PDA

View Full Version : Stretch Rollerball

ciscokid
4th December 2009, 06:24 AM
In buckeye burl. I'll never tire of this timber. I like this pen and I enjoyed working with a fresh kit - not too bulky and not nearly as heavy in the pocket as an Emperor. Writes nicely too with the included Schmidt 5888 cartridge. Comments and criticisms welcome.

timberbits
4th December 2009, 07:50 AM
That's a fantastic piece of timber! The colour really matches the plating of the kit.

Excellent finish and fit.

Thanks for sharing.

Timberbits.

Rum Pig
4th December 2009, 08:29 AM
Very very nice :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
I have some of that on the way I can't wait:U:U

artme
4th December 2009, 09:09 AM
Another beauty!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

gawdelpus
4th December 2009, 10:36 AM
Well done ! the buckeye can be a challenge I have found it a bit softer than our usual timbers we use here, looks like you have got it nailed hehe, did you extend the tubes to lengthen them ? Cheers ~ John :2tsup::2tsup:

PenTurner
4th December 2009, 05:37 PM
:)We don't tire of the BuckEye Burl either. Great work again.:2tsup::2tsup:PS Al I don't know why that style has never really grabbed me. Possibly just like the Churchill , once I had one given me I was hooked!!! Amos:)

Sawdust Maker
4th December 2009, 06:47 PM
very nice pen - like the buckeye

I've a little - haven't been game to use it as yet but I'm hopeful of a similar texture/grain/thingy as you seem to get

poulso
4th December 2009, 08:30 PM
Nice pen:2tsup:

ciscokid
4th December 2009, 11:32 PM
Thanks for the replies. :) No, Gawdelpus, I did not lengthen the tubes. They come stock at 3-3/8" long. If using a standard commercially purchased pen blank, (as opposed to one that you cut up yourself) I find that I can make a Stretch and still have enough left over for a Sierra or a Majestic Squire. I abhore waste. And, yes, it can be a bit soft if not stabilized. I use a mixture of both and one must exercise caution while turning the fresh stuff. The first half dozen coats of CA just drink right on in and stabilize it after turning. You don't start building a coat of CA until it's done absorbing it.
Good luck with yours, Sawdust Maker. This species of timber varies greatly regarding color. I've been disappointed in the past when buying blanks unseen and getting mostly yellow sapwood. These days I only buy blocks from vendors who post photos of the actual turning stock so I know what I am getting. I concentrate on ones with little to no yellow at all and the more greys and blues and orange swirls the better. I have to cut them up myself but that's no problem and sometimes I get a better deal this way.
I know what you mean about the style of pen, Amos. I never wanted to turn one either until Sam recently made one and posted it here. Whether it was his excellent photography or his workmanship that turned me I cannot say, but I knew right then I had to make one. I ordered the kits later that same day! :)

PenTurner
5th December 2009, 08:53 AM
Yes Al, I remember that pen Sam displayed here,:2tsup: I reckon I will have to try one--BUT--I might get hooked on it!:oo: Amos:)

Simomatra
5th December 2009, 09:42 AM
Well done Al

I love that timber and as you know I also favour that kit is shows off the blank to its best. I have to more to post later and both are sold.

Amos you will have a little parcel in the post next week so you can play all you want

BoomerangInfo
6th December 2009, 01:26 PM
Great job Cisco.

That never ending supply of BEB of yours getting low yet??

Russell.

PenTurner
6th December 2009, 03:29 PM
Great, just what I:D need, someone to feed the addiction!:) Amos-Al looks like I have to get turning again! Amos:)

ciscokid
7th December 2009, 04:01 AM
Great job Cisco.

That never ending supply of BEB of yours getting low yet??

Russell.

Just ordered two more large blocks. :wink: