PDA

View Full Version : New colors

Resination
27th November 2009, 12:16 PM
A couple casts before the big dinner today...

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg103/DozerMite/zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz22.jpg

I'll turn them in the morning, but still don't have hardware for them.:(

Dorno
27th November 2009, 04:49 PM
OK Very nice blanks. There has to be a nack to that as I have now tried several blanks but have come up with nothing like that. Once again well done.

Ps Any tips you wish to pass on (please) lol

Cheers Ian

artme
27th November 2009, 10:38 PM
Noice!! lke the look of the blue and copper.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

dj_pnevans
27th November 2009, 11:53 PM
Looking good.
Ian wait until the resin starts to gel then mix.
David

Resination
28th November 2009, 01:08 AM
Not sure what kind of tips you want.
I don't wait until the resin is starting to gel, but rather do it by time. I know how long it takes to gel, so I pour it before that so it still flows and doesn't trap any air. If it's already gelling, it will trap air when pouring in the molds.
It's mostly just practice. Everyones environment is different and their results will depend on that.

BoomerangInfo
28th November 2009, 06:15 AM
I reckon that green one will look interesting.

I was doing some pinks yesterday and the heat was sending things off pretty quick. I should probably do some time experiments, but there seems to be quite a variance depending on the ambient temperature.

Russell.

Dorno
29th November 2009, 01:49 PM
as usual all your help and tips are appreciated.

thanks again Ian

Dorno
26th January 2010, 06:43 PM
This may sound like a stupid question but I have realised I am using way to much hardener so I have reduced the amount and It seems to be working a treat.
But what I would like to know is will it speed up the process if I use to much hardener ?
I dont mean the whole process I actually mean the time from when it starts to gel and when it is too late (gelled).
Today using less hardener it seemed a slower process between starting to go off and when resin has gelled and yes obviously it took longer for the blank to set to the stage of de molding it.

Cheers Ian

BoomerangInfo
26th January 2010, 08:56 PM
Well, I'm not sure how much slowing down you're talking about. I use the recommendaed amount (1-2%) and it gels in about 15-30 seconds, so I doubt you'll get it much slower than that.

Russell.

Resination
27th January 2010, 09:52 AM
This may sound like a stupid question but I have realised I am using way to much hardener so I have reduced the amount and It seems to be working a treat.
But what I would like to know is will it speed up the process if I use to much hardener ?
I dont mean the whole process I actually mean the time from when it starts to gel and when it is too late (gelled).
Today using less hardener it seemed a slower process between starting to go off and when resin has gelled and yes obviously it took longer for the blank to set to the stage of de molding it.

Cheers Ian

Yes, less catalyst will result in a slower cure and visa-versa. Some claim that an increase in catalyst will make for a brittle blank. I haven't had that problem, but I don't add 25% either.

Well, I'm not sure how much slowing down you're talking about. I use the recommendaed amount (1-2%) and it gels in about 15-30 seconds, so I doubt you'll get it much slower than that.

Russell.

15-30 seconds??!! That doesn't even give enough time for a good mixing let alone time to pour. Are you pouring as you stir?:p

Dorno
27th January 2010, 06:30 PM
gels in 15 to 30 seconds please explain thats pretty quick.

Ian

BoomerangInfo
27th January 2010, 07:24 PM
15-30 seconds??!! That doesn't even give enough time for a good mixing let alone time to pour. Are you pouring as you stir?:p

That's the time from when it starts to feel like it's gelling, until the time it's too thick to run anymore. If I pour as soon as I've mixed, the different specific gravity between the pigments means they settle into layers (this is mixing Polyester pigments with Pearlex, Pearlex mixes on their own seems pretty much even weighted so it's not a great drama). White always sinks to the bottom, black always sits to the top. So I have to try and wait as long as possible to pour.

So I wait 20 minutes, if I can I wait until it feels like it's starting to gel. I've had times I've felt like it's starting to gel and so I quickly pour, and it's gelled in the cup I'm pouring from before it's all gone into the mould, and I have a sticky string of resin half in & half our of the mould, like a bad case of a head cold.

Russell.

Resination
28th January 2010, 07:57 AM
I don't have the settleing issue, but I pour by time and not by how thick/gel the resin is. Mine is always poured liquid and gels in the mold. There is the problem of creating air bubbles if you wait to long and it's too thick for them to work out.
I've also mixed and poured right away without the settleing.

BoomerangInfo
28th January 2010, 08:19 AM
I don't have the settleing issue, but I pour by time and not by how thick/gel the resin is. Mine is always poured liquid and gels in the mold. There is the problem of creating air bubbles if you wait to long and it's too thick for them to work out.
I've also mixed and poured right away without the settleing.

Do you mix PE solid pigments and pearlex? That's my main problem. Also white is the primary issue with the PE pigments, but I use white in just about everything.

Russell.

Resination
28th January 2010, 08:52 AM
I use liquid and dry pigments in many combinations.

If you use a lot of white, try water dispersible Titanium Dioxide. Works well and fairly inexpensive and widely available. It can be used alone without other additives to make it opaque also.

wm460
29th January 2010, 08:22 AM
I really like the look of the green and blue blank.