PDA

View Full Version : Can't bear to waste it

Frank&Earnest
26th November 2009, 07:02 PM
For many years I have wanted to get rid of an in-built wall unit 1920's style but could not bear to waste the gorgeous fiddleback face. I do not know what timber it is, but it would have to be a desert acacia of some sort. It is 4mm plywood veneered both sides. Any suggestions on the best way to reuse it? Maybe a cabinet maker could use the doors as they are: 2x640x1660, 2x490x1660, 2x640x810, 4x490x810.

At the worst, would the plywood be good for guitars etc?

The carcass can go to the tip for what I care, but I would like the face to go to somebody who can really use it.

tea lady
26th November 2009, 09:05 PM
Certainly look like amazing doors. I'm in the wrong state though. But if you can wait till January and no on else more local wants them, I think Hubby is coming over there to catch up with friends.:cool:

Frank&Earnest
27th November 2009, 10:25 AM
Time is no problem, I can always store them flat while I work out what to do with them. Based on the number of creative suggestions received so far, Anne Maria, looks like you have got yourself a deal! :wink:

tea lady
27th November 2009, 01:26 PM
Time is no problem, I can always store them flat while I work out what to do with them. Based on the number of creative suggestions received so far, Anne Maria, looks like you have got yourself a deal! :wink::cool:

Now just have to see when Hubby is going! :)

Harry72
27th November 2009, 08:55 PM
What about making them into a nice blanket box?

Frank&Earnest
27th November 2009, 09:41 PM
What about making them into a nice blanket box?

..or three? Good idea, but I do not have great cabinetmaking skills nor the desire to make anything bigger than a jewelry box. I could always store the lot and make 100 jewelry boxes, if I live that long :) (or :C depending on the mood of the day :D)

Were you considering being taker no. 2?

coffenup
27th November 2009, 10:43 PM
looks great would make some lovely boxes & gifts
regards michael

Sebastiaan56
28th November 2009, 07:51 AM
Im also a bluddy long way away Frank. I agree they would make great guitar veneers and it would be a shame to not see them used. Cross post in the musical instruments forum Im sure you will get some interest.

Frank&Earnest
28th November 2009, 02:54 PM
Thanks S

TL, I take it that you would use them again as cabinet doors?

tea lady
28th November 2009, 03:33 PM
Thanks S

TL, I take it that you would use them again as cabinet doors?

Yep! I have no desire to make anything as small as a jewelry box. :D

But if one or two people want some to make other things out of it I am not averse to sharing.:cool:

Frank&Earnest
28th November 2009, 06:18 PM
Yep! I have no desire to make anything as small as a jewelry box. :D

But if one or two people want some to make other things out of it I am not averse to sharing.:cool:

If you do not think you would use them all, the best would be for you to make a design around the measurements I have given, so we know exactly what I should set aside for you and what is available for guitars :wink:. Edited to add: or to proceed further to the Blue Mountains... :D

They are half hinged L and half R in pairs, of course.

tea lady
28th November 2009, 06:22 PM
If you do not think you would use them all, the best would be for you to make a design around the measurements I have given, so we know exactly what I should set aside for you and what is available for guitars :wink:.
They are half hinged L and half R in pairs, of course.:think: OK! Will fiddle about with a design tonight. What is the edges like? :)

Frank&Earnest
28th November 2009, 08:24 PM
:think: OK! Will fiddle about with a design tonight. What is the edges like? :)

You mean this?

tea lady
28th November 2009, 09:18 PM
You mean this?
:pi: I dunno. Got a light? Are they veneered or have some other edging on them? :?:)

Frank&Earnest
28th November 2009, 09:54 PM
TL, I'll PM you.

Harry72
28th November 2009, 10:34 PM
I dont need anymore stuff in me shed ATM, yours to claim TL:D