PDA

View Full Version : Quick question regarding circular saw

Yihang
18th August 2004, 12:40 AM
I need a cheap circular saw to get me started. i was wondering if someone here knows how much one of the 1275w 185mm GMC numbers cost at bunnings, the one with the gimmicky looking 'chip chutes' . these are being offered one bay for 49 bucks. its hard for me to get to bunnings.

thanks

vsquizz
18th August 2004, 12:54 AM
Yihang, Welcome, some of what you may need to know may be in these threads. Do a search for GMC.

I have the Ryobi 185 mm circ saw for less than $100 (can't remember exactly) and its quite good.

If starting out stick with the 180 (or thereabouts) size saw as the 235 mm are heavy and can be quite a handful. Make sure you get some dust and eye protection too.

Have fun, Cheers

Yihang
18th August 2004, 01:34 AM
i will, thanks.

i realise the value of good quality machinery, but for me its a choice between getting affordable tools and starting the project or not starting at all. and i have heard mostly good things about GMC from this forum.

i think ive mentioned in other threads that THE project is a boat, so material cost is quite high and i really dont wanna substitute the quality of those.

Dean
18th August 2004, 09:28 AM
I have a small GMC saw I bought ages ago for around $50. It's ok for rough cutting, which is what I use it for. If you whack a better blade on it, it gives better results. With these cheaper saws, you are pretty much paying $48 for the saw, and the other $2 for the blade (which is generally ordinary with the smallest carbide teeth known to man) :D

Pulpo
18th August 2004, 11:36 AM
I have a few circular saws GMC, Black & Decker, Triton and a Ryobi.

I have a few for various reasons and circumstances.

B&D is by far the oldest of 18 years and the first in DIY, just gave it a good clean, works perfectly.

GMC is a couple of years old and is not a bad saw but would be suprised to see it last 10 years or more and didn't expect it for $100.

The saw size 182cm is difficult to get blades for that size, instead usually subsitute 178cm which is 7".

I agree that the saw blade is usually very average.

Some suggest replacing the bearings and the blade on the new saw and you have not a bad saw, that may last for some time.

But with these cheaper circular saws I use abrasive discs to cut steel and bricks, yes I know not good but it works so well and never really had a problem.

The GMC does not seem to allow for these discs very well, the thickness of the disc is too thick, where as on the B&D no problems.

$49 seems good enough to me, and GMC have an extraordinary after sales service program you could hardly go wrong.

Good Luck

Pulpo

Grunt
18th August 2004, 07:09 PM
I just got the fathers day catalogue from Mitre 10 which has the GMC 2000w 184mm Redeye saw for $159 and the Makita 1050w for $189

outback
18th August 2004, 07:58 PM
If ya have a hunt round you may still find a 235 Platinum (trade) series GMC for $99, As the others have said you'll nedd to buy a decnt blade, but at least if ya look after it the blade will be OK for the next saw.

E. maculata
18th August 2004, 08:11 PM
Gidday all noticed it for $38.99 today at Bunnys. IMHO one of the better GMC's, while no 5900b it's an honest little bugga, how do I know I have both. :D

Yihang
19th August 2004, 12:48 AM
WOW. i guess ill have to make the long bus ride to my local bunnings. thanks

al2
19th August 2004, 02:18 AM
I've been thu 4 circular saws over the last 20 yrs, mainly attached to the Triton workcentre. All 185mm.
Black & Decker (orange series) - quite good but burned the motor after building a kitchen, some long (2.4 mtr) desks/drawers, bookshelf. I must say it served me quite well.
Skil - used it for a few projects only and somehow dunno what happened to it - remembered it was quite good
Purchased this year:-
GMC ($39) - the first lasted two weeks before the switch gave up and went for a replacement saw, but found the replacement saw's motor/blade was misaligned with the base - gave up on them. Maybe their more expensive models might be better or maybe it was my bad luck to have got the odd lemon.
Ryobi ($79) - from Bunnings/Big W - been using it for 3 months and cut up about 15 (8x4) sheets of melamine and still running well.
I've seen the Makita and it sure feels good, but at almost $200, maybe my next saw.
There are quite a lot of cheap ($30-40) unheard of brand saws from some of the discount stores-dunno if the're any good.
Good luck