PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question - Home renovation

sarules
17th August 2004, 12:45 PM
Hello

I have recently completed and extension to my house and I had to use Stegbar AT2000 range (fire restrictions) which have an aluminium exterior and western red cedar interior finish. We asked the builder to finish off the room in the same wood (skirting and a architraves). I have not yet priced the cedar skirting and architraves, but from reading the threads, I take it is going to be expensive....from this new extension, a passage way leads into the bedrooms and to the entrance to the house...which is where my question is leading...

Do I need to follow through with cedar through the rest of the hallway and bedrooms including doors? I am not sure what to do, but from a personal view, do not want to change to painted/normal skirting from the "join" between the new and old extension. Is there a wood that has the same look and feel of cedar (when oiled) but without the price tag? (for doors/architrave and skirting)

Thanks in Advance

Roland

vsquizz
17th August 2004, 01:57 PM
Roland, You could actually try what I have done and that is use a contrasting timber (I don't know which one). I have Tas oak floor with jarrah skirtings (as in the rest of the house) and everybody seems to comment on how good it looks.

I have the artistic/decorating talents of a wet brick but it looks OK to me.

Just a thought

Cheers

silentC
17th August 2004, 02:20 PM
You could try oregon. It varies a lot in colour and it can be close to cedar. I bought some to do skirts and architrave in an extension with cedar doors and windows. It was a little bit light so I stained it with a light cedar stain and the match was pretty close. If you have a router it's cheaper to buy it square and bullnose it yourself, which is what I did.

sarules
17th August 2004, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the tips....guys /(gals?) any advise on the door's...can you even get Cedar internal doors?

Thanks Again.

Theva
17th August 2004, 04:57 PM
Sarules,

As per previous posts, contrasting / darker colour timber may be an option.

IMHO, cedar & even oregon are a bit soft for skirting. You may want to look at spotted gum.

Re internal doors: Same mob makes WRC internal & external doors. Just a word of caution - their internal doors have smaller rails and MDF with WRC veneer panels. Again, you may be better off getting external doors.

Sam at Stegbar is very helpful. If required, mention my name and an axe :D for prompt attention.

Regards,

Theva

silentC
17th August 2004, 05:11 PM
cedar & even oregon are a bit soft for skirting
I think that may depend on what you buy. My last house had oregon skirts and architraves all the way through. It was built in the 50's and oregon was very common then. It was quite hard and didn't mark as much as you might think. Certainly wouldn't put it in the same boat as cedar.

Some of the 'oregon' I've seen recently is a bit on the soft side though. The stuff I bought was imported from the States.

arms
17th August 2004, 08:21 PM
I think that may depend on what you buy. My last house had oregon skirts and architraves all the way through. It was built in the 50's and oregon was very common then. It was quite hard and didn't mark as much as you might think. Certainly wouldn't put it in the same boat as cedar.

Some of the 'oregon' I've seen recently is a bit on the soft side though. The stuff I bought was imported from the States.the american oregon you buy is in fact douglas fir and very soft indeed
tom armstrong
www.armstrongcabinets.com.au (http://www.armstrongcabinets.com.au)

seriph1
17th August 2004, 10:43 PM
I feel Cedar is not a great timber for the internal uses mentioned as it is so very soft.... I mean a fingernail can slice into it! As far as matching goes, if RIMU was still around it was widely used as a (very tough) substitute for Cedar. The contrasting/complimentary-material idea usually works well as timber is not one colour but a range..... perhaps consider that as an alternative ..... finally, and I have no doubt I will be scorned for saying so, but MDF done with a matt clear finish can look good against Cedar...... have you considered painting your skirts and archs in a complimentary col.?

silentC
18th August 2004, 09:29 AM
the american oregon you buy is in fact douglas fir and very soft indeed
Not being a timber guru I can only go by what the guy in the timber yard told me. It wasn't soft.