PDA

View Full Version : nova lathe on ebay in sydney

hughie
26th November 2009, 09:38 AM
Teknatool Wood Lathe Nova 3000 - woodturning woodwork - eBay Equipment, Machinery, Woodworking, Metalworking, Woodworking, Business, Industrial. (end time 29-Nov-09 12:23:24 AEDST) (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170410170779&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT)

wheelinround
26th November 2009, 01:43 PM
Ya didn't mention taht when you were around Hughie not to mind saw it last night $400 not bad wonder if it comes with the Blue one in the background:U

KevM
26th November 2009, 02:04 PM
Ya didn't mention taht when you were around Hughie not to mind saw it last night $400 not bad wonder if it comes with the Blue one in the background:U
Which blue one, I can see two!

Ozkaban
26th November 2009, 04:56 PM
I think it is being sold by the guys (Angus) who runs All tools online (http://www.alltoolsonline.com.au). He's just started being a Vicmarc distributor in syd.

Oh, I'd appreciate it if you lot would stop talking about it -- it will end up costing me more :D:D:D

Cheers,
Dave

Big Shed
26th November 2009, 05:18 PM
Been watching this one since it was listed, but I'm not talking about it:no::D

Ozkaban
26th November 2009, 05:44 PM
I was actually in carbatec today (beats working :D) and they have the Nova 1624-44 on sale for ~$1530, which I though was OK. Not a bad lathe, and a pretty good speed range for a belt change lathe. Seems to be very similar to the 3000.

The ebay one looks to have a longer bed. Bt you wouldn't want it to go much higher than say 50% of what the 1624-44 was going for new, I reckon (though I am probably way off here!)

Cheers,
Dave

wheelinround
26th November 2009, 05:51 PM
I was actually in carbatec today (beats working :D) and they have the Nova 1624-44 on sale for ~$1530, which I though was OK. Not a bad lathe, and a pretty good speed range for a belt change lathe. Seems to be very similar to the 3000.

The ebay one looks to have a longer bed. Bt you wouldn't want it to go much higher than say 50% of what the 1624-44 was going for new, I reckon (though I am probably way off here!)

Cheers,
Dave

So what did you buy???

Then again H&F's have the new one WL 46

Ozkaban
26th November 2009, 06:32 PM
So what did you buy???

If you mean at Carbatec, not a lot - a set of forstner bits, some inox and a Festool.... screwdriver (very cool bit changy thing too :D)

Salesman talked me out of a carbatec disc sander - the woodfast is a lot better, but I didn't feel like spending $300 today on it!

Cheers,
Dave

DJ’s Timber
26th November 2009, 06:41 PM
Salesman talked me out of a carbatec disc sander - the woodfast is a lot better, but I didn't feel like spending $300 today on it!

And he is right too, the Woodfast sander is way better than the Carbatec one, I'm very happy with mine :2tsup:

Ozkaban
26th November 2009, 07:41 PM
And he is right too, the Woodfast sander is way better than the Carbatec one, I'm very happy with mine :2tsup:

I couldn't spot much of a difference, then he pointed to the angle adjustment mechanism. There's $100 easily in the diffference between them right there...

DJ’s Timber
26th November 2009, 07:45 PM
I couldn't spot much of a difference, then he pointed to the angle adjustment mechanism. There's $100 easily in the diffference between them right there...

Table is also a lot more rigid, has a brake if you need to stop it and I believe it is also runs quieter too.

wheelinround
26th November 2009, 07:48 PM
If you mean at Carbatec, not a lot - a set of forstner bits, some inox and a Festool.... screwdriver (very cool bit changy thing too :D)

Cheers,
Dave

I knew I should have said something about Forstner bits to you less than half price but limited range all ex-MIK Coff's harbour. :roll:

Ozkaban
26th November 2009, 08:56 PM
I knew I should have said something about Forstner bits to you less than half price but limited range all ex-MIK Coff's harbour. :roll:

grrrr. Still, now I have a set, which is very useful for when you just need *that* size :2tsup:

wheelinround
27th November 2009, 01:41 PM
grrrr. Still, now I have a set, which is very useful for when you just need *that* size :2tsup:

Most were long shaft type and imperial sizes largest being 1 7/8" th

wheelinround
29th November 2009, 01:21 PM
Just over an hour prior finishing it was still $350+ sold for $769.20 a good deal me thinks and no I didn't even bid

Ozkaban
29th November 2009, 02:57 PM
Yeah, $769 is pretty good value. I was in there until the last 10 seconds - up to about $550 or so, then two people sniped after that and it jumped $220 in 1 second. Really didn't think it would go for $550 so I'm not disappointed, but with 10 seconds to go you do start to wonder just how lucky you could be :rolleyes:

hughie
29th November 2009, 07:56 PM
Yeah, $769 is pretty good value. I was in there until the last 10 seconds - up to about $550 or so, then two people sniped after that and it jumped $220 in 1 second. Really didn't think it would go for $550 so I'm not disappointed, but with 10 seconds to go you do start to wonder just how lucky you could be :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Yep I was in there around 450-475 but had to step out and whoosh off it went :C it was all over

colhu
29th November 2009, 10:44 PM
Hi all

It was exciting to watch, wasn't it.

The lathe is now ensconced in my workshop in Berowra - sorry I outbid you, Ozkaban. And you are right - it was Angus and he has three lovely new Vicmarks sitting in his shed.

The Nova has two bed extensions and a steel stand to match - it's nearly 1200 mm between centres. And heavy ! And Angus was able to sell me an M30 insert for my Vicmark VL100 chuck, so for $800 I'm ready to go.

Anyone interested in a good used Hafco WL18 (MC900 equivalent) located in northern Sydney ? With a Hafco scroll chuck and 2 faceplates.

cheers, Colin

wheelinround
30th November 2009, 06:02 AM
Hi all

The lathe is now ensconced in my workshop in Berowra - sorry I outbid you, Ozkaban. And you are right - it was Angus and he has three lovely new Vicmarks sitting in his shed.

The Nova has two bed extensions and a steel stand to match - it's nearly 1200 mm between centres. And heavy ! And Angus was able to sell me an M30 insert for my Vicmark VL100 chuck, so for $800 I'm ready to go.

Anyone interested in a good used Hafco WL18 (MC900 equivalent) located in northern Sydney ? With a Hafco scroll chuck and 2 faceplates.

cheers, Colin

:U At least it went to a forumite well done :2tsup:

:rolleyes: temptation

Ozkaban
30th November 2009, 09:03 AM
Hi all

cheers, Colin

No hard feelings, especially to a fellow berowra-ite! I was planning on flogging my MC-1100 if I won :rolleyes:

Enjoy the lathe. My dream lathe is a Vicmarc VL175 or VL200, if I ever get nearly good enough to justify it, which will take many years! I reckon the Nova 3000 (or the newer Nova 1624-44) are good mid level lathes that are a nice step up from the MC-XXX ones. The belt change is OK by me and the 8 speeds are much better than others I've seen...

Cheers,
Dave

colhu
30th November 2009, 07:18 PM
No hard feelings, especially to a fellow berowra-ite! I was planning on flogging my MC-1100 if I won :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Dave

Now that is seriously spooky - two people from the same suburb in Sydney who don't know each other, subscribing to the same forum based in Melbourne, and competing for the same lathe. I'll have to PM you on the basis of that!

To make it even more weird, Angus has recently joined my woodturning group (Hornsby District), but I missed the last meeting so I hadn't met him, although he recognised my name. I wonder what they were saying about me when I wasn't there?

Thanks for the good wishes

cheers, Colin

Ozkaban
30th November 2009, 07:38 PM
Now that is seriously spooky - two people from the same suburb in Sydney who don't know each other, subscribing to the same forum based in Melbourne, and competing for the same lathe. I'll have to PM you on the basis of that!

To make it even more weird, Angus has recently joined my woodturning group (Hornsby District), but I missed the last meeting so I hadn't met him, although he recognised my name. I wonder what they were saying about me when I wasn't there?

Thanks for the good wishes

cheers, Colin

If I've worked out the details in your PM correctly, then your daughter was one of my wifes friends growing up...

Berowra is a very small suburb :D

Cheers,
Dave

colhu
30th November 2009, 08:14 PM
If I've worked out the details in your PM correctly, then your daughter was one of my wifes friends growing up...

Berowra is a very small suburb :D

Cheers,
Dave

Please say hello to your wife from Megan's father.

cheers, Colin

Sawdust Maker
30th November 2009, 09:11 PM
Now that's spooky :p

Jim Carroll
1st December 2009, 08:36 AM
It really is a small world.

wheelinround
1st December 2009, 09:39 AM
Hi all

cheers, Colin

If you don't need or want to sell one of the ext bed's have someone who's interested. PM me

colhu
1st December 2009, 06:35 PM
Hi wheelin'

Hadn't really thought about selling one of the bed extensions - I would need to shorten the stand as well. I haven't turned many stool legs etc so far, but you never know.

What would you reckon a bed extension piece would be worth?

cheers, Colin

DJ’s Timber
1st December 2009, 06:40 PM
What would you reckon a bed extension piece would be worth?

A new one from CWS (http://www.cws.au.com/shop/item/teknatool-bed-extension-01) will set you back $259

Gus66
15th December 2009, 12:16 PM
Hi all

cheers, Colin
Hi there Colin
How's that lathe going? Knocking out any good gear? If I had known that you guys were on here chatting about it I would have joined earlier and drummed it up :-).
Turned another sphere it finished up a touch over 300mm weighed 12kg ...... mmmmmm .... now what to do with it.

Gus66
15th December 2009, 12:54 PM
Since some of you guys are local you might like to know that anyone can come and have a look and play on the Vicmarc lathes (VL300, VL175 or the VL100). I've got all the P&N tools as well for demo. Just give me a ring first 0412-284473 to make sure I about.
Even if you want to come around for a coffee and a yak about turning (I might learn something new) feel free.
And no the blue ones weren't included :U with the 3000.

Cheers Angus
AllToolsOnline

wheelinround
15th December 2009, 01:15 PM
Since some of you guys are local you might like to know that anyone can come and have a look and play on the Vicmarc lathes (VL300, VL175 or the VL100). I've got all the P&N tools as well for demo. Just give me a ring first 0412-284473 to make sure I about.
Even if you want to come around for a coffee and a yak about turning (I might learn something new) feel free.
And no the blue ones weren't included :U with the 3000.

Cheers Angus
AllToolsOnline

So Gus is this your site All Tools Online woodworking tools and accessories (http://www.alltoolsonline.com/) as I find that there are 3 other Alltoolsonline sites

Gus66
15th December 2009, 03:51 PM
Hey there Wheelinround
Yep, that's the site http://www.alltoolsonline.com (http://www.alltoolsonline.com/)
We haven't added all the Vicmarc Gear to the site yet but will be going up over the next couple of weeks. Most of the common accessories are in stock anything else we can get within a few days.

Cheers Angus

colhu
15th December 2009, 07:19 PM
Hi Angus

The Nova has fitted in quite nicely, thank you. It now has some racks to hold chuck key, knockout bar etc, and a small chest of drawers liberated from a kerbside cleanup pile sitting across the bottom rails of the stand to keep chucks etc out of the shavings. Such luxury. All I've got to do is make a new pivoting arm to support the dust extractor nozzle.

The WL18 went to one of the other Hornsby group members last weekend, so I've got no more excuses, except Christmas preparations, family stuff and a day job that keeps getting in the way.

I've turned out a few small things to prove that it works, but nothing major. I have two pepper mills to do on commission over the hols, so that will be a bit of fun.

The spheres you showed me were great, but I'm not sure about a 12 kg one. I think I told you about the article in Aust Woodworker a few months ago about the guy who turned a sphere in two halves then inlaid it with a dark timber to create a world globe? Let's know when you've finished yours.

By the way, Oskaban, I've still got the indexing jig sitting on the saw table waiting for you.

cheers, Colin

Ozkaban
15th December 2009, 07:58 PM
Very jealous! But you already knew that :rolleyes:

By the way, Oskaban, I've still got the indexing jig sitting on the saw table waiting for you.

Oh, man I forgot! I'll call you and come and grab it this week. Thanks for being patient!

cheers,
Dave

Gus66
16th December 2009, 09:33 PM
The spheres you showed me were great, but I'm not sure about a 12 kg one. I think I told you about the article in Aust Woodworker a few months ago about the guy who turned a sphere in two halves then inlaid it with a dark timber to create a world globe? Let's know when you've finished yours.

This is the finished sphere..... bit of an effort to move in the chuck. Might bring it to show and tell at the club in the new year if it doesn't split and open .

mmmm .... new to this so hope the pic shows up.

Cheers Angus

wheelinround
17th December 2009, 07:35 AM

This is the finished sphere..... bit of an effort to move in the chuck. Might bring it to show and tell at the club in the new year if it doesn't split and open .

mmmm .... new to this so hope the pic shows up.

Cheers Angus

Yes the club I was informed yesterday of your association with Cumberland :doh::U