PDA

View Full Version : Wooden lock-funkychook

AUSSIE
26th November 2009, 12:03 PM
Wooden Lock WIP for our mate Funky-
This is a quick one,as I promised this long ago to Funky.I am running out of time before Christmas
I started making locks after I bought a book called Making Working Wooden Locks by Tim Detweiler.
After I got the hang of it I started making them bigger and altering or making my own shapes etc.
This is sort af a combination of the book and me.All pics except the finished lock are of an older unfinished lock I have laying around.But it will give you an idea of what goes on.I use a different setup inside now.If there is any interest in them I willmake a new one next year.If not this is it.
I use a template to make the front and back,mainly because I have dowels to align the 3 body parts.
Seems my template is only understood by me:o OH Well:D
I hack out all the bits.In this case they are made from 19mm Tassy Oak (I think it is gum tree) The 3 main bits are left at 19mm,all the internals are taken down to 17-18mm for clearance.The thin bit used as a spring to operate the pin .I now use a different setup here as I had some reliability troubles with this setup.
There is a bit of fiddling with pivot arm etc,to get them all to work together.
The shank(big curved bit at the top is cut from Tassy Oak and sanded to 18mm,the 1/4" roundover bit is run around the 4 sides.The hole for the pin is next drilled very carefully.
I think you can work the rest out.
Let me know if you want questions answered.Sorry for the rough rundown Funky.
OK I forgot a pic of the KEY.Do you want one off that?

funkychicken
26th November 2009, 09:38 PM
Thanks Aussie:2tsup:

Do you have any idea about making a more complicated one, it looks like you could open that one with an allen key

AUSSIE
26th November 2009, 09:51 PM
Thanks Aussie:2tsup:

Do you have any idea about making a more complicated one, it looks like you could open that one with an allen key
Oh you are a funny feathered bird aren't you? Well I do make more complicated ones that are harder to open.If I show you my secrets everyone will know then LOL
They aren't meant to lock up your valuables you know.Now go an have a feed of chook pellets and go to bed:D:D

munruben
26th November 2009, 10:43 PM
Thanks for that Ross, I now have a bit of understanding as to how they work.:2tsup: