PDA

View Full Version : Interesting stance

wheelinround
22nd November 2009, 01:21 PM
I was trolling as you do and found an interesting turning image can you pick it.http://www.cws.au.com/persistent/catalogue_images/categories/sovereign2.jpg

Paul39
22nd November 2009, 01:30 PM
I was trolling as you do and found an interesting turning image can you pick it.

Looks like the first photo is flopped, or he has a lathe with the headstock in the middle of the bed and a chuck on each end, and can turn two bowls at a time.

Saw a National Geographic photo many years ago where a bunch of Arab tribesmen were eating from a common tray using bare hands. In the desert where there are no sanitary facilities, toilet paper, or washing up water, one uses the right hand for eating and the left for other things.

NG got letters, and explained the transparency got accidentally flopped.

rsser
22nd November 2009, 02:10 PM
Looks like a Nova lathe so he's presumably reverse turning in Pic 1. (or just showing the tool presentation for the purposes of the pic).

Yes, as Paul says, if it was a film negative it could've been used upside down flipped

DJ’s Timber
22nd November 2009, 02:26 PM
I'd say the photo has been flipped or whatever you call it, going by the banjo.

brendan stemp
22nd November 2009, 06:03 PM
Can you 'flop' digital photos accidentally?

BobL
22nd November 2009, 06:13 PM

Given enough monkeys and enough keyboards I'd say so!

thefixer
22nd November 2009, 07:59 PM
It looks to me as though he is working left handed from the back of the lathe. I work like this whenever I am hollowing. Although by the position of the tool I would say the lathe is in reverse. I don't have that luxury on the MC1100.:(

tea lady
22nd November 2009, 08:43 PM
It must be flipped, other wise he has morror bangos too. He's holding his wrist funny though. Is he supposed to be teaching? My wrist hurts just looking at it. :C

artme
22nd November 2009, 08:51 PM
Don't think the three pics are related to each other if you focus on the pieces being turned.

I fhe has the lathe running in reverse that mignht explein the first pic.

I suggest these are pics. of a demo and someone has flipped the first pic.

AUSSIE
22nd November 2009, 08:53 PM
Woopsy

issatree
22nd November 2009, 09:04 PM
Hi wheelaround.
I 'd say he is standing on the other side of the Nova Lathe, & doing this CUTE Turning that I've seen of late. I also think the Lathe is Spinning the correct way.
Nothing different about the other 2 Pics, that I can see.
Regards,
issatree.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Manuka Jock
22nd November 2009, 09:39 PM
Can we buy a hint , the link to the web page maybe :)?

wheelinround
22nd November 2009, 09:40 PM
Jim Carroll maybe able to shed some light on it (came from his web site on Sorbey Tools) but I'd say the first photo was flipped

AUSSIE
22nd November 2009, 09:49 PM
Jim Carroll maybe able to shed some light on it (came from his web site on Sorbey Tools) but I'd say the first photo was flipped
Very good Wheely.Now you have it the right way round:2tsup:

scrapwood
22nd November 2009, 10:58 PM
I am not a wood turner but the 'tool rest / tool guide' in pic1 is a mirror image of those in the other two. Unless one is supplied with mirror image tool rests with lathes than I would say the pic has to have been flipped.

"... other wise he has morror bangos ..." (Tealady). What are morror bangos?

munruben
23rd November 2009, 07:58 AM
It's unanimous, the "flips" have it.:2tsup:

NeilS
23rd November 2009, 09:50 AM
& doing this CUTE Turning that I've seen of late.

Issatree, if you had the 'Raffan back cut' in mind (video clip of it here (http://www.turningtools.co.uk/videos/videos.html#raffan)), I'm not sure that's it.

Along with others, I'd have my money on a horizontal flip at some stage during reproduction.

wheelinround
23rd November 2009, 11:46 AM
Link to where I got it from CWS Store - Robert Sorby Sovereign Tools | Carroll's Woodcraft Supplies (http://www.cws.au.com/shop/category/-sovereign-tools)

Not Jim's fault original at Sorby's site Sovereign system (http://www.robert-sorby.co.uk/sovereignsystem.htm)

Harry72
23rd November 2009, 06:21 PM
It looks to me as though he is working left handed from the back of the lathe. I work like this whenever I am hollowing. Although by the position of the tool I would say the lathe is in reverse. I don't have that luxury on the MC1100.:(

Bingo!

RETIRED
23rd November 2009, 08:48 PM
Wasn't going to enter into this one but....

The first photo is a "mirror" image or back to front.

The turner is not at the back of the lathe and the lathe is not going in reverse.

If this were the case the tool rest support post on the banjo would be facing the tailstock. It isn't.

If you don't believe me, put the banjo and too lrest on the other side of the lathe.

jefferson
23rd November 2009, 08:55 PM
Well, , I think you should have entered into this one from Post I. I've just read 18 posts trying to figure it until I read yours....... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

thefixer
23rd November 2009, 10:38 PM
Wasn't going to enter into this one but....

The first photo is a "mirror" image or back to front.

The turner is not at the back of the lathe and the lathe is not going in reverse.

If this were the case the tool rest support post on the banjo would be facing the tailstock. It isn't.

If you don't believe me, put the banjo and too lrest on the other side of the lathe.

Bugger!!! Your right, I never looked at that.:-:-

wheelinround
24th November 2009, 06:57 AM
Was it that hard to figure out :doh:

Harry72
24th November 2009, 08:12 PM
It tis backwards:(

nalmo
26th November 2009, 08:37 PM
The banjo locking lever is the key to whether it is flipped or not (which it is).