PDA

View Full Version : Enter the Boxing Ring - another name for a FENCE

Hoods
22nd November 2009, 04:32 PM
OK - there's this bloke, Wayne, whom I loosely call my friend. We both inhabit MY workshed, which would be fine if we could agree on a single thing. (His wife and my husband refer to the shed as the boxing ring.) Today's toe-to-toe began with my referring to the "fence" on my table saw. "What's a fence?" says he. Aghast, I explained. "That's not a !@!@ing fence," he says. "It's a ...." (Don't want to influence anyone with the term he used!) Things deteriorated rapidly after that. Too, too ugly for me to put down in print! Anyway, he always has to have the last word, and the last word was that "Every single woodworker I know calls it a ... I have never HEARD of a fence."

So, can anyone with an opinion please enlighten either or both of us. What is another name for what I call a fence?? Wayne will be forced (physically) to read your replies.

KevM
22nd November 2009, 06:21 PM
It's always been a table saw fence to me.

Here's (http://www.google.com.au/search?q=table+saw+fence&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-ahttp://www.google.com.au/) a google search.

Sir Stinkalot
22nd November 2009, 06:21 PM
Could be straight edge ...... but I would go with fence any day of the week.

cultana
22nd November 2009, 07:58 PM
So, can anyone with an opinion please enlighten either or both of us.

Well I have an opinion but I doubt that is the opinion you are after..:rofl:

But if you mean one of these type of things (as an example):
Carba-Tec Heavy Duty Tablesaw Fence : CARBA-TEC (http://www.carbatec.com.au/carba-tec-heavy-duty-tablesaw-fence_c19341)
Its a fence..

If you mean one of these (as an example):
Deluxe Suva Guard : CARBA-TEC (http://www.carbatec.com.au/deluxe-suva-guard_c3280)
It is a guard..

If you are referring to something else.. Well its one of them "thingywhatits"

weisyboy
22nd November 2009, 08:08 PM
what do you call a fence.

lenco
22nd November 2009, 08:33 PM
Having been on the Olympic fencing team , put up a million miles of fences, I will not take o-fence if I am wrong, snicker snicker. A fence on a bench saw is a sliding bar which with the aid of usually a thumb screw you can set up at a given distance from the sawblade..If you wanna rip a piece of ply into say 150mm strips you would set the fence at 150mm.The guard is the cover that goes up over the blade when you push your work thru and then settles back over the blade. There are similar guards on drop saws ,planers etc. cheers..lenco

Hoods
22nd November 2009, 09:15 PM
Oops - didn't realise I hadn't made it clear what *I* call a fence - I do mean the "sliding bar which ... you can set up at a given distance from the sawblade" and/or for routing, whatever.

So far - Hoods 6, Wayne 0. I like this.

artme
22nd November 2009, 09:17 PM
Been afence since I was in nappies!! So there!:p:p:p

weisyboy
22nd November 2009, 09:39 PM
id call it a fence. so would everyone else i know. and every book in teh world. and every parts manual.

only person that wouldnt call it a fence is my brother who would call it that thing.

watson
22nd November 2009, 10:42 PM
Hoods 9 Wayne Zilch. (IMHO)

cultana
22nd November 2009, 11:36 PM
This is beginning to look like a 'funny' thread.

One question I do have; are both Hoods and Wayne doing something with them magic mushrooms that grow down on the south coast NSW, Nowra way??

The whole argument seems to look like it is all mushroom feed based in the first place..

Hoods
23rd November 2009, 01:22 AM
We have magic mushies on the South Coast? Point me to them! :)

Honestly? This was the only way I could think of to convince Wayne that a fence is a fence. (Don't get me started on Wayne And Safety!)

cultana
23rd November 2009, 01:39 AM
We have magic mushies on the South Coast? Point me to them! :)

many moons and lots of them, ago when I lived in the Gong magic mushies were to be found in the forest down Nowra way.
Some suggested it was all part of the naval station secret work, other just picked the things and smoke a bit :U

Honestly? This was the only way I could think of to convince Wayne that a fence is a fence. (Don't get me started on Wayne And Safety!)

Seems Wayne might also need to know about the other fence ie the one between neighbours. :oo:

Bob38S
23rd November 2009, 11:12 AM
Yesterday it was a fence. :U

Today it is a fence. :U

Tomorrow it will still be a fence. :o

orraloon
23rd November 2009, 11:39 AM
Fence is the common term.
If we were to slip into management speak then the terms are limitless.
Product width delineation device
Wood thickness interface
Stock quantity control
Sticking up bit

OK people lets see some more

Bob38S
23rd November 2009, 12:40 PM
Fence is the common term.
If we were to slip into management speak then the terms are limitless.
Product width delineation device
Wood thickness interface
Stock quantity control
Sticking up bit

OK people lets see some more

Yep - PC = BS

- the only thing it is good for is a giggle :U and I can laugh at the above.

unfortunately, there are many [luckily, not on this forum] who seem to think it is "smart", "cool" or so called superiority thing to confuse issues by using the above for real. Is this possibly what Hood's mate is trying for or is he just in for a stir?

underfoot
23rd November 2009, 04:19 PM
"That's not a !@!@ing fence," he says. "It's a ...." (Don't want to influence anyone with the term he used!)
Alrighty....I'll bite.....What did Wayne call it :?

Hoods
23rd November 2009, 08:26 PM
Good on yer, boys and ta for all the input - Wayne has thrown in the towel. ***small victory dance*** (insofar as anything an aging heffallump can do is small.)

He called it a straight edge, or a straight gauge, which of course I can relate to, but a fence it is for now and forever, amen.

For those who suggested fences between neighbours - there are none to raise or equip with claymores. :) We're in a caravan park (ours) and Wayne is a paying guest who has become my very good mate, by osmosis. He loves winding me up, but occasionally things get v. heated as was the case with the "fence". I shd start a Hoods v. Wayne blog - sometimes bl**dy funny, actually.

checkerflight
23rd November 2009, 08:34 PM
hi hood, i was a no 1 and a no 2 benchman in a pine mill yrs ago and it was always refered to as the gauge, i had never heard of it being called a fence until; some 10 yrs ago when i was getting back into woodworking. anyway that is my 2cents worth or i should say 2.2 with gst.cheers peter :2tsup:

Hoods
23rd November 2009, 09:11 PM
hi hood, i was a no 1 and a no 2 benchman in a pine mill yrs ago and it was always refered to as the gauge, i had never heard of it being called a fence until; some 10 yrs ago when i was getting back into woodworking. anyway that is my 2cents worth or i should say 2.2 with gst.cheers peter :2tsup:
Hi Peter - I'll pretend you didn't say that. :))

Hoods

funkychicken
23rd November 2009, 09:44 PM

Funnily enough, At work we call it a gauge. Unlike a fence it has set measurements and has a roller on it rather than just a flat plane

artme
24th November 2009, 05:35 AM
Funnily enough, At work we call it a gauge. Unlike a fence it has set measurements and has a roller on it rather than just a flat plane

Hence it's called a gauge.

Hoods
24th November 2009, 08:18 AM
OK - enough votes for me to accept gauge as an alternative.