PDA

View Full Version : Distorted Roughs

Little Festo
2nd December 2009, 07:42 PM
Hello All,

A few photos of some bloodwood I roughed out about a year ago. Will be turning them tomorrow:D. Amazingly no cracks. I think I might have to carve this lot, the undercut rims should provide a bit of a challenge.

Peter

Tony Morton
2nd December 2009, 08:11 PM
Hi Peter

First one looks like it do with some blowtorch to the outer area of top and power brush to a satin finish then sand the raised rim area to give a nice contrast. Interested to see how they finish up.

Cheers Tony

Little Festo
2nd December 2009, 08:16 PM
Hi Peter

First one looks like it do with some blowtorch to the outer area of top and power brush to a satin finish then sand the raised rim area to give a nice contrast. Interested to see how they finish up.

Cheers Tony

Thanks for the tip Tony, good idea.

Peter

Manuka Jock
2nd December 2009, 08:40 PM
Damm fine ovals there mate :2tsup:

you could not have done those better if you tried eh :D

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachments/f8/123404d1259743300t-distorted-roughs-bloodwood-roughs-03.jpg (http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachments/f8/123404d1259743300-distorted-roughs-bloodwood-roughs-03.jpg)

That one on the right , make a bowl harp out of it .
Pegs , strings , machine heads , Music .

Sawdust Maker
2nd December 2009, 10:35 PM
Did you get yourself one of them oval turning lathes? :D

tea lady
2nd December 2009, 11:31 PM
:D Well they ovated didn't they? :doh: Yes those ones might be for carving.:D Wil still look great though.:cool:

artme
3rd December 2009, 02:25 AM
Very blood y clever!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Ad made a special machine to do that!:D:D:D:p

Ad de Crom
3rd December 2009, 02:41 AM
Very blood y clever!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Ad made a special machine to do that!:D:D:D:p
If I look to this result, I throw my thingy into the trashcan :D
Ad

Texian
3rd December 2009, 03:01 AM
Ad, Looks to me like your "thingy" is still needed to do the finish turning. If you rough turned such a piece oval, would it dry round? Or roughed the other direction would it dry extremely oval?

Ad de Crom
3rd December 2009, 03:27 AM
[QUOTE=Texian;1073845]Ad, Looks to me like your "thingy" is still needed to do the finish turning. If you rough turned such a piece oval, would it dry round? I suppose so. Or roughed the other direction would it dry extremely oval? Not likely :no:
Cheers Richard :2tsup:

rsser
3rd December 2009, 06:36 AM
Nice one Peter.

Least you got them centred.

Manuka Jock
3rd December 2009, 07:42 AM
ad, looks to me like your "thingy" is still needed to do the finish turning. If you rough turned such a piece oval, would it dry round? Or roughed the other direction would it dry extremely oval?
good point .
Ad , we await the results of your wet oval turning tests

Little Festo
3rd December 2009, 08:07 AM
Did you get yourself one of them oval turning lathes? :D

Really thought about it but decided against it in the end. I don't have enough time to fully explore the options of turning and carving. Would still be nice though.

I roughed some boxes too, they are pretty useless but the tops and bottoms would still match if carved but a lot of/ too much work.

Thanks for the tips guys. I was wondering what I could do to them.

Any one else got some warped bowls:D???

Peter

RETIRED
3rd December 2009, 09:11 AM
Dunno about bowls but some say I am.:D

Rum Pig
3rd December 2009, 09:33 AM
its a pity they look like they would have been nice bowls:~
If it was me I would put them away for a rainy day and carve them to keep there shape slow going but should be worth it:2tsup:
If you still have the tenon cut on the bottom leave it on that should keep turners guessing that see them:U

dai sensei
3rd December 2009, 10:22 PM
Bummer :C

Looks like they were stacked on their sides :rolleyes:

Perhaps it's time to consider buying an oval turning device to finish them :-