PDA

View Full Version : pine wash stand completion needs

countrylady
29th November 2009, 05:27 PM
My dad left me an incomplete washstand - colonial pine he told me.

It needs a top and backpiece to put the old tiles I have on it. Also, the towel rails at the side are missing. The rest is cleaned and shellacked.

I want to know is it better to get a piece of marble or put a timber one on, of colonial pine same as the rest. I dont want a hole in it (for a basin). I thought marble might be too heavy.

I have a pattern for the back piece( found it amongst his stuff). I can see where the towel rails went but they have goo in them. I can't restore it but don't want it mucked up either. I may be able to access a woodie in my area but just need some advice on what NOT to do.
Thanks

burraboy
30th November 2009, 06:37 AM
What was on the top originally? Can you see screw or nail holes in the top of the side rails that would have held a wood top in place? I think its always best to stick to the original if you can. Pics would be very useful too!

countrylady
30th November 2009, 07:04 AM
There are nail holes about every 6" or so around the front and sides, just a few across the back a bit further apart. Interestingly, there are screw holes from the top down, in the middle of the bottom of the drawer frames. Thats a puzzle.

Not sure how to upload personal pics

Horsecroft88
1st December 2009, 01:51 PM
When you say Colonial pine, I am wondering if you may mean Baltic, Huon, Kauri, Hoop, or even Oregan. There is no such timber actually called Colonial Pine to the best of my knowledge.

Depending on how large your washstand is, this might actually influence your decision re a marble top. Basically marble is very expensive (ie approx cost I would think $500 +, depending on the actual size of the washstand) and could cost more than the commercial value of your piece. Having said that I will be getting a slab of marble for a Huon Pine washstand table I have, since this is what it would have originally come with and to find a large old piece of Huon to fit my table would be difficult. Marble does look nice and is extremely durable, but I would only use it if the structure of your washstand is sufficiently solid.

I guess if it is possible to find an old piece of which ever pine your washstand is made from might be the easier way to complete your piece. Regarding the side ? towel rails and a back for your tiles shouldnt be too much of a problem. It might be easiest, however, to discuss your needs with say a cabinet maker or antique furniture restorer to see if they can help you. All the best in restoring your piece.

burraboy
2nd December 2009, 07:24 AM
A picture really would help. Marble might not be that expensive, there used to be some good junk shops in the central west where you could pick up a piece of marble at a reasonable price, have you tried any of them?

Horsecroft88
2nd December 2009, 10:20 AM
Hey burra, pity we don't have such resources down here in Tassie, with slabs of marble laying around. To find pieces here is akin to finding chicken lips. New marble though is expensive, I have enquired.

If it were possible (as I have seen the occasional piece on ebay), the transport costs would be the killer from a cost perspective.

For you guys on the mainland it definitely is much easier.

countrylady
3rd December 2009, 08:08 PM
Thank you for your replies
Re marble-there is a granite and stone supplier in Orange that does kitchen benchtops etc. She may have an odd piece suitable. I think it may be too heavy though, so think I will opt for wood. I think you are right Burra, that it was there originally.

Re the type of wood, it is definitely pine not oregon and maybe baltic though not as white. Hasn't got the yellow of Huon. Anyway, its old and like the other pieces Dad restored for me-chests of drawers and dressers. I have some pieces of old pine from his bits, but none that size.

Thank you to both of you, I appreciate your suggestions.

countrylady
3rd December 2009, 08:11 PM
Found how to upload the pic. Just the skeleton of the piece to work with

Horsecroft88
4th December 2009, 09:33 AM
Hey Countrylady that looks like a nice piece and definitely worth restoring. You are definitely lucky to have access to granite and/or stone, and you might be right that it could be too heavy. IHowever, guess you could always perhaps take the washstand into the supplier and show them. I mean afterall at most I would have thought you would only be after a slab say 1-2cm thick. It mightn't be as heavy as you think. Just a thought.

Re the timber, (a) well done on first figuring out how to post a photo as I havn't and (b) looking at the grain, to me it looks like it could be kauri pine. Kauri was certainly used for a lot of furniture around the turn of the century. I have a kauri pine duchess (chest of drawers with trinket drawers and a mirror), which has some design features similar to your washstand.

Goodluck with it, it should come up nicely.

burraboy
4th December 2009, 08:46 PM
Yep, I've got a couple just like it, one in cedar and one kauri. I put a piece of marble on the kauri one and pink terrazo on the cedar. There seem to be a lot of those around in similar condition, just waiting for a bit of tlc. That will handle stone fine if you can find some. Drawers, backs and towel rails are straightforward too!

artme
9th December 2009, 09:02 AM
That looks very much like Kauri to me. Lucky lady!!:):):)

A granite top on that will look great.