PDA

View Full Version : When to sharpen planes

forunna
19th August 2004, 02:29 AM
Just out of curiosity, when do people sharpen planes?
(and are Falcon planes decent?)
When they are put away, so they can be used immediately next time?
or when they are about to be used, so you know its sharp?

bitingmidge
19th August 2004, 08:01 AM
Boxing Day, while watching the first session of the Test with the Hobart Race start in the top right hand corner of the split screen, before it's my turn to bat in the back yard.

P
:D :D :D

IanW
19th August 2004, 08:29 AM
[QUOTE=forunna]Just out of curiosity, when do people sharpen planes?
[QUOTE]

About an hour after I !##@! should have, on average......

As Midge so eloquently put it, it's a good job to do when you're feeling brain-dead, escaping from the guests, or otherwise avoiding something you should be doing.

Even Derek admitted a few days back that the real reason he has so many planes is so he can kep reaching for a sharp one!
I suppose there must be plenty of organised w'workers who sharpen all tools before putting them away for the night (I've read about them, but haven't actually MET one, yet). It only took me about 40 years, and losing a couple (numerous?) precious objects in the shavings and scraps to learn to clean up thoroughly each night! In the time I've got left, by golly, I'm going to teach myself to sharpen every night.....
Avagooday,

Dan
19th August 2004, 10:21 PM
I usually get all fired up, then after a couple of strokes realise that the blade is still blunt from last weekends activities so have to get unfired and sharpen. I think I should get into the habit of sharpening before I start anything else (a bit like a warm up exercise).

craigb
19th August 2004, 10:54 PM
I usually get all fired up, then after a couple of strokes realise that the blade is still blunt from last weekends activities

Yep. So how do you get yourself out of trouble ? :D :D

Inquiring minds want to know :p :p

Craig