PDA

View Full Version : Sourcing bamboo in Melbourne?

spamnoj
22nd November 2009, 11:31 PM
Hello folks,

I've had my eye on building a bamboo bike for awhile now (see CalfeeDesign (http://www.calfeedesign.com/bamboo.htm) for a fine example), and I'd like to know where I can find some bamboo stock to use.

I live in Melbourne (city), so does anyone happen to know whereabouts I can go? I'm willing to take the train to just about anywhere, if that helps.

cheers,

Jon

masoth
23rd November 2009, 03:15 AM
Try a garden nursery, or interior decorators/designers. You might get product or advice.

soth

Sebastiaan56
23rd November 2009, 08:49 AM
Do you have any idea what species of bamboo? The most common pest bamboo here in NSW is Green and I would recommend a heat treatment before using for a bike.

I*m sure that if you trawl the bits of bush bordering nature reserves / national parks etc you will find some. Its a bloody pest and was planted in the early 20thC as wind/fire breaks in some areas. Ask neighbours who have planted it. If you get really stuck come to Glenbrook NSW and I will fill a trailer or two for you!

tea lady
23rd November 2009, 08:56 AM
:think: You use to be able to get bamboo in that marine supplies shop in Collingwood.

Here you go.:cool:

Bamboo (http://www.chsmith.com.au/Bamboo.html)

We also have a patch of bamboo. Its bike sized so you are welcome to some. The train goes to Belgrave.:D I know nothing of heat treating as Sabastion mentions though. :shrug:

spamnoj
23rd November 2009, 11:07 AM
If you get really stuck come to Glenbrook NSW and I will fill a trailer or two for you!

Thanks Seb, but I don't need a trailer full of the stuff! :D

And thanks tea lady, too. The most difficult part will be selecting appropriately sized pieces, as bike frames have to be tediously tacked together to form geometrically accurate things, or they might lose structural integrity and crash! :o

And I am on my summer break, so if I get really stumped I just might take up your offer.

Thanks everyone.

tea lady
23rd November 2009, 11:40 AM
Thanks Seb, but I don't need a trailer full of the stuff! :D

And thanks tea lady, too. The most difficult part will be selecting appropriately sized pieces, as bike frames have to be tediously tacked together to form geometrically accurate things, or they might lose structural integrity and crash! :o

And I am on my summer break, so if I get really stumped I just might take up your offer.

Thanks everyone.

I though any triangle would be fairly strong structurally. :shrug:

You are welcome anytime.:cool: If we can make a bike in a day you could ride it home again.:D

Sebastiaan56
23rd November 2009, 03:49 PM
About heat treating bamboo,

Bamboo will split easily when you dry it. It will also rot quite easily. Heat treating involves heating the bamboo to about 130-150C. When you do this there is a wax that exudes from the bamboo. You rub it with a rag and polish the wax onto the surface. It polishes really nicely and becomes very hard. It is easier to saw, drill etc as well. Traditionally it was done over a fire but Ive had great success using an oven. Ive used on both green and dry bamboo, worked a beauty for both.

I have seen scaffolding for whole buildings made of bamboo in Nepal. All lashed together with sisal, amazing stuff. Ive only seen heat treated bamboo being used for musical instruments, combs and other personal adornments. Im sure the Bamboo Forum will have people who have attempted this kind of thing. Bamboo Forums - Bamboo Arts and Craft Network (http://www.bamboocraft.net/forums/)

Post some progress pictures please

tea lady
23rd November 2009, 03:55 PM
:oo: Bamboo forums? Fantastic! :cool: