PDA

View Full Version : Wall lamp project

Ad de Crom
27th November 2009, 01:52 AM
I'm busy with a new wall lamp project.
This lamp is for the house of my youngest daughter, she lives together with her boyfriend since may. But first the house has to be renovated, the house get a complete new roof and after the roof is placed I have to do carpentry work upstairs, so there is waiting a lot of work for me next spring.
I made already for her a ceiling lamp for the kitchen, a table clock, and more.
In the past I made a lot of lamps, table lamps and other ceiling lamps.
This wall lamp is completely different, but this belongs to my effords to make something new I never did before. Finished yesterday the main part of the shade, what was the most tricky thing of the whole project. Took me a whole week to get it done.
The largest diameter of the shade is 290mm, tall 275mm.
I wanted to show you the result till now, I call it a lamp for mood lighting.
As always some like it, other not. But also this belongs to the live of a woodturner!!
Cheers, Ad from Holland

artme
27th November 2009, 04:23 AM
Nice one Ad. I really like that!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Your daughter is a lucky girl to have a talented and caring father like you.

Ad de Crom
27th November 2009, 04:51 AM
Thanks Arthur, more than worthy to give her my support.
Ad

hughie
27th November 2009, 09:17 AM
A great piece of work Ad :2tsup:

oldiephred
27th November 2009, 09:44 AM
I like the design and the workmanship looks good. Are ther any safety concerns with using wood for that application?

Řistein
27th November 2009, 09:57 AM
A really beautiful lamp Ad, I like it.
This is a really challenge for a segmenting woodturner.

Řistein

Texian
27th November 2009, 12:10 PM
Very cool idea Ad! I like it. Flat rings would be easy, but yours appear to be conical sections. Trying to visualize how you sanded side two before glue-up. Jam chuck?

hughie
27th November 2009, 12:18 PM
. Flat rings would be easy, but yours Trying to visualize how you sanded side two before glue-up. Jam chuck?
[/QUOTE]

Nah he turns so well does not need to sand :U :2tsup:

Ed Reiss
27th November 2009, 12:57 PM
Nice project Ad. Any particular difficulty you encountered?

Texian
27th November 2009, 04:47 PM
Nah he turns so well does not need to sand :U :2tsup:[/QUOTE]

I should have realized that.

Ad de Crom
28th November 2009, 02:24 AM
I like the design and the workmanship looks good. Are ther any safety concerns with using wood for that application?
No, not at all. Peter Bloch is specialized in wooden lamps, including wooden lamp shades. He sells wooden lamps, see his website Peter Bloch - Turned Wood Lampshades Made from Aspen Logs (http://www.woodshades.com)
Ad

Ad de Crom
28th November 2009, 02:37 AM
Nice project Ad. Any particular difficulty you encountered?
Yes many, by cutting the inside till the stage of open fins, in the first place leaving a very thin layer of wood left over by using a tooltip, was aware of getting terrible catches destroying the whole thing. Used a selfmade cutting knive for removing the last thin layer of wood.
Ad

KenW
2nd December 2009, 11:32 AM
I'm busy with a new wall lamp project.
This lamp is for the house of my youngest daughter, she lives together with her boyfriend since may. But first the house has to be renovated, the house get a complete new roof and after the roof is placed I have to do carpentry work upstairs, so there is waiting a lot of work for me next spring.
I made already for her a ceiling lamp for the kitchen, a table clock, and more.
In the past I made a lot of lamps, table lamps and other ceiling lamps.
This wall lamp is completely different, but this belongs to my effords to make something new I never did before. Finished yesterday the main part of the shade, what was the most tricky thing of the whole project. Took me a whole week to get it done.
The largest diameter of the shade is 290mm, tall 275mm.
I wanted to show you the result till now, I call it a lamp for mood lighting.
As always some like it, other not. But also this belongs to the live of a woodturner!!
Cheers, Ad from Holland
Ad, nice looking lamp.
Can you explain how you went about cutting the slots, and what holds them together.

Rum Pig
2nd December 2009, 12:16 PM
That is sure a bright idea:D:D

And beautifully turned well done:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

RETIRED
2nd December 2009, 12:55 PM
Ad, nice looking lamp.
Can you explain how you went about cutting the slots, and what holds them together.Hello, hello, do I sense a new direction here?:)

KenW
4th December 2009, 05:34 PM
Hello, hello, do I sense a new direction here?:)
There might be a new direction if Ad decides to explain the process.

Ad de Crom
4th December 2009, 07:21 PM
Hoi Ken, I explained some already in my quote to Ed, but I have a couple of pictures that will explain it better than a long story.
My first step was turning the outside shape of the shade with an oversized wall thickness at the inside to be sure I had enough wall thickness to cut the 15 grooves with an own made attachment (see pic.) The next step glueing 120 spacers which had a tight fit. (see pic.)
Than it was a matter of to cut away the wood at the inside, in the first place with a tooltip (hollowing rig), till there was only a thin layer of wood left over, I removed that thin layer of wood with an own made cutting knive to avoid catches, as I was affraid for that, getting catches would destroyed the whole thing. Anyway a time consuming operation.
Cheers, Ad

RETIRED
4th December 2009, 07:22 PM
There might be a new direction if Ad decides to explain the process.Hmm, now let me see. Rings horizontally with piercings in the rings?:wink::D

KenW
5th December 2009, 10:48 AM
Hoi Ken, I explained some already in my quote to Ed, but I have a couple of pictures that will explain it better than a long story.
My first step was turning the outside shape of the shade with an oversized wall thickness at the inside to be sure I had enough wall thickness to cut the 15 grooves with an own made attachment (see pic.) The next step glueing 120 spacers which had a tight fit. (see pic.)
Than it was a matter of to cut away the wood at the inside, in the first place with a tooltip (hollowing rig), till there was only a thin layer of wood left over, I removed that thin layer of wood with an own made cutting knive to avoid catches, as I was affraid for that, getting catches would destroyed the whole thing. Anyway a time consuming operation.
Cheers, Ad
Thanks Ad.
I couldn't work out how you did the vertical supports from your origional description. Now it all makes sense, very clever. I think your system may have other uses, I will give it some thought.
Again thanks for taking the time to post pictures and explination.

Texian
5th December 2009, 11:30 AM
Very interesting process Ad. I thought surely you built it from rings.

Manuka Jock
5th December 2009, 06:56 PM
Very interesting process Ad. I thought surely you built it from rings.

I saw that the grain lined up , so knew that it was turned not sawn .
The support system was a mystery tho .

Top work Ad :2tsup: ya clever Bugga :)

Ad de Crom
5th December 2009, 07:30 PM
Thanks guys for all the feedback, which is always very important.
Much appreciated!!
Ad

Ad de Crom
7th December 2009, 10:35 PM
Hang up this wall lamp temporarely on the wall of my livingroom.
Took this morning some pictures, so here is the endresult of my hard labor.
Finished the lamp with three layers of blanc transparent lacquer on waterbase.

KenW
8th December 2009, 11:18 AM
Hang up this wall lamp temporarely on the wall of my livingroom.
Took this morning some pictures, so here is the endresult of my hard labor.
Finished the lamp with three layers of blanc transparent lacquer on waterbase.
Ad, thats a great looking lamp, you should be pleased with the result.

artme
8th December 2009, 11:30 AM
Thanks for explaining the process Ad. A shining example of ingenuity.:D:D:D:p

hughie
8th December 2009, 12:13 PM
Ad,

An ambitious project well executed :2tsup:, perhaps not for me tho' :U

Ed Reiss
8th December 2009, 12:48 PM
Simply superb :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: