northern hemisphere woodies.

E. maculata
18th August 2004, 04:25 PM
Oh, an age old mystery has been answered for me, "what happens when inmates take over the assylum?" or more correctly "when marketing guys take over the universe". Like others looked at the timbers and thought 'Wow that looks like....." looked at the species distribution and went "hang on thats.... :rolleyes: "

for example
Eucalyptus teriticornis=Bodalla???-maybe forest red gum a species I am very familiar with

Eucalyptus camaldulensis=Galga??-try river red gum

Eucalyptus sideroxylon, Eucalyptus fibrosa and Eucalyptus crebra=Terang???
#1Red Ironbark or Mugga #2 broad leaved inland ironbark #3 narrow leaf IBK

Dysoxylum fraserianum=Werribi??-rosewood

Eucalyptus maculata=Pardoo….what the????? Try Corymbia Maculata Spotted gum, now that was going too far IMHO. :eek:

Here I was thinking 24 years in the industry and never heard of or seen that named tree before :confused: , until it all clicked :(
They could be local Aboriginal names from other places, but none from my area I've ever been told about, could be made up white fella majic designed to sound all funny and warm and natural ;) .
Bit dangerous lumping dissimilar species under one heading together when they have completely different strengths & properties though.

Bruce C.
Silly me and I thought we spent all that time and money standardising everything for a GOOD reason

E. maculata
18th August 2004, 04:35 PM
As it turns out yesterday I used a "Sandvik" axe with a"Pardoo" handle to sound out a "Jandovik" tree before felling it!

Alastair
19th August 2004, 01:30 PM
Some suggestions, depending on the skills and irreverence of the punters:

Send them an email suggesting that they are being richard craniums, (borrowed that one!) and should get a life.

Send them an email, suggesting that the are possibly infringing the Trade Descriptions Act (if such a thing exists!)

Hack into their website and append the correct names :D :D

Alastair

reeves
30th November 2004, 04:23 PM
yes i have checked thru that site and the naming conventions seema little strange

is casuarina, previouspy she oak of varying kinds now Wonjdoan or whatever..

strange

cheeeeeers

Arron
30th November 2004, 07:55 PM
OK so the names are dumb but they are the most realistic collection of photos of Aussie timbers I have ever seen - by a long way (or at least they are on my monitor). If you want to create a reference library on your own pc using real names not the dopey marketing names then:
1. create a directory called 'Aus_timbers' or something similar.
2. open each timber species on this website in your browser and do a 'save as' to the directory you created in step 1.
3. save the the file aus_timbers.txt (which I have attached) into the same directory and rename it aus_timbers.htm.
4. load the file aus_timbers.htm file into the browser.

Viola, you have a quick reference to some of Australias best known timber species - using the names you will be familiar with.

Arron

Blackpete
9th December 2004, 06:34 PM
By golly chaps,

I am glad you all straightend that out for me, for a moment I thourght I had discovered a whole new library of trees!!