PDA

View Full Version : Dorrigo Silky

Stopper
29th November 2009, 06:45 PM
Hi All,
I milled this log up today and the customer calls it Dorrigo Silky. "very rare" I have never cut it up before. It has the same oak grain as silky oak, forest oak etc with the medaluary rays and also has the greasy feel of silky oak and this magnificent colour. Has anyone come accross it before?

cheers
steve

artme
29th November 2009, 11:27 PM
Never seen that before!

I take it that that is green timber? :~If green it will no dout lose that magic colouring as it dries.

Any leaves, bark or other identifying features?

What does it look like cut on the quarter?

Stopper
3rd December 2009, 09:07 PM
Never seen that before!

I take it that that is green timber? :~If green it will no dout lose that magic colouring as it dries.

Any leaves, bark or other identifying features?

What does it look like cut on the quarter?

Yes green timber and the customer took it away before I could get a cut on the quarter but it is like silky oak but with smaller fleck.
No leaves or bark to compare but the customer said it was called Penata.??? I'll investigate that.

cheers
Steve

Wizened of Oz
4th December 2009, 12:13 PM
That will be Alloxylum pinnatum, Dorrigo Waratah.
Yes, it is pretty rare. And only found above 700m elevation.

Stopper
4th December 2009, 07:33 PM
Thankyou Brian,
you are a true scholar. I had no idea Dorrigo Waratah grew to a millable size.

cheers
Steve

Wizened of Oz
4th December 2009, 09:56 PM
Thankyou Brian,
you are a true scholar. I had no idea Dorrigo Waratah grew to a millable size.

cheers
Steve

Hi Steve.
No scholar, but 32 years a nurseryman.
AG Floyd "Rainforest Trees" says A. pinnatum can grow to 24m by 600mm dia. And gives the standard trade name as Dorrigo Oak.

artme
6th December 2009, 04:30 AM
When We lived in Coffs I looked at trying to grow a Dorrigo Waratah because of the flowers. Was put off when I read the growing conditions.

I thought the waratahs were Telopeas? Has the classification been changed?

Wizened of Oz
6th December 2009, 10:27 PM
I thought the waratahs were Telopeas? Has the classification been changed?

No. NSW Waratah and Gippsland Waratah are still Telopeas. The Alloxylons (formely Oreocallis) are a related genus (they are all in the Proteaceae family) and are called Waratah because of the similarly shaped flowers.
I have three A. flammeum (Qld Tree Waratah) here. Absolutely magnificent when in flower.

artme
7th December 2009, 05:20 AM
No. NSW Waratah and Gippsland Waratah are still Telopeas. The Alloxylons (formely Oreocallis) are a related genus (they are all in the Proteaceae family) and are called Waratah because of the similarly shaped flowers.
I have three A. flammeum (Qld Tree Waratah) here. Absolutely magnificent when in flower.

Have to agree about the Qld. Tree Waratah.

I haven't kept up with the latest form the industry, but some time back saw some beaut new varieties that were being trialed/released. Must ceck up and see what I can get for the garden in Bris.

Woody60
7th January 2010, 10:08 PM
Got to be from John Hodgson I'd say

TTIT
9th January 2010, 10:31 PM
When We lived in Coffs I looked at trying to grow a Dorrigo Waratah because of the flowers. Was put off when I read the growing conditions.

I thought the waratahs were Telopeas? Has the classification been changed?I know where there is one growing in Coffs - my old man showed it to me many years ago when he was trying to talk the owner into letting him attack it - never did get any of it :C

Runge
11th January 2010, 11:38 AM
That will be Alloxylum pinnatum, Dorrigo Waratah.
Yes, it is pretty rare. And only found above 700m elevation.

Since I know nothing of this species, I just looked into it. It is Alloxylon pinnatum.

Alloxylon pinnatum - Growing Native Plants (http://www.anbg.gov.au/gnp/interns-2005/alloxylon-pinnatum.html)