PDA

View Full Version : Makita Circular Saw Value Pack - skip on Bunnings

Sheumack
5th December 2009, 12:10 PM
This is one of those "don't make the mistakes that I have made" posts.

At the moment (and possibly continously), Makita do a "Value Pack" for their entry-level Teal 185mm (7 1/4") power saw. Basically you get an extra blade in the box, meaning you get both 24- and 40- teeth blades. Excellent starter pack.

Here's the catch -
Thifty-link and all online tool-shops carry the N5740NB-SP. This is the box found on the Makita site, and contains the N5740NB which is pretty well the classic Makita 185mm circular saw - a 1050W sidewinder with a solid Aluminum base. I've seen street price for $179 for this kit.

The Bunnings box looks identical, but the saw is actually 5806B. This doesn't appear on the Makita website, so I'm guessing its a Bunnings only model. 1050W sidewinder with a PRESSED STEEL base. Price - $178.

The other difference is that it contains one less bush in the blade assembly. I'm not sure exactly what impact this has, but both the 5606 and 5740 use the different blade mounting hardware.

I'm particularly annoyed because I did all my research, and ended up buying the wrong thing because I failed to take my notes with me to the store. Not annoyed enough to drive down to Alexandria and argue with Bunnings' return counter, but enough to feel miffed at them for selling what is (based on these forums) an inferior product for the same price.

Buyer beware... especially if you are planning to put a Power saw under the Christmas tree this year.

In praise of Makita - they did send me some stickers for my tool box ;)

Matt

Cliff Rogers
5th December 2009, 12:17 PM
Good tip. :2tsup:

Sydney Tools have it for $169 here (http://www.sydneytools.com.au/shopexd.asp?id=982&bc=no).

pinprokil
17th December 2009, 11:44 AM
I fired the routers up today and cut a few dovetails and pins in some scrap Myrtle (squared up on the Kapex http://cdn.woodworkforums.com/images/smilies/standard/wink.gif). I started the router up in low speed made a cut then hit the Safety switch off. I increased the speed up to the next step and started up again, watching carefully to see if there was any discernible movement of the router due to torque. I repeated this process for each cut I made until I reached maximum speed.

rsser
17th December 2009, 01:14 PM
Yeah, a salutory lesson.

And Sydney Tools have great prices re Cliff's post.

Just got a Bosch 12" SCMS with stand from them for about $989 shipped if I remember the numbers right.

SpiritLevel
17th December 2009, 04:18 PM
+1 for Sydney Tools - always good!

I have no connection to Sydney Tools, but always found their prices and range very attractive

rsser
17th December 2009, 04:21 PM
yeah; I ordered the SCMS on Sunday on the website and it was delivered in Melb on Tuesday.

Lot better than some online retailers who advertise a wide range of stuff but when you order they have to get it in from the distributor.

Shipping was only $20 and there must be 40kg and close to a cube in it.