PDA

View Full Version : Memories

artme
2nd December 2009, 02:46 AM
Went to a little bar on a corner near here this morning. Right within staggering distance of the house.

Being Brasil you would expect Brasilian music in the bars, but that is not always the case. However to my surprise this morning was a feast of that beautiful soft Brasilian jazz from the 60s and 70s.

When I was studying at high school in the mid sixties I would listen to the ABC until late at night. Eric Child was one host who played lots of that music. I was into it long before Sergio Mendez hit the airwaves. So this morning was a pleasant and relaxing time.

The first time I came to Brasil we were having lunch in a sidewalk restaurant. Sitting next to us was Vinicius de Morias and Tom Jobim. Vinicius wrote the words to "The Girl From Ipenema" and Tom wrote the music. Just one of those things.

Sebastiaan56
2nd December 2009, 07:38 AM
name dropper....

sounds like my kind of scene. good one!

The Bleeder
2nd December 2009, 08:01 AM
six degrees of separation:2tsup:

Lucky bugger wish I could join you....ahhh back to work.

munruben
2nd December 2009, 08:47 AM
Nice little trip down memory lane Arthur. Hope you managed to stagger home safely.:)

artme
5th December 2009, 02:49 AM
Love to drop names. Tried to drop mine but was caught!!!:p:p

Drinking here is a different kettle of fish. There are little shopfront bars all over the place, You can buy beer almost anywhere. Most of these concerns are sidewalk places. You sit, you have a beer, you talk and have a laugh. There's a group of regulars at the bar -4or5 -. They get two Bottles -650ml.- and sit for about two hours discussing the state of everything. That's what having a drink should be like.

hughie
19th December 2009, 09:30 PM
There's a group of regulars at the bar -4or5 -. They get two Bottles -650ml.- and sit for about two hours discussing the state of everything. That's what having a drink should be like.
[/QUOTE]

No argument from me. :2tsup: spent sometime in the EU and enjoyed this style of drinking

artme
21st December 2009, 09:52 AM
Had lunch across the road today with the neighbours and their family. Great people.
The son speaks fluent English and the conversation floated back and forth around the table in a mixture of two languages until the topic of music arose. Mauricio - English speaker- went inside and came out with a guitar We were treated to some Bossa Nova for 1/2 hr or so. Great stuff!!