PDA

View Full Version : What should I do?

Sebastiaan56
30th November 2009, 09:30 AM
My mother got given this dresser. It is reputedly from the 1850's, it is solid cedar. It needs some TLC as you can see. There is shrinkage on all of the panels but it is still solid. At least Ive talked her out of painting it black....

We are planning a lick of Carnuba and installing some replacement hardware. Recommendations please, what style of handles, etc What kind of finish would be original? Button lac? I assume we would radically decrease its value if we did a whole rebuild, how far should we go?

Woodwould
30th November 2009, 05:07 PM
I'm not sure what the timber is, nor the finish, but waxing the dressing table sounds like the way to go. It's circa 1930, not 1850. It would originally have had handles similar to A114 on page 4 of this catalogue (http://www.palesinstyle.com.au/restoration.htm).

billrule
30th November 2009, 07:51 PM
Yes, I'd hate to be a bearer of bad news, but I would have placed the style much later than 1800's. I'm also tempted to say that, if you'd asked me to guess the species, I would have said Ash (if of overseas origin), rather than Cedar, BUT judging such things from the computer screen is fraught with danger. It's undeniably a nice piece though, and appears in very good nick.

Bill

Sebastiaan56
1st December 2009, 12:50 PM
Thanks guys,

the dating is folklore and came with the donated item. Im pretty sure its Cedar, the colour and grain are a dead giveaway. Great link Wood, thx

burraboy
2nd December 2009, 07:32 AM
The close-up of the mirror frame looks like Tassy oak to me which would tie in well with the 1920/30's Deco style. Some of the varnishes they used then are pretty horrible too. Best of luck and hopefully a good wax will pick it up.
Thanks too WW for the hardware link. I've got a couple of pieces that need odd handles in those particular styles.

artme
9th December 2009, 09:08 AM
"taint Cedar. At the very outside perhaps one of the American conifers used extensively during that period. Might even be Tas OAk by the look of the grain on the back.

AlexS
9th December 2009, 03:15 PM
I wouldn't try to pick the timber from the screen, but I'm with WW on the age. They almost stopped making full cedar Australian furniture in the 1850s when it pretty well ran out. It would be unusual if yours is Aussie cedar (but probably means it's a better quality unit.

Horsecroft88
10th December 2009, 05:32 PM
Actually that is not true at all, cedar was used for furniture well after the 1850s. Check out Carters' antique guides on this, or pretty much any reputable antique dealer, antique auctions etc.

I have numerous antiques dating between the early 1820s upto probably 1890s vintage which used full cedar. However, I would have agreed that the use of aussie red cedar ceased to be used after 1910-20, simply due to the rarity and therefore cost of it by then. On the other hand, the wholesale use of red cedar for joinery purposes would have been relatively rare in house construction post 1880s or thereabouts.

In my two historic properties, my country property dated from 1824 has extensive use of cedar (ie, architraves, French window reveals, 6 panel doors, door reveals etc. In my city 1840's house the use of cedar was restricted to the reveals around the front door, mantles and some of the door reveals.

I am also not so sure personally I would either agree that because a piece wasn't constructed from cedar that it makes it a better piece, since from both a collectability perspective (ie. investment) Colonial/Georgan and Victorian cedar antiques are highly valuable, and in most cases more so than their equivalent in Mahogany. Only Birds Eye Huon and Rosewood is lgenerally likely to command higher prices. Having said that I have seen many Colonial Cedar antiques go for prices no other timber could command over the past few years. In addition, since cedar is not subject to Borer, unlike most pines and hardwood, on the contrary from a longevity perspective antique furniture constructed from cedar I would have said is definitely preferable. Please dont get me wrong though I do like pine antiques (be they Huon, baltic, kauri, oregon etc), but hardwood personally does little for me.

Irrespective of my own personal views and observations, nethertheless all the best with the restoration of the dresser, since it is a reflection of the period and therefore has so much more merit than most of the rubbish furniture made and sold today IMO.

AlexS
11th December 2009, 06:22 PM
It would be unusual if yours is Aussie cedar (but probably means it's a better quality unit.
Sorry, didn't express myself too well. What I meant was that if it was Aussie cedar, and was from a later period, it is probably better quality, as by then they had largely stopped using it for cheaper pieces.

Horsecroft88
11th December 2009, 10:32 PM
Hi Alex, that is perfectly all right and of course I too probably undoubtedly didn't read what you were trying to say as well as I should have. Hopefully no offence from my comments. I do now though understand what you were trying to say :D and agree, for it would have been most unusual for furniture as late as the style of this piece to have been made from cedar and if so, very special.

My best guess like some others who have suggested, and it is extremely hard to tell from photos is that it most likely would have been made from hardwood (ie. like say Tassie Oak etc) and then perhaps treated with a dark/reddish stain similar to cedar. As anyone who works regularly with cedar would know it has a very distinct grain. However, I once restored an antique hardwood mantle and with the careful use of stains and shellac finish, most people couldn't tell it was not cedar without looking very closely at it.

austermite
14th December 2009, 11:47 PM
Hi Sebastiaan56

It looks like a nice piece. If the finish is not badly damaged I think I would just clean it and wax it and see how it looked. I would probably want it to look like an old piece in good condition rather than look "restored" or "done up". I'd probably accept some damage if it added character without detracting from the overall appearance.

I did a finishing course some years ago and the teacher had a four part mixture for cleaning pieces like this which would clean without damaging the original finish. The only problem is I can't remember what was in the four part mixture. It was something like equal parts mineral turps, vegetable turps, linseed oil and something else, possible methelated spirits, although metho by itself tends to strip old pieces.

I think a lot of pieces like this get far too much done to them, especially sanding. A lot of people wreck the flatness when they sand. That wavy, dished out "sanded back" look really doesn't do it for me.

Regards

Gerard